smirke's cruiser

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
The beast got a pressie today..... Snorkel got fitted by ARB. They did a great job, and even better, I got to bring home a baby beast! Also need to attach the awning, which is lying on the floor inside

image.jpeg image.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks the part now.... And yes definitely needed it today :rain:
Every time I've been there they have only had the pink "Mini Beast's" in stock :(

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Looks good.

Just remember if you roll it up when wet, as we did when stuck in rain a couple of weeks ago, to get it out to dry ASAP.

Ours stayed rolled up wet cos the wet continued then I remembered. Now dry but there are horizontal mould marks on it. Another cleaning job!

And we found the gazebo walls fit the sides so that gives you a bit more covered area. Also, the light weight coast to coast side awning walls so that solves the multi use rule.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Looks good.

Just remember if you roll it up when wet, as we did when stuck in rain a couple of weeks ago, to get it out to dry ASAP.

Ours stayed rolled up wet cos the wet continued then I remembered. Now dry but there are horizontal mould marks on it. Another cleaning job!

And we found the gazebo walls fit the sides so that gives you a bit more covered area. Also, the light weight coast to coast side awning walls so that solves the multi use rule.
Bugger about the mould. Will only be using it along the Gibb this trip, so hopefully if it does get wet it will dry quick.
Thanks for the awning tip. Got 2 end mesh walls. Didn't even think about them fitting. BONUS!!!!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
They're not perfect but close enough to be useful. With end walls and some click together mats, you have a spare room. Good place for keeping stuff dry....we even strung a line under it in the rain to try to dry jackets and towels when stuck in rain for three days.

We've also had to replace one of those square pole connector thingies that you twist. Awning looked very wonky till we found a BCF to get a replacement do we now carry a spare.

Awnings are great for short stops and easy but the plastic top needs to be straight!

How long till you depart and try to catch up burnsie?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I hate to say it but ours is totally multi coloured as its not the first time it has been rolled up wet. The combination of black sooty residue and mould makes it zebra like but the mould is now removed. It's just the embedded black stuff that gives it character. We've got used to it so only worry about getting more mould.

This is the car awning, not the van awning...have used Karcher, vinegar, 30 second mould removal, scrubbing brush etc to no avail as the black stuff is totally embedded in the fabric. It still works so that's ok.

If it ever gets nicked we'll be able to identify it!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My Ute would like one of them, it's on the list along with side steps, FW hubs, roof top tinny.............oh the list is endless........
Hey @Dobbie if yours is a fabric/vinyl job try soaking it in dye of a dark colour.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
They're not perfect but close enough to be useful. With end walls and some click together mats, you have a spare room. Good place for keeping stuff dry....we even strung a line under it in the rain to try to dry jackets and towels when stuck in rain for three days.

We've also had to replace one of those square pole connector thingies that you twist. Awning looked very wonky till we found a BCF to get a replacement do we now carry a spare.

Awnings are great for short stops and easy but the plastic top needs to be straight!

How long till you depart and try to catch up burnsie?
Leave either Friday 1/7 or the 2nd. We aren't doing the slow trip up, as we've done that twice. Making a beeline to derby to get started on the Gibb.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
My Ute would like one of them, it's on the list along with side steps, FW hubs, roof top tinny.............oh the list is endless........
Hey @Dobbie if yours is a fabric/vinyl job try soaking it in dye of a dark colour.
We got one of those kings awnings from that 4wd superstore. Thought it would be ok for the trip (cheap and probably nasty), but we were very surprised. Exactly the same quality as one I checked out in another store for more than twice the price. Got some led lights in the package and a roof top bag. Bag is really thick and impressive.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We got one of those kings awnings from that 4wd superstore

Just had a swag and 3 man tent delivered from them. Pretty handy service and great value. Good to hear the awning is of good quality as I'll probably be looking for one little later in the year.

Reactions: bigcol