Relgate got a new BT50 GT

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds to me like you made the right choice mate, in today's climate I don't understand bad service, it can only do damage. The package sounds great....well done!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I've got the ARB canopy and am impressed in the quality. With regards to the central locking I don't find it too hard to unlock the latches when required. I have the lift up sides which are great for access.

Thanks 17triton. I actually have an ARB canopy on my Hilux. I know it sounds silly to want central locking but it's driving me nuts finding the key in the dark and unlocking both sides, putting one load of gear in, locking it, getting more gear and repeating (did I mention it was dark?). I seem to do a lot of this style of loading/unloading with my music gear. I've been dreaming of central locking for a while.

See what happens I've been offline for a few days and your BT GT turns up :rockon: :clap2:

You can't beat good customer service mate and when your handing over your hard earned you want to feel comfortable. What spring rating did you choose in the rear?

Spring rating is 300kg at the moment. As mentioned, I had a long talk to the ARB man and he reckons they will assess my needs when all fruit is added and do springs accordingly. We talked about shudder and also becoming too stiff, he said they would be happy to change to a different rating if I wasn't happy. This bloke was actually a national manager that had flown up from Melbourne. He had great communication skills and really knew his stuff. He introduced me to the store manager etc etc. It was a nice experience. We'll see how it goes at install time, but given the promises he has made, I feel confident handing over my new machine and my $$$

I've heard there is a bit of a wait on the Bullbars at the moment but it will be worth it :thumb:

Yep. I can wait. 4 months waiting for an Expanda taught me patience...

I like the smokey bonnet deflector too it hides all the dust behind it ;)

:tea:

It was you that tipped me over the edge with this. It was 50/50 but I'm really glad about the decision. Thanks for the tip!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Sounds to me like you made the right choice mate, in today's climate I don't understand bad service, it can only do damage. The package sounds great....well done!

Thanks Mate. You've been in business for 20 odd years, so I reckon you'd understand business relationships better than most.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I saw a clear one the other day on a BT and with the big gap between the bonnet and deflector it looked a bit like a leaf catcher :thumb:

That's good service if they'll swap it for you (the springs) too, I'd say 300kg sounds good for you with canopy etc

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Funny what you say about TJM. I had a similar experience when I was researching some items and it was almost as if I was wasting their time because they knew I was not going to buy there and then on the spot.
Will await some pics with mods :)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looks great relgate, love the BT in white.

Your story about customer service is opposite to my area, where TJM fall over them selves to do a good deal and ARB are rude and don't really want to help. Its a pity because i i prefer the look of the ARB gear.In the end i got my ARB gear through the Mazda dealer.

Good customer service is a dead art these days, especially in the 4wd industry.

Look forward to seeing the mods when fitted.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Looks great relgate, love the BT in white.

Your story about customer service is opposite to my area, where TJM fall over them selves to do a good deal and ARB are rude and don't really want to help. Its a pity because i i prefer the look of the ARB gear.In the end i got my ARB gear through the Mazda dealer.

Good customer service is a dead art these days, especially in the 4wd industry.

Look forward to seeing the mods when fitted.

yep that's been my experience of ARB also. I got the feeling that unless you walked in waving cash around that you were willing to send today, they quickly switched off and couldn't be bothered to help you.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
relgate, time for a new thread title I think :D

How do you find it compared to the Hilux?

When does it go into ARB for some new accessories?

Thanks Cruza, I think the new title should be "Relgate got a BT50"!!!

Unfortunately it doesnt compare to the Hilux..... It's about 100 times better!
Actually, the Hilux is a great vehicle but very 'agricultural' compared to the BT. The ride and handling in the Mazda is streets ahead. I havent towed with it yet but I hope/assume it will pull better too. Obviously interior is much nicer but this creates a problem for me as I'm filthy at the end of the day, and I need to transport dirty, sharp tools. I'll probably get seat covers and just visualize/imagine the leather!

