smirke's cruiser

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Very clean. Great play for kids. Ensuite big and new. Been spending 4 hours a day in the pools etc with kids. Tennis ppong and playground. Great for family....

Beware the green ants. Parked the car touching one frond next day car covered in ants, still squashing them 4 days latter. They dont bite. Someone called them honey ants..haven't had the urge to taste one yet.Probably one of the best parks we have been at for kids the age of ours.

Reactions: burnsie and Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Very clean. Great play for kids. Ensuite big and new. Been spending 4 hours a day in the pools etc with kids. Tennis ppong and playground. Great for family....

Beware the green ants. Parked the car touching one frond next day car covered in ants, still squashing them 4 days latter. They dont bite. Someone called them honey ants..haven't had the urge to taste one yet.Probably one of the best parks we have been at for kids the age of ours.
Thanks @Dean Anderson . Will definitely keep an eye out for the ants. (Making a note on the itinery as I type)

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Got an Anderson plug on both car n van yesterday.
While there the auto sparky noticed the way jayco had wired up the fridge and other connection which are hidden under the van by a metal plate. He undid it all and soldered and heat shrunk the joins and put them all back. Very grateful indeed. I certainly wasn't expecting it.

Also installed the uhf radio under the passenger seat. Unfortunately I got a faulty one. It all works perfectly but the light on the main screen flashes continuously. As a result he rang the manufacturers on my behalf. It requires it to be swapped, but we will do that after coral bay.
Also put the fishing rod holders on. Needed bigger bolts as the original ones couldn't get around our bullbar (it's a tad chunky)

Last edited:

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Great you got the fridge wiring sorted.I used to travel with the gas running the fridge cause the 12V was pretty hopeless. Got Toyota to wire up the fridge wire and after the last 9 hour drive noticed the fridge not cooling (short trips didn't matter).. Will have to rewire all of ours (car and van) with 3B&S.....Luckily our family likes aged meat, and no tummy upsets...Beer & wine in Waeco so all was OK really...

@Smirk Plenty of great spots for Kayaking and swimming if it's warm enough when you do the area.

If you have a few days in Cairns....I'd visit Lake Eacham crater lake for a Kayak (up the range and be warned about the kids getting car sick.... )Don't bother with camping at Tinaroo tis boring.......Ross and Locke is a great swimming stream (croc signs but plenty of people swimming). The locals we talked to said freshies are there but no salties. The salties are removed by DPI before they get that far up river. Behind the Mountain View Hotel on the same road (Gillies Hwy) is a great little swimming spot but not really long enough to Kayak.

Down Mackay way don't bother with Kinchant Dam....but have a look at Eugella Dam ($15 night for a family) ...Eugella gets really windy at night ((really windy)), but is a great Kayaking dam.....Long drops...treated water..fires..and one cold shower....Plenty of firewood around, and a flush toilet over the other side of the dam for those that don't mind a morning drive.

Elphinstone Lake is also worth a look for a Kayak....Flush toilets....Cold showers..fires..(and free)...

Lake Theresa (outside Clermont) is also a fantastic spot for the family...fire... and a kayak...

Reactions: Smirke

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Like to see the statute that says such, even the Australian Standards are not technically a legal requirement unless explicitly cited in an Act or Regulation as mandatory..... One of those things people think is the law but can't find in the law???

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Holy ?!$&!

I was under the very same impression.

No gas on at all while travelling. Very dangerous but have heard of others who've done it.

You're leaving yourself wide open to loads of problems in my humble opinion.

If 12v doesn't work, I'd get it sorted and never never never travel with gas on.

Don't want to be a Jonah but don't want to hear of you having problems either.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Even if you can't find it, doesn't mean it's not sensible.

You're moving with a naked light.

Gas is designed to be used in safe, controlled circumstances....not while on the move and subject to bounce, sudden changes etc.

Sorry but I reckon it's dangerous.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Which is the most likely to cause a consequence to my person.....

Driving a car with the van gas on or sleeping in a van with the gas on?

If the vans gas appliances are ventilated properly and a cut-out exists (if the pilot light goes out) there is no extra danger than when you are parked. While travelling the ventilation is increased, therefore the danger caused by gas build-up decreases.

The naked light is not really moving relative to the air in the enclosure apart from changes due to acceleration of the vehicle. That acceleration is less of an influence than a gust of wind in the vent.

A gust of wind in the ventilation for the fridge is uncontrolled...Do you turn it off on a windy day (while your sleeping in the van)???

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
It's more the chance of a crash Dean and a split pipe. Not good for rescue services as well as yourself. Not a good idea to run with gas on mate.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's why gas fitters are required to install cut off valves to gas pipes on moving vehicles.

And why we should use them.

I'm not after an argument, discussion etc but I'd seriously think of the implications.

Reactions: dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well, I'm definitely too chicken to travel with the gas on. Even triple check its off before driving off and everytime I walk past the van I check to make sure it's still off.
Will google those sites, but won't be taking the kayaks with us unfortunately. Would like to, but I can see that a certain person wouldnet be a happy camper helping get it on and off the car. Although I do have 4 other boys that could potentially help . (I know, who am I kidding)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And they'll grow taller so can lift more!

Have a great holiday and sit, smile and appreciate your new car and all the bits you've added in the last run around.

:eek-53:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
@dagree , would you believe this car has been and still is more trouble than the patrol. Where the patrol was mechanical, this one is more paper trouble. Still, Thursday we find out if we get paid or not. Some bright spark forgot to submit the patrol paperwork in Melbourne. (Not me) just hoping this is the only type of trouble we have with this car.

One design fault though, is the butt shaped bonnet. When it's wet, water comes flying up hitting the window. Very annoying indeed.that and the lack of storage space in the front dash.

Reactions: burnsie