Fuel ecomomy - Towing Expanda

Bushy

Jan 6, 2011
Nice looking colorado mfexpanda i have one the same will try and get a pic of it for ya

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
VERY HAPPY
Towed my expanda all the way to Newnes along the Mitchell Highway from Molong through Bathurst toward Lithgow.

This was a constant uphill slog, averaging about 90-95km/h.

The fuel consumption with the BT with three bikes on the roof and a fully loaded 2.5t expanda was 14.5l/100km, which I think is really good, considering that my patrol used 19l/100km towing the Eagle outback (1.2t) on the same trip.

greggels

Aug 2, 2012
Sunshine Coast
Just done a trip to Toowoomba and back from Sunshine Coast out through Kilcoy, hilly country, got 14.6 lts per hundred klms out of 3lt Patrol, Dtronic chip and Beaudesert exhaust, very happy with economy and power

Cheers Greg

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
VERY HAPPY
Towed my wxpanda all the way to Newnes along the Mitchell Highway from Molong through Bathurst toward Lithgow.

This was a constant uphill slog, averaging about 90-95km/h.

The fuel consumption with the BT with bikes on the roof and afully load 2.5t expanda was 14.5l/100km, which I think is really good, considering that my patrol used 19l/100km towing the Eagle outback (1.2t) on the same trip.

We've done qld to melbourne out to warrnambool and almost back to geelong and are averaging at 14.3 so much the same as you. We also have the 17.56-2 OB and the manual 2012 BT-50 4x4 Dual Cab. The van has been attached for almost the entire trip. We have been very happy too coming from a 2004 3.0L TD Patrol that was using anything from 16-18l/100. We didn't find much difference in fuel between sitting on 90 and sitting on 100.

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
Those BT50s do seem to go well. The best i've got with my manual 2011 Mitsu Challenger/17.56-2 is 13.7l/100 doing ~95kph, worst was 19l/100 doing 105kph into a strong headwind and uphill. I'd say the average is about 15.5l/100, but I haven't been sparing the boot on this current trip, keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
I try to limit RPM to 3000 as much as I can and use 5th gear down hills or on the flat with tail winds. Light throttle only in 5th and back to 4th if more than small throttle needed.

On our Canberra trip it was about 20-21 as there are more hills I guess.

We may be lucky too, some engines are just a little better than there "brothers".

Ours is manual too - not sure if that makes a difference? Pathetic clutch on Prado (Quote from Toyota Dealer) so we had to replace it with a heavy duty clutch too.

Thanks BOD! Good to see how others was similar car drive. :)
Cheers
Ants

TraceynGrant

Oct 3, 2012
SW Victoria
We get 12.7l/100km towing at 100km/h with our auto Sorento, which is really pleasing (gets 7.5l/100km not towing) but the ball weight is lousy, only 150kg which limited our choice of van.

Lucky our Expanda provided exactly what we wanted!

New car next year and will likley be choosing between 2013 Sorento, Volvo XC90 or Discovery.

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Have done two trips over the past two weekends, I worked out the 2009 Pathie is doing about 16ltrs per 100km. BUT- ponder me this, on trip one. Canberra to Parkes, we used about 20 ltrs less on the way back than the way there. I would argue more uphill on the way back? Today returned from a trip down the coast (Canberra to Pambula), used about 30 ltrs less than on the way down - definately up hill on the way back. Focused on the revs the second trip and most of the time on about 2000 (except coming back up brown Mountain - where it pulled like a dream). Next trip is a few weeks away but the way im going I'm hoping I might get back with more fuel than I started with:third:,!!

kyoshofw05

Oct 1, 2011
Hillside 3037
Last week took the 14.44.4 to big 4 anglesea with the Au falcon sedan ran it on gas to see how long the tank lasts and l was very serpp rised on a 80 liter tank which only 60 is used l got nearly 300 klm , panda was about 1750kg and towed it nicely. Still l need to get a 4x4 and turbo diesel.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Have done two trips over the past two weekends, I worked out the 2009 Pathie is doing about 16ltrs per 100km. BUT- ponder me this, on trip one. Canberra to Parkes, we used about 20 ltrs less on the way back than the way there. I would argue more uphill on the way back? Today returned from a trip down the coast (Canberra to Pambula), used about 30 ltrs less than on the way down - definately up hill on the way back. Focused on the revs the second trip and most of the time on about 2000 (except coming back up brown Mountain - where it pulled like a dream). Next trip is a few weeks away but the way im going I'm hoping I might get back with more fuel than I started with:third:,!!

