Holden Man's Landcruiser 200 series VX

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Asked my Toyota dealer for GVM upgrade options tonight (email). Will let yuz know if he says anything useful. GVM allows a legal load of 610kg -fuel 100kg-passengers 200kg-towball 210kg-bullbar and towbar............and I'm over....haven't even got an empty roofrack.... second battery and empty fridge in......

Without a GVM upgrade the LC200 isn't really much of a touring vehicle if you want to be legal. But then again my Ranger was perfect and legal until I broke it.
ARB do an off the shelf 200kg GVM upgrade for certain Landcruiser models .... but they also do a 300kg upgrade for the Ranger ... o_O

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Toyota says $3000-$4000 through A1 Exhausts who do Lovells Suspension. Lovells looks like the best by internet reviews. The Lovells website says $3850 inc GST. That's for a 500kg GVM upgrade pre first registration. Installed before first registration gives you national compliance plate and GVM upgrade. Post first registration you have to go through the state system, and the upgrade can't be registered in another state without being re-certified by an engineer.

Probably a bit rougher when empty......But it'll generally be on good roads when empty..

Reactions: bigcol

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey guys

Just completed my GVM upgrade on my Prado 150, signed off and approved yesterday. The engineer certs allowed me to increase my GVM all the way up to 3500kg's which for me and the Prado is very high and I probably won't use it all but the compliance and certs worked on this figure so I wasn't complaining.

Obviously got mine completed post registration which just means it is compliant everywhere but if I want to sell it I have to sell it in the state I got the work done, but for me I will be running this thing into the ground so hopefully another 10-15years worth of trips and adventures.

Similarly with with LC200 springs and shocks will bump up the GVM from the standard 3350 to 3500+ just depends on what the engineer has spec'd and got approvals for, just bear in mind your rego etc will increase due to the increased GVM but not much really mine was $50 more a year and for an additional 500kg's of load (if I need it) then it is worth it.

Also note my GVM upgrade does not affect the GCM, so my towing limits don't change, but depending on the weight of your van if it is much less than your tow capacity then you should have some additional room to move and put that extra GVM load to good use

I was limited to only a couple of places in Oz that would do my upgrade, and lucky for me one of them in based in Perth, but for the LC200 it is a much more well known upgrade so I believe there are heaps of different companies offering the upgrades just depends on how much you want to increase it and what you are prepared to pay for it :)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Ride hasn't changed much @Holden_man I had a ARB OME lift in it previously so similar to that, much better than the standard kit that comes out of the factory which is more designed for on-road use, so this gives a better feel on and offload, will be throwing the van on in a few days for the WA catchup down south so will give it a longer run and see what it feels like.

Regarding warranty it is always one of those things the dealer says any non standard changes "may" affect your warranty, but like anything if the GVM Upgrade is deemed to have caused a fault/issue and a warranty request is submitted then it is up to all parties to prove that the GVM upgrade was the cause of the issue. I am not too concerned about the Prado it is very under spec'd for what it can do, don't get me wrong I am not going to fully overload it and push the boundary's but the cruiser's are well built and handle pretty much anything.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @Holden_man forgot to mention, make sure you check your insurance's and whether they will cover your GVM Upgrade and if so how much more is the premium going to be. With all the mods etc on mine I have gone through a 4WD insurance broker so adding the GVM upgrade to a list of items already there wasn't a bit deal, main thing they wanted to confirm was that the upgrade wasn't going to increase the height of the vehicle more than the allowable 2inches if so then my premiums would be going up but all good as it remains a 2inch lift.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Hey @Holden_man forgot to mention, make sure you check your insurance's and whether they will cover your GVM Upgrade and if so how much more is the premium going to be. With all the mods etc on mine I have gone through a 4WD insurance broker so adding the GVM upgrade to a list of items already there wasn't a bit deal, main thing they wanted to confirm was that the upgrade wasn't going to increase the height of the vehicle more than the allowable 2inches if so then my premiums would be going up but all good as it remains a 2inch lift.
Interestingly when I did my lift, the RACV only wanted to know if it was legal and still complied with the ADR's. Yes and yes, so all insured no hassles.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Here's my preliminary calculations:

TOYOTA GVM 3350 kg
ORIGINAL Kerb 2740 kg
SPEC'S Payload Maximum 610 kg
Fuel 100 kg
Bullbar 100 kg
Towbar 20 kg
Passengers 230 kg
Second Battery 30 kg
Towball Wieght 230 kg
Roofrack Empty 40 kg
Fridge Empty 30 kg
TOTAL 780 kg

OVER WEIGHT BY 170 kg

ARB GVM Payload increase 230 kg
UPGRADE New Payload 840 kg
$2,400
Available Payload above red stated plus 60 kg

WHICH OF THE BELOW DO I TAKE???

