Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Just saw an episode of 4WD TV on 4ME or whatever channel that it is where they were discussing the merits of intercooler, exhaust and chip upgrades on cars that had significant 4WD upgrades. And their two test cars? A Colorado and a Colorado 7. Very informative and detailed showing the incremental benefits each component offers, but the big gains seen when you put them together.

It was certainly food for thought to not necessarily overload something without allowing for performance drop offs/compensations.

Made sure I hit record... just for posterity sake of course...

Reactions: mfexpanda

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I just watched that one too, seen it before, but a good episode showing the whole process of chip, intercooler, exhaust and the final outcome. Very informative indeed.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Just saw an episode of 4WD TV on 4ME or whatever channel that it is where they were discussing the merits of intercooler, exhaust and chip upgrades on cars that had significant 4WD upgrades. And their two test cars? A Colorado and a Colorado 7. Very informative and detailed showing the incremental benefits each component offers, but the big gains seen when you put them together.

It was certainly food for thought to not necessarily overload something without allowing for performance drop offs/compensations.

Made sure I hit record... just for posterity sake of course...
O no I missed it @Smergen 8-)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep watched it also, was a fluke as was channel flicking. C7 had impressive figures in standard guise. Happy days. In the future will need to come over your place @Smergen to update Hercules. Pace.

Cool, more than welcome mate. The C7 does have good numbers indeed. What do you need to update in Hercules mate?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Fourth fuel fill is in. This trip included towing the van up to Mt Franklin with both water tanks full, as well as some other highway and general commuting.

68.15L for 633km @ 10.8L/100km.
(Overall: 270L for 2764km @ 9.8L/100km)

So it certainly was our largest fuel economy by ~1l/100km. I suspect having all the weight in the water tanks in the van had a large impact on our consumption. I was also somwhat generous with the right foot on occasion, putting it through it's paces. I will definitely be emptying them this evening as we prepare for our long weekend away and will check the difference. I might try and fill the car up as soon as we get back so a true towing figure can be established as well.

The Rock Truck is in for it's first service tomorrow, the 3000km check. Hopefully nothing comes up, and I certainly have nothing but good things to point out.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Nah @Dean81... I think I might get one done after a few more kilometres under the belt. At the moment, the rig sets up nicely, tows really well and does what we need it to. I do get the feeling it's capable of quite a bit more, but I'm a conservative kinda guy and it's still got the "new car smell"... :)

Reactions: cruza driver