Relgate got a new BT50 GT

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ok, I will have to dig out the invoice tomorrow in the office and PM you the costing.
I am an electrician and wanted to be able to carry extension ladders and the like..... So I went the heavy duty bars and rails. The standard bars that came on the canopy weren't suited to me, and once the rails are fitted across the standard bars, they really aren't practical for carrying much.... Except a body board.
I now have 2 heavy duty bars and rails on the canopy and another 2 on the cabin of the amarok.
The total of 4 rails across the cabin and canopy is perfect for me and spreads the load really well.
Initially, I had the square Tradesman rail fitted across the roof..... But the wind noise was really bad, (because the Amarok is so nice and quiet!) so I swapped them to the oval rails and the change in noise was incredible - so much better/quieter, but not quite as good for options to fit to the rails.
Sorry to dribble on.... Love my canopy and truck! (Oh, and the Expanda!)

He He, glad you love it!
I'm a landscaper and will need to carry timber etc on the roof so I appreciate the info on the rails. Do you know what kind of weight rating you have now?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
The rear recovery points could come in handy if requiered but I never got them..........sometimes I wish I should have but I can retro fit them. If snatching off them like the recovery points on the front its best to run a lanyard to both recovery points to spread the load. I have a tow bar recovery block that fits into the hitch receiver also.

And on another note I would get the factory rubber floor mats as they are a very neat fit and the drivers one has locking points so it can't move around. Also have you considered a snorkle relgate?

Good info thanks CD

I guess I'll see how much the recovery points cost.

Snorkel.... I am considering it but to be honest I don't know if I really need one. How deep or how often do you need to do water crossings to need one? I would probably get one anyway but I have read that there is a lot of engine noise coming out of it that is very noticable to the driver. Have you noticed this? Any idea of cost for a factory snorkel?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
There is a bit of noise through the snorkle but it doesn't worry me I actually dont mind it. As for price i got it as part of my list of extras I prepared for the dealer so I'm not sure on price.

Snorkles aren't only for water crossings but they keep your airfilter cleaner longer in dusty conditions, but its all down to personal preference.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ok, so I'm about to pull the trigger on the BT50, so here are my thoughts:
1.The Snorkel adds $680 to the cost, and I'm going to get it. Just not sure if I can put up with the ribbiing from my mates (not many water crossings in Sydney)
2. The 2 recovery points add $480 to the cost. I'm on the fence with this one. I'm leaning towards leaving them off coz I already have a hitch thingame with a D shackle to go on the tow bar. Any thoughts on this?
3. Looked at adding the steel black steps. They will cost $815. At this stage I'm leaving them off the list. The GT comes with alloy steps, so I'm planning to hang on to them and then change them over to TJM steps if needed later.
4. Other options to be factory fitted are:
Driver side lge weather shield
Tow pack
Tint
Rubber mats
Tub liner
Bonnet and headlight protectors
5. My biggest dilemma is the reverse camera. I count it as essential. The Mazda factory camera is no doubt very neat and from what I read has a nice integrated screen in the rear view mirror which also maintains the auto dimming. However, the cost is $1150!!! Also, I assume (but not confirmed) that it only has 1 video input so no ability to add a second caravan camera.
The other option is to go with an ebay number for $175 (no auto dimming, but ability for 2 cameras) and have it installed. I put the screen and camera into the Hilux myself but to be honest I'm not so keen o a brand new car, but even if I pay for a sparky it should still only cast a couple of hundred $$$ to get done. Anyone have thoughts on this?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
1.The Snorkel adds $680 to the cost, and I'm going to get it. Just not sure if I can put up with the ribbiing from my mates (not many water crossings in Sydney) Do it as it also piece of mind and keeps the air filter cleaner neat fit and clean lines too and it doesn't look like an after thought .Your mate will be stuck on the otherside of the river and you'll be right :D
2. The 2 recovery points add $480 to the cost. I'm on the fence with this one. I'm leaning towards leaving them off coz I already have a hitch thingame with a D shackle to go on the tow bar. Any thoughts on this? I didn't get them the sales guy hadn't heard of them o_O it personal choice. They do seem exy but could come in handy. I haven't decided what to do yet but have the block too.
3. Looked at adding the steel black steps. They will cost $815. At this stage I'm leaving them off the list. The GT comes with alloy steps, so I'm planning to hang on to them and then change them over to TJM steps if needed later. I did the same and down the track will look at rails and steps plus the alloy although big do protect the sides of the car from chips etc.
Driver side lge weather shield Just a thought have you seen the 4 pack of slim line deflectors on Ebay about $100 delivered. not as effective as a big one though.
Tow pack
Tint
Rubber mats A must imo and a neat fit and the drivers one is secured to the floor and easily removed for cleaning. The only down side is the rear one doesn't go over the tunnel (like the Pajero) but I don't mind to much
Tub liner
Bonnet and headlight protectors Are you getting the smokey deflector?
5. My biggest dilemma is the reverse camera. I count it as essential. The Mazda factory camera is no doubt very neat and from what I read has a nice integrated screen in the rear view mirror which also maintains the auto dimming. However, the cost is $1150!!! Also, I assume (but not confirmed) that it only has 1 video input so no ability to add a second caravan camera. I have heard mixed reviews about the factory camera I'm going for an aftermarket on mine just need to do it though :D $1150 is up there in regards to price but I guess you get Mazdas warranty.
The other option is to go with an ebay number for $175 (no auto dimming, but ability for 2 cameras) and have it installed. I put the screen and camera into the Hilux myself but to be honest I'm not so keen o a brand new car, but even if I pay for a sparky it should still only cast a couple of hundred $$$ to get done. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I like the one Millsy used in his BT but might go the one with a monitor to make fitting easier but that's just me :lol:

Let us know how you go mate, exciting times.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks cruza driver
1.The Snorkel adds $680 to the cost, and I'm going to get it. Just not sure if I can put up with the ribbiing from my mates (not many water crossings in Sydney) Do it as it also piece of mind and keeps the air filter cleaner neat fit and clean lines too and it doesn't look like an after thought .Your mate will be stuck on the otherside of the river and you'll be right :D
I like your line of thought!