Kayak 40 kg
Fridge Contents 20 kg
Solar Panels 20 kg
Chairs & Tables 20 kg
Water 4x20lt 80 kg
Second Spare Tire 30 kg

TOTAL 210 kg

LOVELL'S GVM Payload increase 500 kg
UPGRADE New Payload 1110 kg
$4,100

Available Payload above stated red and pink plus120 kg

Critique wanted....Am I being unreasonable in what I want to take with the van for a long hall free-camp wherever possible?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Critique wanted....Am I being unreasonable in what I want to take with the van for a long hall free-camp wherever possible?

not really,
but
you did answer your own question

without a doubt - the Lovells looks to be the one to get
then you are well and truly safe for what you are wanting to carry

although
you could (maybe) trim that or add some
get rid of the roof rack, and just get roof bars - less weight, and you can put your Yak on top, and an awnning on the side
get a dual wheel carrier on the back
takes care of spare, and the towbar weight will be included in that

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I agree with all your comments and questions, I am asking the same...couple clarifications though.
Fuel seems to be included in the kerb weight, this came from a toyota site...[/QUOTE

I read somewhere kerb weight criteria is dependant on, and set by, the manufacturer on their whim. How much fuel (if any) is included in the kerb weight varies between manufacturer. Adding up individual additions is a good indicator, but it all becomes real only when your sitting on the weight bridge. Those McDonalds chips under the seat can sneak up on you ;)

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I really need to fill the van up and go weigh it, and I think my Toyota dealer is going to charge me extra for a towbar that is a standard accessory...Come to think about it...He was goin g to charge extra for a second battery as well....

@Holden_man is that for a GXL as well as a VX?

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Second battery is standard on the 2104 model. 280mm Drop hitch cost less than $300 at 4wd shop for Hayman Reece. Tow hitch is standard. Wiring cost extra, $200+ from memory.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Well,I'm white again..............they found one........and I was just getting used to silver.............
Will still do the Lovell's upgrade but.....500kg gives a bit of leeway (wagon not counted as commercial vehicle).......even though it could be rough when not touring.

I'll have the car for ten years and if the kids are like the parents I'll have to factor in a few kg as they grow up (or out).

I'm looking at too many forums etc at the moment so hopefully this is not a repeat. Evidently the dual battey present is just two lower Amp(CCA) batteries.....can be easily upgraded but needs two new batteries ($800) and a battery management system ($200-$1200).

Reactions: Holden_man

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when I first brought the 100 Kakadu, first mod was a dual battery system - Piranha - was the only one at the time that was fully electronic, and matched the Cruisers wiring system

paid top dollar (west aussie - everything is dearer over here) but have NEVER had a problem - 10 yrs down the track

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
FWIW I went with lovells in mine. Talking to the scalies, you only need to be 1kg over weight and they'll happily sideline and fine you. I can't see myself ever loading up to 3800kg, but that piece of mind that I'm well and truly safe is a good thing. Yes it was $3000 (thru TJM via the dealer) plus another $1000 LCT, but still.....

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@Holden_man All starts to get complicated from the LCCool forum.............Toyota evidently puts two 550CCA batteries in the LC200.

As can be expected there's a hell of a lot of opinion with respect to what to do for an auxiliary battery. Upgrade both batteries, isolate those present, put in a third etc etc...

I dunno what I'm gunna do yet..............All I can say is that from specification and personal opinion based on experience from those without LC200's..............if possible get Caterpillar batteries..............Zhit loads better than anything else on the market. Have a look yourself at the CAT site......What'll fit I dunno....Haven't got the vehicle yet,,,all is research.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Lot of over thinking @Dean Anderson just get it get the Lovells GVM upgrade and get using it mate. The Lovells is not rough empty at all. Run the standard batteries and use a household brand isolator to divide them plus one of hks diode boosters (all up $150-200) are you thinking winch and bigger batteries down the track? If so try and get Lovells to fit xhd to the front if only bar don't worry stick with HD.

Guys like the vans you'll find the weights will add up quickly and you are never suprised pleasantly ! Personally I think the ARB 3580 kg upgrade just ain't enough bang4buck TBH

@straydingo theres always a tolerance with weights I know there is +\- 20kg on weighbridge's alone. I believe in NSW they give trucks a much larger tolerance again? And I am yet to meet a soul who has been weighed with a van!