smirke's cruiser

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Looks great @Smirke, should be enough 12v sockets for the boys!!!! :)

Pioneer rack will be the one to go for it seems....

Also might see you at ORE if you are still there on Friday
Friday I am up the road (Norma Rd) getting andersons on the van and car and the uhf installed. Well, the car n van are there. I will be at home waiting to pick them up. I think Brad n the boys will be happy not to see me for a while, well until after coral bay. Still need the third battery installed, but the battery housing isn't available yet, apparently they will be ready for mid/end April.
And yes, 5 x 12v and 6 usb outlets should be enough, although hubby got grumpy as I didn't get dual usbs in the front for his electronics!!!!

What are you getting on the car??

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
What are you getting on the car??

Getting the long range fuel tank installed (150litres is not enough.....:D), going to drop it off in the morning and then go back later in the arvo to pick it up, hopefully with a massive total capacity of 223litres available for diesel. ;)

Should be the last major mod for the Prado b4 the lap.

you still thinking of putting a washing machine in?

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
What time are you guys and gals going to be there?..... Currently booked in for work in the area and might drive by and say Hi
I'm at home, which is 20 min walk away....3 or 4 min drive depending on lights and will be venturing out to drop car & van in, walk kids to school at 8.30 & pick up at 3.10. Happy to meet up here or somewhere on a bus route.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Getting the long range fuel tank installed (150litres is not enough.....:D), going to drop it off in the morning and then go back later in the arvo to pick it up, hopefully with a massive total capacity of 223litres available for diesel. ;)

Should be the last major mod for the Prado b4 the lap.

you still thinking of putting a washing machine in?
cool. Wanted a bigger tank for the cruiser, but that means both spares on the back. Oh well.
Yes, we are still thinking of the machine, but will need to get new doors on the cupboards down the back. Leaning toward a normal front loader like a guy on here did. I took photos of his work. Will need to be sorted at the start of term 2 as we go to coral bay next Friday!!!:cheer2:

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
yeah I am sure it is a bit of a rush to get everything sorted for the upcoming trip, looks the the main two items are sorted though one to get you there and the other in tow to sleep in :)

Do you know what the expected fuel usage is going to be like, assuming it will be similar to the Patrol or maybe a bit more with the turbo V8.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
yeah I am sure it is a bit of a rush to get everything sorted for the upcoming trip, looks the the main two items are sorted though one to get you there and the other in tow to sleep in :)

Do you know what the expected fuel usage is going to be like, assuming it will be similar to the Patrol or maybe a bit more with the turbo V8.
Not yet. Have done 498km and fuel is just under the half. Was really weird as it used a quarter in 200kms then sat there for approx 150km then moved again. I guess that's when the 2nd tank kicked in.
Not sure I like this one gauge thing with the fuel. I loved the fact the patrol had the button to use the 2nd tank and the 2nd gauge. I am a tad worried though, as we usually do fuel stops in gero and Carnarvon now I'm not sure if we can do the gero to Carnarvon in one hit. Shame it doesn't have a bigger tank, we had 170L in the patrol, although we did put the bigger main on it.

Don't be shocked by you fuel bill infill up.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
yeah we are hoping that we can pick and choose a bit more on route for the trip and maybe miss the more $$$ places, hoping to have a range of at least 1100-1200km when towing and over 2000km when travelling without it, but depends on how much we engage "low range" which will hopefully be lots :). yeah we have the same thing with the Prado one fuel gauge 87 main tank and 63 second so just over half on the gauge the main tank kicks in but hangs there for a while. with the new long range one we will be sitting on a full gauge for a lot longer and when it gets to just over half we know that the main tank is kicking in, will just take some time to get use to it.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
In the patrol we could only get a max of 1000km from the tank and the light came on, without towing. Towing we got the light on about 10km south of gero (approx 430km). Will be interesting to see what you do get, especially as your car has put on a bit of weight, but at least your van makes up for it.

Luckily we have the fuel card for our fuel, so as long as it's a BP I'm happy. Except for sandfire I think it was, where they don't accept the card. Had to pay for it then.:(

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Not yet. Have done 498km and fuel is just under the half. Was really weird as it used a quarter in 200kms then sat there for approx 150km then moved again. I guess that's when the 2nd tank kicked in.
Not sure I like this one gauge thing with the fuel. I loved the fact the patrol had the button to use the 2nd tank and the 2nd gauge. I am a tad worried though, as we usually do fuel stops in gero and Carnarvon now I'm not sure if we can do the gero to Carnarvon in one hit. Shame it doesn't have a bigger tank, we had 170L in the patrol, although we did put the bigger main on it.

Don't be shocked by you fuel bill infill up.

Hi Smirke, looks like it's coming together for you great.........we have found our fuel use has varied greatly depending on the head wind - first trip down south (Secret Harbour to Busselton) used half a tank one way to Mandalay, last trip with the standard simmo's and dunsborough bakery run used half a tank from the time I left home til the time I got back; I knew wind would play a factor in fuel economy but wouldn't of thought it would be that extreme. Its been awhile since I've been up that way but we use to grab fuel at billabong (small top up from dero) as they were always cheaper then overlander with better service and then for some unknown reason the roadhouse south of Carnarvon (mental blank but starts with a 'W') has always been cheaper then in town - even after the discount at Coles express.......still bought in town but.

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Which auto lucky do you use in Myaree @Smirke ?
Also that pic out the front of the school, might of been from my mates front yard!

