smirke's cruiser

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
they might be newer
they might be more comfortable
they may even tow better

but I will stick with my 12.5L/100 (towing) in my Patrol thanks

Never got that in my beast :( but at least I don't lose 60km/hr towing up anymore hills.......a lot safer when a road train is screaming up behind you.

true, but its only Red Hill & the one on Brookton Hwy, that I loose more than 20kms/per/hour going up

and if the road train has more "ooommmppphhhh" than me, good on him, he can overtake
only had that happen once (between Gerro & Northampton), because I forgot to down change before the base of the hill
I over took him at the next one, and screamed past him (at 80/km/hour)

Reactions: Smirke and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was talking to a fella with a 200 series and he was telling me that he has his religously serviced by Toyota as there is something that only Toyota can service so you can't service it yourself, couldn't tell me what though, sounded like rubbish to me though, anyone know anything.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Very clean. Great play for kids. Ensuite big and new. Been spending 4 hours a day in the pools etc with kids. Tennis ppong and playground. Great for family....

Beware the green ants. Parked the car touching one frond next day car covered in ants, still squashing them 4 days latter. They dont bite. Someone called them honey ants..haven't had the urge to taste one yet.Probably one of the best parks we have been at for kids the age of ours.
Ive eaten them there ok dont eat the hole thing just the back bit mmmmmm bush tucker

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Maybe they can do special things o_O

The only special thing we got with ours a bottle of crap wine and the $210/service charge and that ended at 60,000km. On the positive news the 70,000km service has been quoted at $350. :) Still cheaper than the disco service use to be! $450/service......oh wait......that was every 20,000km! as the dog said......bugger.... Toybota is making a mint of us Cruiser owners.....:(

Reactions: Drover

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well, we made it back in one piece. The van seems to push the cruiser around a little on the downhill turns compared to the patrol. Averaged 24.5L/100km on the way home. Hopefully that will get better with age. Also sat on 100km/hr on the way home so I suppose that's good.
Had to give the beast a quick clean today. We went away shiney and white and came back dusty n orange . But at least we made sure it did the 4x4 thing ok. Tracks were dug up a lot more than usual and the sand was quite soft and boggy this trip. Happy to report no bogging (except when I stopped in the boggy stuff on a corner to allow our friends to get to the top of a hill . Quick reverse and floored it and up we went). Suspension certainly got a good work out, and we tested the strength of the glass with the youngests head on a couple of bumps.
One of our friends works for Toyota so will enquirer about that 'special part' @Drover .

Overall, was pleased with how the car performed. Certainly have racked up the k's.

KEZE

Apr 17, 2016
Perth
Hi Smirke,

We are only new to the forum and have just recently placed an order for a 20.62-3 OB StarCraft due for delivery in June. As we have a 200 series I wanted ask a few question regarding your vehicle set up.

1. looks like you have had the suspension done, what brand and set up did you go for? did you raise the car evenly or higher in the front?
2. Are you using a WDH and how have you set up the tow ball arrangement? Would I get away with a standard Toyota hitch or will it be to high with standard suspension?
3. And what is that strapped to your draw bar?

look forward to your response.

Keze.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi Smirke,

We are only new to the forum and have just recently placed an order for a 20.62-3 OB StarCraft due for delivery in June. As we have a 200 series I wanted ask a few question regarding your vehicle set up.

1. looks like you have had the suspension done, what brand and set up did you go for? did you raise the car evenly or higher in the front?
2. Are you using a WDH and how have you set up the tow ball arrangement? Would I get away with a standard Toyota hitch or will it be to high with standard suspension?
3. And what is that strapped to your draw bar?

look forward to your response.

Keze.

Hi @KEZE we got a 2" lift all round and the suspension was ride pro. It was installed by ORE which is up the road from me. (The boss there put it on his cruiser ...Sahara....so I figured it must be ok.
We don't use a wdh but did get polyairbags put in and had them at 25psi for the trip. It all went well except the rear tank only filled to 2/3 full so it sloshed around a bit.
We had to buy a huge drop hitch from jayco as our other adjustable one wasn't big enough. The Toyota one would be way too high if you get it lifted.

On the drawbar I had my reclining chair, bbq and its trolley strapped. We haven't got a box yet so I figured I'd make use of it. Cut up mesh from a security door and cable tied that down first. Worked a treat. Even managed to put the waste hose and tackle box on it for the trip home. Never moved at all. I had it really tied down. Still there too as I can't be bothered getting it off yet!
Hope that helps. If you want pics, let me know.

Reactions: Drover and dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@KEZE I tried a wdh on my setup. 200 series (50mm lift) with a jurgens lunagazer (24ft) 220kg towball weight when loaded. Drop hitch is 285mm. No airbags.

Wdh wasn't needed. Van sits level without it when both cruiser and van are fully loaded.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Was talking to a fella with a 200 series and he was telling me that he has his religously serviced by Toyota as there is something that only Toyota can service so you can't service it yourself, couldn't tell me what though, sounded like rubbish to me though, anyone know anything.

I think its the little "spanner light" on the dash (same as the later model Patrols) (to tell you it needs a service) it dont matter if you service it yourself, but the little light on the dash WONT go off............
hence having to take it to the stealers for them to plug a Laptop in and re-set that code

they dont tell you what the code is
Scan Gauge & the like cannot register the code as there or delete it either............

Reactions: Drover and dagree