smirke's cruiser

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Apologies to Smirke for side tracking the forum...
That's ok. I do it all the time....but then I am a girl, so it's to be expected.

Thanks for those tips for cairns. We are there (in cairns itself) for 5 days, the same for port Douglas, a couple of nights in cook town and the daintree, and then are making our way down the coast, to the theme parks again.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ah.... The joys of anticipation.

There are loads of great places on the way down so don't hurry too much. If you can get out to the reef, grab the opportunity and enjoy it but it depends on weather and time available as to best jump off point.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Ah.... The joys of anticipation.

There are loads of great places on the way down so don't hurry too much. If you can get out to the reef, grab the opportunity and enjoy it but it depends on weather and time available as to best jump off point.
plan is to do the reef, just hope we aren't disappointed as we snorkel the ningaloo reef (coral bay) every april. At least we can say we've done it.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Fridge will continue to run going up/down a range. The three way fridges aren't as picky as they used to be. The only explosions I've heard of are ones with self igniting pilot lights.

Thinking about gas safety...I'm going to go turn off the gas before I go to sleep...I'm in a park at the moment....

@Smirke Sidetracked again..maybe I'm a girl too....Jeeze I must be the ugliest girl I've ever seen..

Reactions: Drover and Smirke

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Some places on the gbr are better than others, and some are easier to get to and some are just commercial.

We've sailed those areas for years and my favourites are the remote areas but they're not as easy to get to.

If you're used to snorkelling etc you might be disappointed ....hope not but anything departing from Airlie would give you a taste.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
hate to go backwards but why don't manufacturers produce 12v outlets that can look like this for kids in the back seat????????????????????
72983853.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Fridge will continue to run going up/down a range. The three way fridges aren't as picky as they used to be. The only explosions I've heard of are ones with self igniting pilot lights.

Thinking about gas safety...I'm going to go turn off the gas before I go to sleep...I'm in a park at the moment....

@Smirke Sidetracked again..maybe I'm a girl too....Jeeze I must be the ugliest girl I've ever seen..

Hey Dean...relax about the gas.

You're safe if the van gas is safely installed etc . They're designed to do that.

Just not as safe if you leave it on while travelling. They're not designed for that.

So sleep easily.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
on the gas whilst travelling issue, why on bleeding earth would you want to travel with a mobile bomb attached????????????????????????????????????????

Forget the laws, the simple """"""I don't want to die gene""""""""""""""""""""""""" should kick in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@peterg Funny really. Looked at a few manufacturers websites. It seems that only France and Australia have any objection to gas on while driving.

I suppose the Nazis took pver France in WWII cause they run from bombs, some things don't change....LOL

Reactions: peterg

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Let's not get opinion mixed up with facts. Data of people dying in vans while sleepinh bersus while driving with gas on? Personaly I don'thave either and my oponion is based on heresay not statistics... my txting is attrotious...

Reactions: Bluey

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well, had some sad news....to me anyway. The roofrack I want makes the car too tall for the garage. Damn! Rand the place where I looked at them at the show to get heights. Oh well. May be just getting the bars and then fit our old tiny basket to the top will be fine. I don't want to be putting it on and off everytime I want to use it, that's just silly. Have run out of time to organize anything for coral bay. Son #3 is going to be devastated. He spends hours on the kayak paddling around and capsizing it.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well we made it to coral bay. Car had plenty of pulling power however the van swayed a few times. I knew she was heavy but we didn't have anything extra in her, infact we were 4 boogie boards lighter! Found the culprit in arriving at geraldton, the rear water tank had only filled to 3/4.
anyway , day 2 driving was better.
The economy heading up was shocking!!!!! 25.6l/100km from Perth to Gero! Hopefully she'll get better with age like the patrol did.

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
[QUOTE="Smirke, post: 149585, member: 3826"
The economy heading up was shocking!!!!! 25.6l/100km from Perth to Gero! Hopefully she'll get better with age like the patrol did.[/QUOTE]

Yep, our first trip with the van was shocking for fuel use and had me pretty concerned - it'll get better and if you don't have a strong headwind it'll get better again.