Fuel ecomomy - Towing Expanda

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I have a 3lt Patrol with chip, 3" mandral exhaust and fuel rail mod, on our recent trip up the Oodnadatta to Alice towing a16.49.4, my fuel use was terrible, I have not done the numbers yet as just home but roughly from the 85lt primary tank around 350km.... Going to have the injectors done and dyno to try and improve. I should add that that was with roof rack, diesel, water, chainsaw and full spare kit on roof, water in van and 4 humans!!!

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
I have a 3lt Patrol with chip, 3" mandral exhaust and fuel rail mod, on our recent trip up the Oodnadatta to Alice towing a16.49.4, my fuel use was terrible, I have not done the numbers yet as just home but roughly from the 85lt primary tank around 350km.... Going to have the injectors done and dyno to try and improve. I should add that that was with roof rack, diesel, water, chainsaw and full spare kit on roof, water in van and 4 humans!!!

what sort of rail mod ?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
First trip away in the new BT50. About 300km's towing and 50kms 4wding and touring around some forest trails, final figures for the trip.................12.8L/100km............yeah baby, i am one happy camper!

The car isn't even run in yet!

Power and torque on tap, actual overtaking ability, comfort, handling, the list goes on...............................:smokin:

Hey Moto Moto,
Is the Auto a 6 speed. On Friday I picked up the BT-50 in a manual. Yet to put the snorkle on it yet though. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the extra 450kg of the 17-56.2 OB.

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
Had our TDCi Territory for 6 weeks now and averaging 8l/100. No towing yet - book says 3000km before that!

Nearly there!
Put the van on it and break it in hard,find some nice big hills and make it work:bump2:It will do it the world of good
You dont see truck companies bug new prime movers and run them around for a week or two with out a load

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Done 2500 km and no time to play for about 3 weeks.

Planning on a run to Daylesford or somewhere like that for a weekend. Lots of turns and hills etc.

Love driving it, or at least I do when the wife hasn't got it :yield:

Glad we bought it when we did: Ford have cut the factory rebate on the TDCi and reduced it on the petrol. Now it's $4000 more!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi All,

Here is the Fuel Consumption Report "for the PX Ranger from the Iphone App "Gas Cubby" we have now travelled 7200 kms @ a total average of 11.5 ltrs per 100kms.

Ranger Fuel Consumption.jpg

On the 28th we travelled into a shocking head wind (Coffs Harbour through to Buledelah) & I expected to see the economy go up further than it actually did!

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
G'day all. Thought I'd add some fuel figures for our combined rig to the thread.

Tug - 2011 Patrol GU7 ST wagon, 3.0 Common Rail Diesel, manual transmission. Bullbar, snorkel, roofrack with 120W solar on top, AUX battery, rear awning, Outback drawers and ARB fridge. Standard Nissan alloys and tyres. Engine is moded with a Diesel Smart module with boost control, integrated pyro and catch can. http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/diesel_smart.php - be warned - this webpage is difficult to read due to white print on black background.

'Van - 2012 Sterling 17.55-4 OB

I monitor the average (and instant) fuel useage with a Scangauge and it consistantly reports fuel usage the same as odometer/service station pumps. Usually less than 1 litre variation. PROVIDED I STAY AWAY FROM COLES OR WOOLWORTHS OUTLETS.

I have found many instances at Coles or Woolies where the pump 'short' supplies the amount shown on the pump. The patrol has a 30 litre sub tank and most other outlets will click off at between 30.2 and 30.5 Litres. Have had occasion at some Coles or Woolies sites where the pump indicates up to 35 Litres!! Seems someone is tweaking the calibration adjustment on the pumps. On one occasion I filled a "Sceptre" red plastic jerrycan. It is opaque and has a 20L guide mark as a safe fill level, near the top. I stopped filling at the mark but was really taken back when I turned to discover that the meter on the pump showed almost 27 Litres!! I asked the console operator as to when the pumps were last calibrated - but the junior just had no idea. That is a 35% overcharge! So much for the 4 cent discount, which on $1.579 diesel only represents a 2.53% discount!

Our Nissan fuel consumption.
Vehicle only 11 to 12 LHK average.
Towing the Jayco prior to engine enhancements 18.5 LHK average.
Towing Jayco after engine mods 17.5 LHK average.

Incidentally the Nissan/Jayco combination (~5T) uses significantly more fuel than the 5.8 Tonne Hino RB145A motorhome that we had previously, which was usually in the 14 LHK region.

Reactions: Dandy

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for posting up Tuco some interesting observations

Thats not bad at all Bigman I'd be happy with that :first: it will be interesting to see if it does improve when its run in a bit more

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
I look away from the scan gauge when approaching the hills!!

I used to do much the same - scary stuff - LHK gauge showing an instant reading of over 60 LHK !!

I now only ever look at the AVG gauge - easier on the ticker !! LOL !!

BTW - anyone reading this thread and not familiar with the "Scangauge" as posted by myself and others - here is the link. It's a very usefull tool and accessory for most modern vehicles that have an OBD II diagnostic port.
http://www.scangauge.com/

I have no affiliation.

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
Had our first trip on the weekend from Brisbane to Byron Bay and return.

We averaged 14.1 l/100k for the return journey using a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder towing a 2100kg 17.56-1.

Usually average around town 9.5 and on the highway 7.8 l/100k.

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Hey Moto Moto,
We have towed our Expanda for about 25,000 kms around Oz and found that if we sit between 85-95 kmh i will average about 16l/100Km, have been out to about 20L/100Km if travelling against a head wind, travelling a bit faster or if there has been a few hills around. Its good to see what everyone else has been getting as a guide.
I rang Toyota about towing in D and they said that they had no problems towing it in D but said drop it back if going up hills, which didnt make sense as the auto drops back a gear or 2 itself. If anyone has more info would love to hear it.
Rohan

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi all
I drove from Sydney to Melbourne to pick up my 17.56.2
Economy on the way down at 110km/hr was 11.2 L/100km
Economy on the way back with van at 100km/hr was 17.96 L/100km

I was cooking along at 110km/hr initially but soon found the transmission overheat warning light on.
Also noticed that the cruise control started 'giving up' on steep hills rather than stepping down. It just dis-engaged.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Did a quick trip to Nagambie with the Territory towing our 17.56-2.

Normal economy is 8.5 and with the van it was 13. Pulled the van at 100 kph without a problem.