smirke's cruiser

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
The trip to the top of Oz has resulted in a change of car.......earlier than expected. So we will swap the patrol for a cruiser. The decision was a big one, and I am still in denial over the price of the thing but hope the car is as good as people say as then we will probably decide to keep it for longer than the 4 years that we have it for.

Well, pick up for the cruiser is this Wednesday. Would have been tomorrow, but the east had a public holiday today.....bummer.
What we bought : 2016 200 series GXL diesel cruiser
with 2" lift and hd suspension,
polyair bags,
bullbar and
swapped the standard tyres over for the cooper st max which is the same as we have on the patrol.

It will also get a lot more 12v outlets and a 3rd battery, a roof rack , snorkel, possibly spotties, uhf radio and maybe an anderson plug.

Went to ORE in myaree, with son #2,
which happens to be 5 minutes down the road, to see if we could get a peak at the car. They had it on the hoist with the front off ready to put the bulbar on it but let us take a look, which was really nice of them.

so, here she is....

IMG_7239.JPG IMG_7241.JPG IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG IMG_7245.JPG IMG_7247.jpg

Kieran got to help with the bullbar, made his day!!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
OOOOOHHHHH so jealous..... Will keep an eye out for the BWB on my travels in your area... Might call into ORE and see if they'll let me take it for a test drive (On your behalf of course ;) )..... Have to make sure nothing falls off before you pick it up :behindsofa:

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
OOOOOHHHHH so jealous..... Will keep an eye out for the BWB on my travels in your area... Might call into ORE and see if they'll let me take it for a test drive (On your behalf of course ;) )..... Have to make sure nothing falls off before you pick it up :behindsofa:

Ha ha ha. already asked the young kid how it drove as he drove it the whole 150m from Toyota to ORE! He's more shocked when I said it was going to coral bay for some 4x4 and fishing in 3 weeks, and then in 3 and a half months it will be on the gibb.
Have possibly been talked into a pricey uhf that doesn't need to have holes made in the dash. ($450 I think I was told)
It's one of these ....
image.jpeg

Apparently they work really well. I like the idea of no holes, so can take it with you and there's no signs it was there.
Was also shown some spekky spotties, but at $1699 they are staying in their box in the shop.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Smirke
Nothing like the smell and sound on a new LC200!

Hope it is everything you expect, and then some - we are so happy with ours.

I put in the GME 3540S - Remote head & mic. Set mounted under glovebox and remote head mounted to the left of the dash behind the wiper control. Keeps it out of site when not using it.

Cheers,

Rohan

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Smirke If you want to mount the mic where it can be seen without holes visible in the dash this is what I did for mine.... A small angled bracket that gets screwed in behind the dash between panels... And the panel where the cable comes out can be replaced if needed if removed.

UHF_002.jpg UHF_003.jpg

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Was thinking if we get one, that I'd just use the almighty Velcro to hold it (the hand piece bit) in place.
Price wise, is $450 steep? Haven't really looked in to them, but the guy at ore said it would be a good price at the show.

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Was thinking if we get one, that I'd just use the almighty Velcro to hold it (the hand piece bit) in place.
Price wise, is $450 steep? Haven't really looked in to them, but the guy at ore said it would be a good price at the show

Velcro works, but not sure how well it will hold up on the GRR ;) you can buy some clips that suit the dash and don't mark it, will try and find the brand and let u know.

The price is pretty standard for a good quality UHF, probably $50 either way if you were to look at other in similar features etc

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I know you mentioned they install them, but do they actually come out to your vehicle at the show and fit them, if so that is pretty cool..
Yep. Had both the younger of the 2 owners (other one just returned from US) and the guy who actually assembles them in the factory come out to the car and check on my "upside down" mirror. Which the boss started to take off to fix before younger guy rocked up after installing one on a cruiser just a couple of spots away. It was the 4x4 show, but same happens at the van show, or has done in the past. They take your order, you pay, they then tell you approx time and you go with them to car while they put them on. Perfect! Obviously car needs to be close enough to do.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Reactions: bigcol and dagree