Fuel ecomomy - Towing Expanda

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Sounds like the torque converter wasn't locking up. Drop it out of overdrive (5th in a Paj) and tow in the 1:1 gear (4th); that way the torque converter will stay locked up (but you're adding revs).

For as fix, have a look around for a torque converter lock up switch - try this website http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/#start and also eBay.

Also, adding an aftermarket transmission cooler can help (but doesn't address ther source of the problem...slippage and heat due to disengaged TC).

CC drop out is typical when hauling a heavy load up hill. Its not fuel efficiant to use a cc in that undulating country anyway as cc doesn't read the road; backs off down hill, doesn't gently accelerate along the flat before coming to a hoill to build momentum, instead hits the hill and widen the throttle right up.

I've only got 4 gears in the Hilux. Will this still work? I have no idea what a Torque converter is?....
We towed from Umina back to Sydney yesterday, travelled at 100km/hr with no dramas. Maybe best to stick to this speed anyway for safety.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
what sort of rail mod ?

Sorry for the late reply!
I have had a shim put in the inlet which enables the more fuel to be delivered without the engine management system shutting it down as a fault, what was happening was when the chip was turned up to a higher setting and you placed the engine under load like heavy sand or overtaking at speed it would stall out the vehicle and i had to drop into neutral remove the key and slide it back in and start again... not great at 100km with a 5.2 ton mass...!!! so now with the shim in the rail it will accept the extra fuel and not log a fault and shut down, the down side is fuel economy particulary when towing.
cheers:whoo:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Heaps better Cruza.

The Prado is 3.4 petrol so struggles up the hills and into wind whereas the Terry is 2.7 V6 diesel. Sat at 100 kph doing 2000 rpm in D PERF (overdrive off in other words) with cruise control on no dramas!

Prado is also 18 l/100 on a good day and 20 on a bad one.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Done a few more trips in the BT50 now, and i seem to get anywhere between 13-15 L/100km consistently depending on the terrain. Loving towing with an auto too.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Our maiden voyage with the bt-50 (towing 17.56-2 ob). Towed Ipswich to gold coast with air con on and got 12.1l/100. It was pretty flat though. Without the van (mixed use) it's getting around 8.5 l/100

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 3.0l Diesel around town consumes around 9.5l/100kms. On a recent trip to Melbourne from Canberra, it consumed 8.1l/100kms. Towing my Expand 16.49-1 returning back from Melbourne to Canberra it averaged 13.5l/100kms at 110kms on the freeway. I'm very happy with its get up and go, with 177kw, and 550nm. What I am more impressed is the level of features the standard car comes with in the Laredo and the price at $53,000. The Jeep is very quiet on the road, and the gear changes are very smooth. It also has 3500kg towing capacity. So far my car has over 12,000kms and I couldn't be happier.

P1010437.JPG

Cheers

Luis

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
They are pretty good numbers Andrea. Towing at normal speeds or a little under the limit?

110 in the 110 zone and 100 in the 100 zone. I towed it home (first time towing the panda ever) and the overall trip ended at 12.5 l/100.... Would seem like I'm more of a lead foot! Other than taking off you couldn't even feel it on the back! We're doing a 4000 km 2 week trip soon so we hope we can average around 14. Will compensate for that fact we only have an 80l tank. We have a manual and were in 6th gear for all highway use.

Nice car silverfox :) good results too

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Thats tipping me further to the v6 Navara, i need something that has good power and the economy to match. We ran at 25+ on the last trip in the Patrol...
Are you happy with the Navara? is there anything that you would change or add?
Thanks

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
Thats tipping me further to the v6 Navara, i need something that has good power and the economy to match. We ran at 25+ on the last trip in the Patrol...
Are you happy with the Navara? is there anything that you would change or add?
Thanks

yer so far very happy with the navara, Very impressed with the power,tows nice very stable. Not sure if yo have seen my other post but i have put a ulimate canopy,hayman reese heavy duty towbar pedders air ride rear bags with 10psi in the rear sits 15mm higher in the rear which unload gives it a nice front to rear rake with van on the back sits level. fuel economy if it stay's like that really happy.Next trip in two weeks so will be able to give you a better idea of figures.

Feb 1, 2012
First long trip, Newcastle to Wangaratta 16.1OB, towed by 2010 diesel prado averaged 15.6l/100k, very strong winds so I'm not sure if that's a good indication. Will update throughout the Tasi trip.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
yer so far very happy with the navara, Very impressed with the power,tows nice very stable. Not sure if yo have seen my other post but i have put a ulimate canopy,hayman reese heavy duty towbar pedders air ride rear bags with 10psi in the rear sits 15mm higher in the rear which unload gives it a nice front to rear rake with van on the back sits level. fuel economy if it stay's like that really happy.Next trip in two weeks so will be able to give you a better idea of figures.

That would be great, i would love a V8 toyota too but the cost is too high and i would never live down a Toyota with the boys after being such a Patrol man!!
Cheers :peace:

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
I can finally put some input in here! :)

We have a 2001 3.4L Auto Petrol Prado. Stock except for an extra battery. Petrol consumption on a good tank = 13.8L / 100 and average at 14.8L / 100.

Towed our 16.49-3 Expanda 1630km from Mildura to Brisbane on the weekend. Had some water and a couple of items in it but virtually tare weight of 1680kgs. We had 4 adults and a 13mth old in the Prado along with an Engel Fridge, tools, and some other misc items.

First tank through driving at speed limit of 100 /110 with cruise and overdrive averaged 21 Litres / 100. Next tank dropped speed to 90 no cruise and no overdrive and averaged 20 L / 100. The whole trip averaged 20.5 L / 100.
We had side wind, hills and rough roads. The consumption was as I expected for the prado.

Bank of Dad - you have mentioned that you have gotten 17L / 100? Any tips?

Cheers
Ants

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I try to limit RPM to 3000 as much as I can and use 5th gear down hills or on the flat with tail winds. Light throttle only in 5th and back to 4th if more than small throttle needed.

On our Canberra trip it was about 20-21 as there are more hills I guess.

We may be lucky too, some engines are just a little better than there "brothers".

Ours is manual too - not sure if that makes a difference? Pathetic clutch on Prado (Quote from Toyota Dealer) so we had to replace it with a heavy duty clutch too.