Holden Man's Landcruiser 200 series VX

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
All little steps........ARB hasn't even got a bullbar yet cause the LC200 facelift...hence even spotlights have to wait....
I took my spot lights off the 100 series in my opinion they block air getting to intercooler and raiditor but if you need them put them on my head lights are very good so dont need them i want to have the best cooling when towing maybe im wrong

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
The Lovell's will be the first upgrade. No sense in having a good boat if you load her up and she sinks.

Spotlights are such an emotive topic...............

I don't think that half the people that talk about them have ever lived in an area where roos are a problem...........

The outskirts of Sydney??? Get real.......NFI

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The Lovell's will be the first upgrade. No sense in having a good boat if you load her up and she sinks.

Spotlights are such an emotive topic...............

I don't think that half the people that talk about them have ever lived in an area where roos are a problem...........

The outskirts of Sydney??? Get real.......NFI

This was the M4 on ramp. That's close to the geographical centre of greater Sydney, near wet n wild!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The high beam on the VX is fantastic. The best factory lights I have ever had. I added 240 hid lightforces and when traveling in country Vic or NSW with the dead straight roads there just great. But I don't do that a lot, the LED lightbar I added probably only ads 20% to the factory setup.

I have no idea how the GXL lights are but the VX HID with self leveling are superb.

Reactions: cruza driver

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I have no idea how the GXL lights are but the VX HID with self leveling are superb.

GXL - better than I expected them to be. I've got a 120W lightbar on, and find it doesn't do much better than the high beam on the open road, and only adds side fill in more built up areas.
Low beam is ok, but the cut off is too short

Reactions: Smirke and achjimmy

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Hate to be a stirrer but one live roo jumping down a highway is pretty insubstantial......Out west they don't go down the highway/road they go across it... Must be Redneck kangaroos out west because they have no road manners like those down Sydney. Jump out and hit your car more often than not in the side instead of at the front on the bullbar........Poorly educated those western roos....Should send them a copy of the highway video so they know how to behave.........

Would go out and get a video of the quantity and quality of the roos out here...............but I don't have a bulbar yet...and as I said... I avoid them....side hits aren't good.....

Might do a carcase video for 5-10 km or so out from town in the daytime.............That at least shows how many have damaged cars.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Hate to be a stirrer but one live roo jumping down a highway is pretty insubstantial......Out west they don't go down the highway/road they go across it... Must be Redneck kangaroos out west because they have no road manners like those down Sydney. Jump out and hit your car more often than not in the side instead of at the front on the bullbar........Poorly educated those western roos....Should send them a copy of the highway video so they know how to behave.........

Would go out and get a video of the quantity and quality of the roos out here...............but I don't have a bulbar yet...and as I said... I avoid them....side hits aren't good.....

Might do a carcase video for 5-10 km or so out from town in the daytime.............That at least shows how many have damaged cars.
Over the decades since early 70's I've done sections of the Stuart Hwy many times, plus full length as well, at night with all its obstacles. Then there's the trips through to the East Coast and night drives to and from Bathurst and Adelaide. In all my night trips I've never come across so many dead Roo's as when we came back from our trip this year and saw them all from Barcaldine to Longreach. It was amazing even to us. I only do day driving these days and night is a last resort to get to the next place to stop. Roo's, pig's, horse's, cattle, sheep, donkey's (some with 2 legs), Buff's, Emu's etc aren't fun anymore to me.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

The roo couldn't do anything different but thats because of the concrete barriers. My point being there is a lot of Roos in western Sydney. Since they carved up the old ADI (Defence site) 100 and 100s off acres they haven't been able to contain the Roos that were left. So there are roo strikes happening around penrith! Yes nothing like some country areas but incredibly high , so still enough to be observant IMO when the roads are quite not so much an issue when busy as they are spooked off.

I guess people just like to think certain things don't happen in cities, bit like a few summers ago on a filthy hot day, when the record for snake call outs in the Sydney CBD alone was 28 in one day!

Reactions: davemc

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I'm with @PhilD if you can avoid night driving avoid it....plan around it wherever possible cause the buggers just bugger the vehicle....Round here the Tuff bullbar is pretty dominant...how they pass RDI rules I've no idea...but it doesn't stop the side of the car getting smacked in even with side rails.

Biggest hint I can give is look at ya GPS and be very careful where a creek or river is near a road...........they sleep in the shade in the daytime and then get up for a drink......hence hits being near towns.......towns be built near water a lot of the time.

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Went into dealership today to get price for the BBB and a few queries on the 200. Can't believe there's 2 grand extra because we are in the west!!!! What a rip off. Must say the price shocked me, and then was told the accessories would get us the added bonus of luxury tax. Bugger that. It's no luxury carting 5 boys around the country in a vehicle. Who thought up such rubbish???

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Unfortunately we would be salary packaging the car, so all mods really need to be done before signing on the dotted line. I can see only the absolute bare necessities will go on it if we proceed

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hey @Holden_man I have been away for a while, just noticed this thread, did I not say a while ago you would end up with one of these? Must be far too much money in beer (or you're just a brand junky)
Will we see it at the group meet next year??

Oh and congrats you will enjoy it I'm sure, if you don't no one will ever know ;)

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@Holden_man Window tint? Toyota here wanted $295 That's for the two front side windows, there's privacy tint on all rear windows. It only cost $200 on the Ranger for 4 side windows and one rear. Yep it's a rip-off. Luckily out here they don't do the protection packs and rust packs etc. I Péed off the girl at Ford when I got the Ranger. She downed the quality of the Ford paint job real bad trying to get a sale. I eventually said I'd think about it and sent here a very direct email saying no thanks don't bother me again. She looked at me funny the next day when I picked up the car.

I really hate pushy sales persons. Tell me the facts let me make a decision.......don't harp.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hey @Holden_man just check whether the privacy glass fitted to the Toyota has any UV protection in it.
Most privacy glass is just that, dark glass, whereas with a tint film you get UV protection along with the heat reduction, glare etc.

My Jeep came with privacy glass on the rear but it had no UV protection, so I had all windows tinted with 2 different levels of tint so it would match as close as possible front and back, and the kids get the UV protection in the back too.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Can I ask what people are doing with a second , or extra, battery. I've been told that the 2 batteries that are in the 200 are for running the car and its electrics, and the norm is to install a 3rd. Is it necessary? I ask because we got a second one in the patrol as we have extra 12V and the van running off that other battery. Car person recommended another if the van requires any power. Trying to keep the wants and needs separated, as the luxury tax is a HUGE killer!

Reactions: Holden_man