2. The 2 recovery points add $480 to the cost. I'm on the fence with this one. I'm leaning towards leaving them off coz I already have a hitch thingame with a D shackle to go on the tow bar. Any thoughts on this? I didn't get them the sales guy hadn't heard of them o_O it personal choice. They do seem exy but could come in handy. I haven't decided what to do yet but have the block too.
Yep, I'm gonna leave them out
3. Looked at adding the steel black steps. They will cost $815. At this stage I'm leaving them off the list. The GT comes with alloy steps, so I'm planning to hang on to them and then change them over to TJM steps if needed later. I did the same and down the track will look at rails and steps plus the alloy although big do protect the sides of the car from chips etc.
Agree
Driver side lge weather shield Just a thought have you seen the 4 pack of slim line deflectors on Ebay about $100 delivered. not as effective as a big one though.
Thanks for the tip. I had a look but really just need the lge one for driverside when going through McDonalds in the rain...
Tow pack
Tint
Rubber mats A must imo and a neat fit and the drivers one is secured to the floor and easily removed for cleaning. The only down side is the rear one doesn't go over the tunnel (like the Pajero) but I don't mind to much
Tub liner
Bonnet and headlight protectors Are you getting the smokey deflector?
I didnt ask for the smoky one. It is a white Ute so I'm happy with a clear one.

5. My biggest dilemma is the reverse camera. I count it as essential. The Mazda factory camera is no doubt very neat and from what I read has a nice integrated screen in the rear view mirror which also maintains the auto dimming. However, the cost is $1150!!! Also, I assume (but not confirmed) that it only has 1 video input so no ability to add a second caravan camera. I have heard mixed reviews about the factory camera I'm going for an aftermarket on mine just need to do it though :D $1150 is up there in regards to price but I guess you get Mazdas warranty.
I like the one Millsy used in his BT but might go the one with a monitor to make fitting easier but that's just me :lol:
Right now I'm leaving it out. Just need to make sure I can get what I want after-market.

Let us know how you go mate, exciting times.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Latest update:
I've settled on a vehicle
2013 White BT50 GT Auto 4x4
tow pack
lge driver weather shield
tint (not to back window as I'm getting a canopy)
rubber mats
tub liner
clear bonnet and headlight protectors
snorkel

They are quoting delivery by the end of the month, so fingers crossed I will be in it in no time. Then I need to sell the Hilux.

Extras planned post delivery roughly in order of priority are:
Immediate:
brake controller (p3)
Rear camera set up and provision for van camera
Canopy and racks-leaning towards Flexglass sports.
Soon:
TJM front bar
winch
underbody protection
UHF
suspension kit

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Update:
The BT50 should be arriving at the dealer today or early next week, then they just need to add the accessories (tow bar, snorkel etc) and it will be coming home!
I specifically asked the dealer to keep all apprentices away from the snorkel install. He laughed, and I said, "No, I'm serious"

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great news on the new truck relgate.

I love my BT and will come close to 40,000km in the first year (mostly work km's), no issues to report on i'm glad to say. Mines pretty loaded up with extras drawers in the back and i consistently get less than 10L/100km which i think is pretty good for such a large powerful car in an auto.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great news on the new truck relgate.

I love my BT and will come close to 40,000km in the first year (mostly work km's), no issues to report on i'm glad to say. Mines pretty loaded up with extras drawers in the back and i consistently get less than 10L/100km which i think is pretty good for such a large powerful car in an auto.

Sounds good. Are those figures of the car's computer? I've heard it's a little optimistic...
I should re-read your thread. Do you have standard tyres?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Sounds good. Are those figures of the car's computer? I've heard it's a little optimistic...
I should re-read your thread. Do you have standard tyres?

The car computer normally sits on 9.5, but the few time i've calculated it, its closer to 10, but still pretty close. It has standard sized tyres but put Cooper AT3 tyres on instead of the highway tyres that come standard.

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Update:
The BT50 should be arriving at the dealer today or early next week, then they just need to add the accessories (tow bar, snorkel etc) and it will be coming home!
I specifically asked the dealer to keep all apprentices away from the snorkel install. He laughed, and I said, "No, I'm serious"
HAHA I said the same thing as I have always fitted my own snorkles. I know it was done properly too on the BT ;)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Car is scheduled for delivery Tomorrow or Wednesday. Cant wait.

I've already got the Tekonsha P3 and I'm waiting for delivery of the reverse camera equipment.
I've gone with an auto dimming OEM style reverse mirror monitor with 2 video inputs, and have ordered a kit do do the van camera as well. I'll install the van camera myself, but will get the auto sparkies to do the car side.