Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have read you could do it on the 1st generation RG's but not on the latest. Happy to be told otherwise as it would be handy. Or do you mean use a scangauge.

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
First gen RG you could read trans temp in menu list but later versions you can't, but they have other menu's that aren't on the first gen. @skippy my temps seem to run around the 80 to 90 mark towing on 35 - 45 degree days when moving but have noticed when I get stuck in traffic they creep up pretty quickly, have hit 120. Definitely looking to put a tranny cooler on soon.

Reactions: skippy

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep, a little reading and checking, and they've taken the ability to read that important bit of information off us and given us some other guff...

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
First gen RG you could read trans temp in menu list but later versions you can't, but they have other menu's that aren't on the first gen. @skippy my temps seem to run around the 80 to 90 mark towing on 35 - 45 degree days when moving but have noticed when I get stuck in traffic they creep up pretty quickly, have hit 120. Definitely looking to put a tranny cooler on soon.
Yep....that's right you only get that trans temps on the series one. But as @macca said though a wifi device to your IPad/IPhone you can pick up most of the signals back to the ECU including the trans temperatures.

Yep, a little reading and checking, and they've taken the ability to read that important bit of information off us and given us some other guff...
Yes Smergen unfortunately you can't get the trans temp via the dash you need to by one of these below>>
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V1-5-ELM...12?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19f873b15c

And some more reading if you interest on a OBD2 scanner
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=151786

Reactions: Smergen

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I also hit 120 degrease but it was 49 outside in the shade on the way back from Coral bay to Carnarvon. Most of the time I get the 90 to 100 on the trans temps but it's still a bit on the high side. According to Holden no one has ever complained about high trans temps on the RG's and
I have been waiting for a trans kit to be released from Holden but I got confermation that there not making one for the RG's yet. I have been looking at an after market one as well but for now I am just changing my transmission oil every 30 thousand just to be sure that the oil is not burnt. The last service that was done the oil look surprisingly good considering the 120 degrease temperture that it endured.

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I think the dash has a spot that a gauge pod would fit in nicely. the spot above the radio where the flip top lid is. In my youth I had an EH, that's what made me think about it.

Reactions: skippy

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I wonder if its something they can add back on request. I know with Commodores they can do stuff like that when they plug it into their computer.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK Mod time!!!

First serious mod to The Rock Truck, a nice shiny new spray on tub liner. I got it done through Aaron at Speedliner Ballarat and a fantastic job he did. Rather than getting a drop-in liner I decided the extra bit of coin would give me a better long term solution to protecting the tub.

And I must admit I'm very impressed. The finish quality and attention to detail by Aaron was first class. The cut in, the removing of the protection rails to ensure the liner went to the top of the tub so that when the canopy goes on down the track, it will finish in the right spot. All the tie down points removed and then reattached over the top of the new liner with a perfect seal.

Time will tell how it lasts, but it does have a lifetime warranty, so I'm expecting it to last.... :)

But... what about the pics? Forgive the crappy ones in the light/shade of the garage, it was all I could muster this evening between shifts with the kids... :)

Before:
01.JPG

After:
02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Thanks @skippy... will look into those a bit more. I do love a gadget that can feed me back some stats!
I with you too... I love a gadget or two but the main thing is to know what's going on under the hood because you never know if a simple pull over after looking at one of your gauges that might save you thousands because one of them might be reading to high.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I think the dash has a spot that a gauge pod would fit in nicely. the spot above the radio where the flip top lid is. In my youth I had an EH, that's what made me think about it.
That's true @macca that would be a great spot for a few gauges.
I have the IPad on the dash were the flip top lid is, streaming all the relevant info and its seems to sit up there quite nicely with all the gauges I ever needed.

Last edited:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
OK Mod time!!!

First serious mod to The Rock Truck, a nice shiny new spray on tub liner. I got it done through Aaron at Speedliner Ballarat and a fantastic job he did. Rather than getting a drop-in liner I decided the extra bit of coin would give me a better long term solution to protecting the tub.

And I must admit I'm very impressed. The finish quality and attention to detail by Aaron was first class. The cut in, the removing of the protection rails to ensure the liner went to the top of the tub so that when the canopy goes on down the track, it will finish in the right spot. All the tie down points removed and then reattached over the top of the new liner with a perfect seal.

Time will tell how it lasts, but it does have a lifetime warranty, so I'm expecting it to last.... :)

But... what about the pics? Forgive the crappy ones in the light/shade of the garage, it was all I could muster this evening between shifts with the kids... :)

Before:
View attachment 30264

After:
View attachment 30265 View attachment 30266 View attachment 30267 View attachment 30268

Looks good ...all you need now is the canapy.