When going to WA and back, we were generally around the 20 l/100 mark, except for one day between Ceduna and Border village where we hit 31. Figured it was the wind against us heading West which was fairly strong, but got exactly the same result coming back along that stretch also :) Never figured out why - wasn't too much in the way of hills there......
Figured it was just a Pathy thing :D

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Back from our trip Kilmore-Dubbo-Gold Coast-Sunshine Coast-Coffs Harbour-Nelson Bay-Kilmore.

About 4400 km all up of which 4000 km was towing.

12.5 l/100 km. Great towing power too.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Just back from the coast (Canberra --> North Durras --> Canberra) down and up Clyde mountain and Smiths Gap. Wind was not noticeable and the air temp was about 14 degree's both ways though going down it was raining. Going down was 13.5l/100 and back up was 15l/100. Going down I swung by the farm so I drove back through the bush. About 30min of crawling and that saw the economy worsen a bit. I'm happy with that. The car went very well and I stuck to the speed limit where possible.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Back from our first trip & shakedown for a family reunion over the school holidays (Kyneton -> West Wyalong -> Dubbo -> Warwick -> Byron Bay -> Gunnedah -> Harden -> Kyneton).

Travelled at signed speed limits all the way, unless something slower was in front of us (or some of the lengthy road word delays on the Newell Hwy).

On a daily basis, depending on the winds and some of the hills (particularly between Byron Bay and Tenterfield) we averaged between 19l & 22l/100km.

Still have to do the overall trip calculations, but looks like the new 4.5l Twin Turbo V8 Cruiser is a bit of a diesel theif!

I am sure if we stayed at about 90kmh we would have a bit better better off economy wise, but my wife does not like to spend all day in the car and I don't like loosing extra days to unnecessary overnight stops.

Cheers,

Rohan

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Still have to do the overall trip calculations, but looks like the new 4.5l Twin Turbo V8 Cruiser is a bit of a diesel theif!

Yeah but I bet you had to keep looking in the mirror to see if the van was still there!

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Just checked the fuel ecomonmy when bringing the 16.49.4 OB empty from Melbourne even though it had 20lb in 1 tyre, I should have noticed, was 16.4L per 100 kms towing with a 2001 Hilux 2.7l petrol I slipstreamed a semi most of the way.

Greg

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Yeah but I bet you had to keep looking in the mirror to see if the van was still there!

True! And that IS the very reason we bought it - Easy towing of the Panda and horse float.

Stopped at MacNamara's in your neck of the woods on the way home the other night - Nothing like a Kilkenny and Parma with the family to finish of a big day of driving home down the Hume Fwy and cutting across to Kyneton.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Stopped at MacNamara's in your neck of the woods on the way home the other night - Nothing like a Kilkenny and Parma with the family to finish of a big day of driving home down the Hume Fwy and cutting across to Kyneton.

Nice pub...............good choice Sir!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Back from our trip. Almost 4500km about 10%without the van. Overall economy as 13.0. After the WDH was stolen, the new one was slightly different. Matt seemed to think it gave a smoother ride and we seemed to pick up some fuel economy on the way back. On the flat roads, the computer was reading 10-11L/100.

What is it with Parma and Victoria? It was on every menu I saw!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Back from our trip. Almost 4500km about 10%without the van. Overall economy as 13.0. After the WDH was stolen, the new one was slightly different. Matt seemed to think it gave a smoother ride and we seemed to pick up some fuel economy on the way back. On the flat roads, the computer was reading 10-11L/100.

What is it with Parma and Victoria? It was on every menu I saw!
We're very sophisticated down here. The Shamrock Hotel in Echuca has 70 different Parmas on the menu so it's not as if you can't have variety!