Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's not good at all, glad it is fixed.
Once you hook up you should always check your trailer brakes, my unit shows a self test OK on the screen but as when in the semi I operate the trailer brakes to physically check all is good. This should carried out after every stop, while it may have been working when you pulled up, there are some sick people out there that pull cables to be funny, I would shoot them myself.

While some swear by chips, in the big engines, Yes but in small donks I think they can be too much especially if you are going to run it for a lot of Km, and a lot of money when most swap their vehicles every 4 yes. Upgrade exhaust, air intake flow, disable EGR which will kill engine anyway, better rubber then if you need more grunt you really didn't buy the right vehicle. If I did use a chip it would only be a Steinbauer, they have anexcellant set up which shouldn't blow your engine. Don't use any DIY chip.

Last edited:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
That's not good at all, glad it is fixed.
Once you hook up you should always check your trailer brakes, my unit shows a self test OK on the screen but as when in the semi I operate the trailer brakes to physically check all is good. This should carried out after every stop, while it may have been working when you pulled up, there are some sick people out there that pull cables to be funny, I would shoot them myself

This is something I always try to remember to do but never do.

I have heard the same stories about people either unplugging the cable or put the handbrake on for s#!ts and giggles. Personally I am with you @Drover but I would get them to stand in front of the car/van about 150m away to do an emergency brake test at speed! Only problem is I wouldn't want to clean up afterwards!

BJ.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This is something I always try to remember to do but never do.
BJ.

I don't think your alone on that either !!!!!! I always drilled into new fellas the importance of checking hitch, brakes, cables on trucks and it's just as important on vans, I have seen trailers come away as well as vans because of DH's in the bushes
It is also a MUST when you move off initially in the van not just to make sure they work but that they are dialled up correctly, too high or too low can most certainly KILL you.
Hate to harp but I've seen things on our roads that many are lucky not to, and as an old truckie many are still alive because I did my checks, maybe some on here but they will never know.

Truck does look smicko, @Smergen, better go scrub all the locust's off mine I suppose.

Reactions: Delano and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks for the input guys. I knew it was a wrong when the indicator started flicking the signal over! I did manual tests and the manual brakes stopped both van and car so I knew signal was getting through.

In the end, it was a learning experience and we are better off for knowing a bit more. Will be asking for a courtesy pad change at 15000km service while it's there...

At any rate it was a beast on the way over here. No sure the fuel figures will be great (might please @Drover) with some hills and wind but it's such a comfortable drive with the van behind it.

Reactions: Drover

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Another sneak peek...

image.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Did u drive kingston from cape jaffa on the beach ??? Hope so

Nah mate. Did that day trip, but stayed off the sand. This is on Long Beach.

Is that a spot of rust I can see?;)

Ha ha... Not likely... Was straight down to car wash for a high pressure wash. And it'll get the full kit and kaboodle on Sunday. Want to come give me a hand?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Is that the price of them?? If so, I ain't spending that much on it. I'll get my mates at Tekno to sort something out for me... :)

I just fitted a DPChip to the cruiser. Was $1500 but they are set to stay within the safe limits of the engine, and wow what a difference when towing.

I'm no longer in the market for a new tug !

More grunt and still around the same fuel consumption.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Where you tempted to test the snorkle for that water crossing o_O

Maybe if we got the big 45" rubber on and could float.... I was nervous enough just running around on the road tyres.... Kept well away from the really soft stuff... Still, inspired me to do some more at a later stage.

I just fitted a DPChip to the cruiser. Was $1500 but they are set to stay within the safe limits of the engine, and wow what a difference when towing.

More grunt and still around the same fuel consumption.

Did you fit it yourself or get some pro's to do it? I must admit, just home from Robe after 700km and I'm still staggered with the power of the modern vehicle. Just sat effortlessly on 100km/h (and more if I wasn't careful) and easily over took cars and trucks when required. I'm still confident I'll "chip up" once the car is fully loaded, but I'll continue to do research until at least the canopy and tyres/wheels are on. Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: 17triton

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Maybe if we got the big 45" rubber on and could float.... I was nervous enough just running around on the road tyres.... Kept well away from the really soft stuff... Still, inspired me to do some more at a later stage.

Did you fit it yourself or get some pro's to do it? I must admit, just home from Robe after 700km and I'm still staggered with the power of the modern vehicle. Just sat effortlessly on 100km/h (and more if I wasn't careful) and easily over took cars and trucks when required. I'm still confident I'll "chip up" once the car is fully loaded, but I'll continue to do research until at least the canopy and tyres/wheels are on. Appreciate the feedback.

Yep fitted it myself, truly plug and play, took about 15 minutes to fit.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha regarding tyres !!!! I have seen fellas with bog standard highway truck tyres put the Bush King Tyre owners to shame, it's all a matter of pressure and the nut behind the wheel, big rip em up tyres can get you into more trouble if your a dingbat and kill you on the highway, it's all about how you drive.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I hear that @Drover, but I didn't want to be the "dingbat" in the dunes digging his way out. I did have the compressor and could play with tyre pressures but I would worry about the strength of the highway tyres wall strength. Like most things 4WD and caravan like, I'd rather "baby step" my way through the process, learning as I go.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Nah mate. Did that day trip, but stayed off the sand. This is on Long Beach.

Ha ha... Not likely... Was straight down to car wash for a high pressure wash. And it'll get the full kit and kaboodle on Sunday. Want to come give me a hand?
that's a shame when we drove it in the troopy there where 2 wheel drives all along the stretch and when we drove this trip the same the beaches are easy to drive there much harder sand than here I think , never deflated my tyres they use them that much over there but was warned some soft sections on the way to Murray mouth my pics yet to come