Fuel ecomomy - Towing Expanda

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Done over 15000kms with Patrol diesel 3l and 16.49.3.

Average so far is 17.6 l / 100kms

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So far for this run, 3500km with The Tardis loaded up, the Jeeperific is returning 12.7l/100k, thats run from Toowooomba to Airlie then out west, worked out that the extra beer and both water tanks full (normal only 1 carton and 1 water tank full) is costing me an extra 1lt /100K.
Mod required is dump water and add more beer, the price of the stuff out here is scary.
Diesel at Winton $142.9 .....26May15...less 6c/lt from Van Park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluey and bigcol

Chrisdar

Sep 13, 2014
Reviving and old fuel economy post that was originally about Pajero's. Thought i would start another one comparing different vehicles.

I have towed the Expanda with my 3L Manual Patrol twice now and seem to be averaging 16L/100km towing highway. Thats taking it easy at about 90-95km/hr, mostly towing in 4th.

To be honest not sure if i should be using 5th gear but have been told by a few different people to stick with 4th and take it easy for best fuel economy and least strain on the old girl.

Interested to hear what other people get and their thoughts and opinions and what gear to use on the highway.:blabla:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick_309

May 28, 2015
Noosaville
I have a 2012 BT-50 and get 18.2L/100 towing my 20.63.1. Got up to 21L going up the hills from Grafton to Dorrigo. Lots more drag than the pop tops

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
I have a 2012 BT-50 and get 18.2L/100 towing my 20.63.1. Got up to 21L going up the hills from Grafton to Dorrigo. Lots more drag than the pop tops

Got the same year BT50 with exactly the same 'van, but get no worse than 15L/100km towing and down as low as 8.68L/100km on a mixture of freeway and round town without the house on wheels. Routinely, with Brenda Broadfoot driving, even she cannot push around town figures any worse than 9.5L/100km and she drives the thing like a bloody sports car.

Zoom Zoom.......love that truck.

Mick_309

May 28, 2015
Noosaville
Got the same year BT50 with exactly the same 'van, but get no worse than 15L/100km towing and down as low as 8.68L/100km on a mixture of freeway and round town without the house on wheels. Routinely, with Brenda Broadfoot driving, even she cannot push around town figures any worse than 9.5L/100km and she drives the thing like a bloody sports car.

Zoom Zoom.......love that truck.
Geez I only get 11.5 around town empty and I am not a lead foot by any stretch. I do have ST Maxx coopers which made a noticeable difference to fuel economy as well as a lift and racks/lightbar on the roof. Is yours 4x4? Bullbar etc?

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Geez I only get 11.5 around town empty and I am not a lead foot by any stretch. I do have ST Maxx coopers which made a noticeable difference to fuel economy as well as a lift and racks/lightbar on the roof. Is yours 4x4? Bullbar etc?

No mods other than the bullbar/ spotties and a snorkel and it has a canopy with those roof bars that run from front to back, but no roof rack or or anything. I would carry around 30kg of chairs and recovery gear and various crap that never finds its way back to the shed etc. and i am not the size that anyone would describe as a 'stick insect' - quite the corpulent opposite in fact.

My days of racing about the place at warp factor 9 have long since gone and i no longer donate to the policeman's retirement fund on a regular basis. I go everywhere on cruise control mostly and try and make sure that i am in as high a gear as possible whenever i can, which means usually travelling at 75kph where possible without Plod in the vicinity. Since using the Fuelly website thingo it has made me consciously aware of my fuel consumption and whilst i sound like a sad old git in need of a rejuvenated life, I have always fueled up until the ashtrays were full ever since buying my first car when Adam was a zygote, so know that my figures are accurate.

My choice of the BT50 was a deliberate one. My heart said Landrover Defender, my head (as well as Brenda Broadfoot) said 'don't be so bloody stupid you juvenile Pommy plonker'. For once I listened to my head and retained my dangly bits for good measure as The Land Rover acquisition would have been swiftly followed by balls being separated from the body at the neck.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
No mods other than the bullbar/ spotties and a snorkel and it has a canopy with those roof bars that run from front to back, but no roof rack or or anything. I would carry around 30kg of chairs and recovery gear and various crap that never finds its way back to the shed etc. and i am not the size that anyone would describe as a 'stick insect' - quite the corpulent opposite in fact.

My days of racing about the place at warp factor 9 have long since gone and i no longer donate to the policeman's retirement fund on a regular basis. I go everywhere on cruise control mostly and try and make sure that i am in as high a gear as possible whenever i can, which means usually travelling at 75kph where possible without Plod in the vicinity. Since using the Fuelly website thingo it has made me consciously aware of my fuel consumption and whilst i sound like a sad old git in need of a rejuvenated life, I have always fueled up until the ashtrays were full ever since buying my first car when Adam was a zygote, so know that my figures are accurate.

My choice of the BT50 was a deliberate one. My heart said Landrover Defender, my head (as well as Brenda Broadfoot) said 'don't be so bloody stupid you juvenile Pommy plonker'. For once I listened to my head and retained my dangly bits for good measure as The Land Rover acquisition would have been swiftly followed by balls being separated from the body at the neck.

mate, you should seriously think about being a speech writer for a Politician........
no-one give a flying fook about what they say - but at least it would be entertaining

Reactions: dagree and Bluey