Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK Gang,

As some of you are aware, I've gone and upgraded the tug from the faithful NM Pajero to a nice shiny new 2014 MY15 Holden LTZ Colorado. I figured I might use this thread to track the mods and builds I do to it, much like a few others have done.

Here's a link to the manufacturers guff:

http://www.holden.com.au/cars/colorado/4x4-range/crew-cab-pickup-ltz

In terms of what it comes with it came fairly "stock" but the bits we got added to it included:
  • Towbar (obviously)
  • Brake controller (Prodigy P2 - would have like the P3 or possibly redarc)
  • Premium Tint
  • Paint and external protection
First impressions after the first 800km or so are very positive. It's comfortable and remarkably quiet inside including when towing. It sits comfortably on the road, stable and solid. It tows like nothing I've driven before, with the 350km+ drive back from the 'bool easy and stress free. I thought it was a cliché, when people said "it was if the van wasn't there". But I must admit, when in conversation, I often did "forget it was there". But only between mirror checks... :)

We're really excited to have it in our "family" and having it safely convey us and our van on our adventures over the next few years.

Here's some pics from it's first trip from shop to first day on the job to back home.

IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1762.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1768.JPG
Gotta love The Minister for Domestic Affairs' parking aids in the garage. The truck doesn't fit in square, so we have to angle it!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well done @Smergen and family, I hope you have plenty of exciting adventures.

How did the stock suspension handle the Expanda?

Thanks mate. This is hopefully the rig that will take us on our Big Lap so we're pretty excited.

As for the stock suspension it's pretty good I reckon. I haven't measured but it looks as if it sits pretty level with the van on. Perhaps a tad low at the back. I'll definitely beef it up at some stage, but not until the funds recoup a little (i.e. When I sell the Paj), but its by no means a critical path things. I'm loathed to play around too much with it at first given that they are designed to do what I want it to do. And that's tow.

But as 'stock' I'm more than happy with it.

Probably need to run it in a bit more too, so we are planning some short trips up the highway and back to sort that out as well.

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
Very nice, I've had mine for about 12 months now and couldn't be happier. I personally believe they are very much underrated, as you said they tow very well, mine sits perfectly level with the van behind it, like you I'll wait until the stock suspension is buggered then upgrade because the stock is actually fine for now. I stepped up from a 105 cruiser and boy what a difference. I think you'll be very happy.

Reactions: skippy and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK.... so what's on the shopping/wish list? Feel free to jump in on all and sundry with advice and thoughts.

Shopping List
These are the items that will, at some stage, make it on to the truck:
  • Bullbar - top of the list to add protection more than anything, as well as mount points for lights, winches and radios.
  • Tub liner - didn't get one put in at the shop, but I'll get one in for sure. Sooner rather than later.
  • Canopy - Not sure if I want one right now, but it will be on for the Big Lap. Will be keeping an eye out for special deals and run out sales
  • Lights/Winches/Radio - Located on aforementioned bulbar. Winch bottom of that list, lights top (probably get included in bar installation I'd imagine), radio 2nd.
  • All Terrain Tyres - To be honest, I'm not in that much of a hurry to get these. I've got brand spanking tyres on the rig, which are quiet and comfortable, and if I upgrade sooner rather than later, what do I do with them? I'm not one to have two sets of rims and swap and change. But for the Big Lap, I imagine they'll be on.
  • Suspension Upgrade - Whether it comes with a lift or not, is another thing, but this will be at a later stage too once the existing set up is either done or not fit for the task.
  • Also will investigate the benefits of chips and exhaust upgrades if they don't muck around with warranties.
Did I miss anything?

Oh... and don't show Mrs Smergs this list... She thinks it's pretty good as it is!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Very nice, I've had mine for about 12 months now and couldn't be happier. I personally believe they are very much underrated, as you said they tow very well, mine sits perfectly level with the van behind it, like you I'll wait until the stock suspension is buggered then upgrade because the stock is actually fine for now. I stepped up from a 105 cruiser and boy what a difference. I think you'll be very happy.

Thanks for the positive review mate. All good signs at the moment.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
OK.... so what's on the shopping/wish list? Feel free to jump in on all and sundry with advice and thoughts.

Shopping List
These are the items that will, at some stage, make it on to the truck:
  • Bullbar - top of the list to add protection more than anything, as well as mount points for lights, winches and radios.
  • Tub liner - didn't get one put in at the shop, but I'll get one in for sure. Sooner rather than later.
  • Canopy - Not sure if I want one right now, but it will be on for the Big Lap. Will be keeping an eye out for special deals and run out sales
  • Lights/Winches/Radio - Located on aforementioned bulbar. Winch bottom of that list, lights top (probably get included in bar installation I'd imagine), radio 2nd.
  • All Terrain Tyres - To be honest, I'm not in that much of a hurry to get these. I've got brand spanking tyres on the rig, which are quiet and comfortable, and if I upgrade sooner rather than later, what do I do with them? I'm not one to have two sets of rims and swap and change. But for the Big Lap, I imagine they'll be on.
  • Suspension Upgrade - Whether it comes with a lift or not, is another thing, but this will be at a later stage too once the existing set up is either done or not fit for the task.
  • Also will investigate the benefits of chips and exhaust upgrades if they don't muck around with warranties.
Did I miss anything?

Oh... and don't show Mrs Smergs this list... She thinks it's pretty good as it is!

I got the holden tub liner and wouldn't buy it again .
I'd get the ARB one they seen a Much better fit .

Reactions: Drover and skippy

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I got the holden tub liner and wouldn't buy it again .
I'd get the ARB one they seen a Much better fit .