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Which auto lucky do you use in Myaree @Smirke ?
Also that pic out the front of the school, might of been from my mates front yard!
Go to Jenkins on Norma Rd, as hubby knows the younger brother (he does the boats) and also knows the older one who does the cars and vans , so it seems. (The van bit)

Damon's parents (aka hubby) live at number 21. Have done for 45+ years, so if your mate lives there, he probably knows them, and hubby. It was the only place big and flattish enough for us to check levels.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi Smirke, looks like it's coming together for you great.........we have found our fuel use has varied greatly depending on the head wind - first trip down south (Secret Harbour to Busselton) used half a tank one way to Mandalay, last trip with the standard simmo's and dunsborough bakery run used half a tank from the time I left home til the time I got back; I knew wind would play a factor in fuel economy but wouldn't of thought it would be that extreme. Its been awhile since I've been up that way but we use to grab fuel at billabong (small top up from dero) as they were always cheaper then overlander with better service and then for some unknown reason the roadhouse south of Carnarvon (mental blank but starts with a 'W') has always been cheaper then in town - even after the discount at Coles express.......still bought in town but.
the less stops the better, as it costs as much in sausage rolls (son #2) and ice creams as it does for fuel!

Was that with or without van? Going to Margarets last year I used a quarter of a tank in total.

Reactions: dagree

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@achjimmy Probably only 20 mm lower than a standard Toyota Hitch after the vehicles lift. Looks bad but not as bad as using a WDH setup, with that you lose as least 80mm clearance.

My prob is the extra length of the tongue...after doing the chassis in the Ranger last year that sort of mod doesn't appeal to me.

I reckon a packer under the hitch on the van is a goer to get things up 50mm. There's a thread on here somewhere about it... Any more than that and ya up for changing the hitch style and getting a van mod so the hitch is on top of the draw bar (my direction when I can get around to it).

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Dean Anderson . We had to go that set up as we have no idea on how to do that packer. We were going the taller jockey wheel but then thought we'd have the van on an angle. We still have our tregg set up for the car from when we had our old swan and already had the adjustable one from the patrol, so thought....why not, may as well get another

Do you use a WDH?

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
the less stops the better, as it costs as much in sausage rolls (son #2) and ice creams as it does for fuel!

Was that with or without van? Going to Margarets last year I used a quarter of a tank in total.

Yep, people fuel soon adds up.........I'm a sucker for roadhouse foods and drinks (learnt the hard way to only buy "nippy's" to satisfy my flavoured milk cravings at remote places or go without - nothing worse than taking a big swig of a milk drink only to find it's a day away from being classified as yoghurt).

Both trips were with the van - bearing in mind I don't have half the accessories you do yet and only have three people (2adults 1child) in the landcruiser......once I've got everything I want, or if the wife's reading - need, I dare say a bigger fuel tank will be most beneficial but then I may well have to get the gvm upgrade done too for insurance purposes.

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@achjimmy Probably only 20 mm lower than a standard Toyota Hitch after the vehicles lift. Looks bad but not as bad as using a WDH setup, with that you lose as least 80mm clearance.

My prob is the extra length of the tongue...after doing the chassis in the Ranger last year that sort of mod doesn't appeal to me.

I reckon a packer under the hitch on the van is a goer to get things up 50mm. There's a thread on here somewhere about it... Any more than that and ya up for changing the hitch style and getting a van mod so the hitch is on top of the draw bar (my direction when I can get around to it).

Without talking ill of the ranger/ bt50 which I like. There got like toy chassis compared to the rear of a 200, plus the 200 then mounts to a monocoque bodyto strengthen it! And lastly the tow hitch reciever is welded into as a cross brace between chassis rails!

I would say a 3t van pushing directly on a drop hitch under braking (pending brake settings)would be applying more leverage in the hitch than the ball weight (250kg ) of same 3t van could apply bobing up and down on the hitch in vertical load !

I wouldn't worry either way with the cruiser.

Yep the hitch packers the best,

Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Without talking ill of the ranger/ bt50 which I like. There got like toy chassis compared to the rear of a 200, plus the 200 then mounts to a monocoque bodyto strengthen it! And lastly the tow hitch reciever is welded into as a cross brace between chassis rails!

I would say a 3t van pushing directly on a drop hitch under braking (pending brake settings)would be applying more leverage in the hitch than the ball weight (250kg ) of same 3t van could apply bobing up and down on the hitch in vertical load !

I wouldn't worry either way with the cruiser.

Yep the hitch packers the best,

The bit where you mention that it has strength has me feeling better. I was concerned with the amount of force pressing down on the ball and the result it would have on the mounting bit.

Do you get hitch packers made up, or can you buy them from a trailer place? (It's not something I though about before)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Do you get hitch packers made up, or can you buy them from a trailer place? (It's not something I though about before)
G'day @Smirke, in this thread post #13 there are a couple of pix of the packers fitted to my old 14-44-3 in 2011 which raised the hitch by 50 mm. It was fitted by my local dealer at Tweed Hds and cost about $80. I don't think they do it anymore although others have done it since. They were solid 25 mm steel and were quite heavy and I think others have done it with 50 mm RHS with packers inside for the bolts.

Reactions: Smirke

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@Smirke Got a Hayman Reese WDH in the shed, tried it on the Ranger but didn't make as much difference as with the Prado and haven't even tried it on the Cruizer, it hangs so low it's a pain when free camping (or getting over most gutters).

Not sure of the legality of hitch packers but I'm going to make mine up when I get back from holidays (presently about to go to the water park at the Coconut in Cairns, and then off for a kayak up the river, a bbq on the portable stove and a swim ain the rainforest (hopefully no crocs.).

I've got some 6mm wall 50mm SHS that I'll weld together, put some end plates in, drill it and get longer HT bolts. Plenty strong enough. In theory only has to be stronger than the neck of the towball. Unfortunately will probably have to mod the handbrake lever on the van aswell.

That should level the van after the suspension upgrade (next week), when these tyres wear out and I upgrade them I'll be another inch out and will have to probably change hitch type.

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke