Relgate got a new BT50 GT

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Looking good @relgate I've been waiting for that pic to appear View attachment 16123
How are you finding the BT so far? Have you towed the Expanda yet?
I'm loving the BT. I havn't towed the van yet. It's been in for warranty work the whole time! Gives me a bit of a chance to run the BT in however.
Still, cant wait to get the van behind it on the open road and see what it can do!!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
A few more pics in the daylight...

Bar, winch and lift
20130806_105657 (800x600).jpg

Winch with control box on top
20130806_105715 (800x600).jpg

Underbody protection
20130806_105732 (800x600).jpg

UHF handpiece mount (can be tucked away into the arm rest)
20130806_105831 (800x600).jpg

UHF main box/speaker. That is the brake pedal you can see. The box is mounted behind the AC vent
20130806_105908 (800x600).jpg

Suspension upgrade
20130806_105945 (800x600).jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Nice positioning of the UHF hand piece. Very neat.
Thanks Brad. I am really happy with it. I should have tucked the cord in for the pic. Normally it is tucked away between the seat and the handrest and doesn't ever get in the way (one of my initial concerns)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looking great relgate! I want those bash plates, my factory ones are a bit dented already. Your bar and winch combo look tough too. We need to hit the tracks now:car:

How have you found the suspension? Is that a medium or heavy duty leaf pack?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Looking great relgate! I want those bash plates, my factory ones are a bit dented already. Your bar and winch combo look tough too. We need to hit the tracks now:car:

How have you found the suspension? Is that a medium or heavy duty leaf pack?

This is my first suspension upgrade, so I'm not qualified to give it much of a review.
However, my thoughts are:
1. The ride is very nice, perhaps the same if not more comfortable than the factory over a tar road. (havent been off yet)
2. It is noticeably better at getting over a speed bump. You can go a lot faster and feel hardly anything compared to the factory suspension. Obviously this will apply to off road situations
3. BT's and Rangers can suffer from low speed shudder when modified. I cannot complain, but there is a hint of shudder around the 15km/hr mark. It is very hard to replicate and is hardly discernible, but it is there none the less. It does not bother me but once it settles, I will see if changing the spacers at the 500km check will rectify it. I understand it is solvable.
4. Lift is around 70mm at this stage.
5. I opted for the medium set up (300kg). I have the option to add another leaf if I feel I need it, to take it to 400kg constant.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Sounds great. Mine was about 70mm in the rear but now closer to 45mm. The shudder will probably disappear as the suspension settles down a little. Otherwise adjusting the spacer will normally work.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
OK. Big decision. I'm looking at getting some better tyres on the UBute50 and getting the old ones off while they are still sellable.

Choosing has proven to be very difficult
Here are my options:

Cooper ST MAXX-
Good -Great looking and no doubt as good as they say
Bad -Expensive and possibly more aggressive than I need -around $4-415 per tyre

BFG AT-
Good - Look cool and seem to be all-round a good tyre. Possibly less aggressive than ST MAXX
Bad - Not available for about a month and pricew is still up there around $350

Yokohama geolander GO12
Good - Good reviews, seem to be a good all rounder, price pretty good around $300
BAD -not a light truck construction

Bridgestone 697
Good -seem to be really good on sand/rocks. Very tough. Can replace anywhere in Australia and seem very tough. Price excellent at $250 Low noise and better around town
Bad - the least aggressive tread of all. Reviews are good for dry conditions. Some good comments about mud, but surely not as good as the others in the sticky stuff

HELP PLEASE...

My driving is probably 90% around town, but obviously when off road a good tread is needed. I'm not sure how much actual mud I will find. I may end up doing more sand driving?!
Also planning to do some longer trip to the centre and north, so need something for those conditions.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the bridgestone and perhaps get a set of muddies later on steel wheels to change over as required.

Any ideas?
It's always fun deciding and researching, but I need to get on with it and make a decision!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Tough call mate imo once you do an intial cost outlay on 2 tyre set ups you might as well get an agressive a/t

Tyre choice will sure open a whole can of worms for you ;) and choose what you think will best suit your needs,it looks like a good options list to me mate. Good luck and remember shop around to

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Tough call mate imo once you do an intial cost outlay on 2 tyre set ups you might as well get an agressive a/t

Tyre choice will sure open a whole can of worms for you ;) and choose what you think will best suit your needs,it looks like a good options list to me mate. Good luck and remember shop around to

Thanks CD

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I currently have the Bridgies on my Hilux and love them. I am like in in that 90-95% of my drive is around town. They are gat in the wet, very quiet and are wearing brilliantly. Am very happy with them on the gravel, but will be honest, I haven't had the call for any mud work. Had the Bf's on my old Cruiser, and they were good, but not as comfortable on road and seemed "hard" for the use I gave them.

Good luck with the choice.

BJ

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I currently have the Bridgies on my Hilux and love them. I am like in in that 90-95% of my drive is around town. They are gat in the wet, very quiet and are wearing brilliantly. Am very happy with them on the gravel, but will be honest, I haven't had the call for any mud work. Had the Bf's on my old Cruiser, and they were good, but not as comfortable on road and seemed "hard" for the use I gave them.

BJ

Thanks for the input @Bmhdg76

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.

BJ
I really need to proof read for stupid auto correct changes!
"Like in in" should have read as "I am like you in that"... And "gat" is Great!

BJ

Reactions: relgate

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Tough call @relgate

All good options, i have the cooper AT3, over 40,000km and they still look new. May be worth considering. I think they would be around the BFG to ST Maxx pricing. For me 95% of my driving is highway, but these still go great offroad.

When these do wear out i will try the St Maxx i think, something a bit more aggressive.

Just to throw another option into the mix mate;)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Tough call @relgate

All good options, i have the cooper AT3, over 40,000km and they still look new. May be worth considering. I think they would be around the BFG to ST Maxx pricing. For me 95% of my driving is highway, but these still go great offroad.

When these do wear out i will try the St Maxx i think, something a bit more aggressive.

Just to throw another option into the mix mate;)

Ah yes, forgot to put those on the list. Thanks @Moto Moto
You might have pushed me over the edge...

Reactions: Moto Moto