Not to mention it being around $200 cheaper based on my current info. Based on your experience mate, should I get it done lickety split or is it something that can wait a month or two (or six?)

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Not to mention it being around $200 cheaper based on my current info. Based on your experience mate, should I get it done lickety split or is it something that can wait a month or two (or six?)

I got the Holden one and I was really impressed with the fit and finish. I really looks like it is meant to be there. I got a well known brand one in my 50 and it is no where near as good as the Holden one. At the time I said i didn't really care which liner I got as its only a piece of plastic. The tail gate inside cover is a good fit and looks just as good as the liner. Maybe I got a good installer or maybe they improved them. Happy to take a photo for you smergen if you want.

Reactions: skippy

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Just to confuse you I would go a spray on liner as I have seen what happens under the tub liners when they get dust and grit under them, sure there is no dents but they rub the paint off, and they are slippery buggers. Are you thinking of drawers it the back for the big lap? if so with the liner the drawers will sit higher and make it more of a pain to fit imo.
No snorkel on the list? whats a 4x4 without a snorkel lol.

Reactions: Drover and Smergen

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Ok @Smergen get you list ready!....in fact hide you wallet because you about to put a hole in it.:behindsofa::rofl:

Tub Liner : I purchased the Holden one which is good and I am quite happy with it. Just the back tail gate part looks like the clips that hold it on are a bit dodgy. I also had a look around and they are all the same on the rear tail gate, if they come of I will just put some Sika flex on the panel and should be resolved. If you do end up getting a canopy make sure you get a tub liner that finishes under the panel railing because there are two different ones on the market, one for soft tarps that finish over the rear panel and the other sort that finish under the panel - otherwise the canopy won't seal correctly and you will have problems with dust down the track. The main reason I went with the tub liner is that when your away you can put whatever you want in the back sand/wood and when you get back just wash it out and no scratches to turn to rust hopefully.

Canapy: I have the Caddy Canopy because the glass sides open out and therefore you can access the rear tray easier and at the time they were $1000 cheaper than the Holden ones. The only thing I don't like about the Caddy ones is it that it doesn't have central locking as I know the Holden one does. I do prefer the style of the Caddy one as well. At the time the ARB were nearly $1700 more and they look more heavy duty and I couldn't justify the expense for what I would be using it for. There are different styles now and you can get the pop out windows with the sliding glass as well now in the same style. See link below>>
look at the GSE-L
http://utecanopies.com.au/colorado_2012_crewcab.html

Bull Bar : I would get a ARB bull bars or one of those after market ones that look similar. I wanted one of those but the extra length I would get front having one I couldn't get the car in the garage. I ended up with a nudge bar and put the spotties on that but what a pain because the spotties hit the front bumper. If you can avoid the nudge bar I would because I had to fabricate a fair bit to get the rally 4000 to fit. Also at least if you get the ARB bar you can fit the UHF arial on it, where I have mine mounted on the canopy. Plus with the Colorado being so long it helps having the UHF arial on the bull bar with judging distances in those pesky car bays.

Tyres: there are a lot of good 4x4 tyres on the market as I am sure you would know but I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T light trucks = L/T 275 65 17 have had them on the last Pajero and now the Colorado and so far so good. I have been over some realy rocky ground with the van in tow and to this date no punctures, so really happy so far and really quiet on the road which is a bonus for a heavy duty 4x4 tyre. From new I sold the tyres and rims because my friend had the same LT rims on his and the tyres which are fine for on road but not quite good enough for what we required off road for a good heavy duty tyre. I see you have the LTZ rims and if your going to go off road with the van I would suggest sell the tyres and get some Light Truck all-terrains if you can afford it if not just wait until you wear those ones out.

Suspenion: like @macca said the standard suspension is great but I just wanted some ground clearance hence I lifted 2 inches and I wanted to go more but then I had to change brake hoses and that got too hard.

Snorkel: as @17triton said what a 4x4 without out a snorkel. I also bought the Holden one because I liked the look and it was cheaper than most on the market. If you attempt to install its your self make sure you get that hole that goes on the panel in the right spot :bounce: I had a problem where the template was not correct and the trusty die grinder came out for a few touch ups....:censored: I was sweating, I tell ya. :biggrin: The main reason that I purchased this is not for water crossings but for cleaner air when traveling in convoys off road.

Chip: I am getting chip installed in the next couple of weeks and hopefully I will get better fuel economy. Also a catch can and hopefully get the EGR valve turned right down though the chip. Don't forget to add a catch can as well. I am also getting a trans cooler in the next couple of weeks too just to be on the safe side. If you need more info on the chip just PM me and I will give you the info.

Good luck and let the mods begin :pop2:

Skip

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Are you thinking of drawers it the back for the big lap? if so with the liner the drawers will sit higher and make it more of a pain to fit imo.

I would be thinking that draws are definitely required for the Big Lap, which is why a drop in tub liner (which could be removed when draws are installed) is currently the way of thinking. Although I started looking at the "spray liners" and they look like a nice bit of kit too!

Lots of fun decisions to be had.

Reactions: 17triton and jacbaz

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@skippy is spot on, especially with getting the EGR shut off they are the biggest killers of Common Rails and a catch can is a must as early as possible, now it's not panic stations, EGR lets sooty exhaust into the engine at times which mixes with the compressed oily air from the turbo, makes a big gooey mess at the intake manifold, all CRD's have this problem to various degrees, the EGR can be shut off by usually a chip or other device and the catch can just collects most of the oil from the air that vents from the sump/rocker cover and stops it going into the engine.

Reactions: skippy