Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Smergen I know where your coming from, but your tyres would be good no great difference in the walls in most tyres, 1 mm of ply doesn't bother a good stake puncture.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
A little update from the brake controller "saga"....

The dealership has provided full refund of the initial outlay, whilst also agreeing to fully inspect brake system, provide wheel alignment at next service all free of charge (including the service). They were very apologetic and understood the gravity of the error. So fingers crossed the next service goes well.

I'm happy with their attention to remedy the solution once they knew about it. We all make mistakes and I hope this improves their QA processes for others to benefit from.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Yep @Smergen I know where your coming from, but your tyres would be good no great difference in the walls in most tyres, 1 mm of ply doesn't bother a good stake puncture.
I know my OE tyres sidewalls were like tissue paper compared to the Coopers I fitted.
A little update from the brake controller "saga"....

The dealership has provided full refund of the initial outlay, whilst also agreeing to fully inspect brake system, provide wheel alignment at next service all free of charge (including the service). They were very apologetic and understood the gravity of the error. So fingers crossed the next service goes well.

I'm happy with their attention to remedy the solution once they knew about it. We all make mistakes and I hope this improves their QA processes for others to benefit from.
Great result @Smergen and luckily you found a problem early. As you said hopefully it improves their QA process.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... next thing on the shopping list... radio. No idea what's required so I'm going to throw a few questions out there which I'm asking at the moment in case anyone might have some advice... maybe I need another thread...
  1. Handheld vs. in car
  2. Antenna?
  3. Brands?
  4. DIY install?
  5. Install locations on the Colorado...

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My take on it @Smergen ... Others may help with a couple of them...

1. Both..... Give the hand held to the Smerglins so you can keep in touch when they go wandering!
2. Depends on the terrain etc.... Some useful answers here http://lakecomm.com.au/uhfant&acc.html
3. Uniden, GMW, Icom (More expensive but good quality) and Oricom (Cheaper quality but have heard some good reports)
4. DIY... YES!!!!!! Cheaper and you know where things are if fault finding! But the beers consumed may not make it as cheap :D
5. Will let someone with a colorado answer 8-)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Like @dagree,
1. Both hand helds (pair) and an in car. Give hand held to Mrs Smergen when backing, helps to hear her instructions and can make reversing onto sites a bit easier.
2. Terrain and distance will govern what is necessary but get good advice.
3. I use an Icom because the unit sits under the seat and everything is controlled from the handset including mic and speaker.
4. Definitely DIY it is fairly straight forward.
5. Does not matter what the car when you can separate the units.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Forgot to add the separate unit for #5 as @chartrock said! We have the uniden 7760 model with all controls and speaker in the microphone

Img_0148.jpg
As I said... DIY is a piece of cake.... Just takes a few beers and it's all done ;)

UHF_001.jpg

All you need to mount within sight with the separate units.

Reactions: Bluey

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
That was a job for a long weekend @chartrock ... Now lets see how good this old memory is like :o
1. Fit the UHF unit behind the glove box.
2. Replace the std stereo with a combo stereo/gps/camera screen with ipod/AV cables etc finishing in a little compartment in the glove box.
3. Installing the reverse camera cables.
4. Running cables from switches to relays to operate spotties/rear work light/driving lights etc
5. Power to the rear end of the prado for a dedicated fridge socket and anderson plug.
6. My brain is hurting from trying to remember what else I did two years ago :bowl:
7. OH and fitted a triple cigarette style adaptor for charging SWMBO'd phone/tablet etc!

Reactions: chartrock

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I know @Kenshi123 and @cruza driver have unidens and I think are more than happy with them. I have a old 40ch Uniden as well that I can't fault except it's missing 40 channels lol. I think Uniden or GME.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
All the above.......I have an Oricon with a small metal whip aerial mainly for cost but over the years with UHF the range is not great compared with 27mhz And have these aerials to be effective.
Fitted a split unit GME to son in laws BT50 a week ago and they are the way to go, just so easy. Main unit under seat, no bolts just a big blob of Sikaflex and the head was put in the lower cavity in front of gear shift, held in place with double sided tape, no weight really and has worked well before, just drilled a hole in the back to run cable thru, steel whip mounted on guard mount, was going to mount a speaker but atm he says the one in the unit under seat is okay.
Having a couple of cheapy handhelds is always handy.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks for the feedback gang, really appreciate it. Going to do a little bit more reading about it before I decide which way to head. I'm not really interested in polluting the inside of the cabin with wires and cables if I can avoid it for something that will only be required a low % of the time.

I'm not overly inspired by @dagree's install photos I can assure you! :)

I think at minimum I'm going to get a couple of hand helds (already have a set of cheapies that work OK, one is temperamental) for the Caravan Parks and kids. Was just wondering if it's worth getting a decent set of hand helds which should see me through...

Reactions: dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
That was a job for a long weekend @chartrock ... Now lets see how good this old memory is like :o
1. Fit the UHF unit behind the glove box.
2. Replace the std stereo with a combo stereo/gps/camera screen with ipod/AV cables etc finishing in a little compartment in the glove box.
3. Installing the reverse camera cables.
4. Running cables from switches to relays to operate spotties/rear work light/driving lights etc
5. Power to the rear end of the prado for a dedicated fridge socket and anderson plug.
6. My brain is hurting from trying to remember what else I did two years ago :bowl:
7. OH and fitted a triple cigarette style adaptor for charging SWMBO'd phone/tablet etc!
I think Mrs CR would have my guts for garters if she saw me do something like that to the new BT50 but I am in the throws of fitting reverse cameras and forward facing camera plus extra 12V adapters but the wiring just runs up behind the dash. Also have to wire in a second battery in the tub. The list goes on.

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
I run a couple of GME 3400 split units and have found them to be really good.. Simple install in the Colorado as shown in the pic as there is already a small cable opening in the head liner from factory and the remote unit can mount anywhere.. I've got mine high on the drivers side kick panel. Less than an hour to install and didn't have any left over screws at the end which is a bonus.
IMG_0143.jpg