As mentioned, I've put a deposit on the ARB gear, but no idea when they will book it in. I got the gear at the local ARB annual open day so they have lots of orders to fill. I'm in no rush, still have to run it in gently before I hit the rough stuff.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
As mentioned in another thread, I'm currently deciding on canopy options.
I really like the ARB tradesman rack, but I'm still dead keen for central locking.
There are 3 main options for me:

Flexiglass:
Seem cheap at the moment ($2900 installed)
Has central locking
Rated to 100kg load, but with no internal bracing could stress/crack the tub
Heard someone had trouble with water coming in at the tailgate. I had seen the design and thought the same. Water looks like it's channeled down the sides of the rear glass and I couldnt see much stopping it getting sucked/dripped back into the tub.
Also, the rails are very short and looks like you can only fit 1 bar. Not sure I will get as full size ARB tradesmans rack on it.

Razorback:
Steel canopies, option of tracks so should be able to fit 2 bars or the ARB rack
More expensive (up around $3800 installed, still waiting for definate quote)
Has central locking option
I assume nice and solid, havent seen one in the flesh.
Not sure I'm in love with the look. They seem higher than my cab. Not a deal breaker

ARB
Basic but good
No central locking, but could do a dodgy upgrade if I'm keen. see here http://canopylocks.com.au/
Not exactly cheap. similar or same as Flexiglass
Would easily be able to add ARB tradesman rack. See here
http://arb.com.au/media/products/roof-racks-bars/LandCruiser-75-trade-3800023.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks Cruza, I think the new title should be "Relgate got a BT50"!!!

Unfortunately it doesnt compare to the Hilux..... It's about 100 times better!
Actually, the Hilux is a great vehicle but very 'agricultural' compared to the BT. The ride and handling in the Mazda is streets ahead. I havent towed with it yet but I hope/assume it will pull better too. Obviously interior is much nicer but this creates a problem for me as I'm filthy at the end of the day, and I need to transport dirty, sharp tools. I'll probably get seat covers and just visualize/imagine the leather!

As mentioned, I've put a deposit on the ARB gear, but no idea when they will book it in. I got the gear at the local ARB annual open day so they have lots of orders to fill. I'm in no rush, still have to run it in gently before I hit the rough stuff.
I'm glad you like it relgate just don't tell everyone how good they are :bounce:

The ARB gear will be worth the wait too it will make it a more capable vehicle :thumb:

Did you want me to change the title mate?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Boom.
I ordered the Flexiglass canopy today.
There was no clear winner with the canopies, but in the end Flexiglass was closest.
Apparently it is rated to 150Kg and has some internal steel structure? Might be sales hype but I also think it looks the best on the BT50 as well.
I will have issues with getting the racks and basket the way I want them but I will attack that after I have the canopy installed.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
latest update:
Booked in to get the front bar, winch, underbody, UHF and suspension at ARB on Monday. Will also get the hotwires for fridge and battery run off a relay into the 12 pin plug, and see if they can install my brake control while they're at it. None of them (sales) had heard of Tekonsha before?????

Canopy is on backorder and is 'promised' for mid August (originally promised mid July)

Note on the reverse camera:
I had ordered a replacement mirror/camera screen off ebay. However, it did no fit the GT because of the rain sensor etc. This info was mentioned on the listing, but I negotiated directly with the seller and so both of us did not realise the problem. He sent me a propsed mod idea that required cutting the factory mirror off and drilling an 18mm hole for the new mirror. It looked feasable but there was no way I was going to do that to a new car under warranty.
The seller now has a GT version that fits without mod and has generously offered to swap it over for the other mirror. He has been great to deal with. The replacement should arrive any day.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good result mate, I put a reverse camera in mine today and mounted a 3.5 inch monitor in the bottom right of the windscreen and it works really well

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Got the bar, winch, underbody, suspension and UHF all done!
Sorry about the dodgy pic
20130802_200925 (2).jpg

The factory tyres now look way too small so looks like some new rubber is needed. Can anyone lend me some $$$?

None of the electrical has been done yet. Turnms out that ARB doesnt have an auto sparky and panicked at the hotwire install so I asked them not to do any electrical at all. I will go to as local guy for that stuff.