Which tow vehicle

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyI6wXXCajEnXLmGYoTj67yXgvF2AtRHBYdLisVLX4GAz_dllJpg.jpg LEGENDARY..............................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I gave Jeep a fair go to build a Commercial vehicle like a dual cab they had over 10 yrs, I asked them but No, so sadly I had to change, though I did see a nice J10 last year which was enticing but that old V8 would send me broke.
Besides I now have a Thailand built Holden of Jap design with an Italian motor and yank gearbox very similar to Jeep, mostly Yank design built in Austria with an Italian engine with parts from all over......................but then it's all in the badge..................................besides I really am a Landrover Defender man but got priced out of contention years ago and Jeep ruined my rustic roots.

Sideways !!!!! sideways ???? bold steps forward I thought .......................................

Reactions: AzHaych

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
That must be true Pete, else the Navara would be rated at 4.5t ;)

I was actually thinking about the Patrol when I commented about the structure........cause I'm sick of getting stuck behind them on the road (especially going uphill) when I'm towing. If ya can't do a hundred, then move over..........or at least have the courtesy to not speed up on the long bits.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They all seem to have that banana problem, I think poor suspension upgrade or none then using air bags to take the weight and do the job of springs instead of an extra shockie, plus maybe slightly overloaded ???? Or just don't be rude design all round ?????

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
They all seem to have that banana problem, I think poor suspension upgrade or none then using air bags to take the weight and do the job of springs instead of an extra shockie, plus maybe slightly overloaded ???? Or just **** design all round ?????
..... or ..... but for the grace of god go I. Fingers crossed

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was actually thinking about the Patrol when I commented about the structure........cause I'm sick of getting stuck behind them on the road (especially going uphill) when I'm towing. If ya can't do a hundred, then move over..........or at least have the courtesy to not speed up on the long bits.
Im hearing you on that speeding up BS on the split sections ..... I use cruise control, and those knuckleheads just can't help themselves, drives me nuts.

Reactions: DRW

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
No amount of extra springs, airbags or shocks will stop the chassis from breaking when overloaded. They take the load from the chassis down to the wheels.

If want a true gvm up grade on a vehicle you generally need to stiffen the chassis as well and sometimes the axle.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
It's not just the static loading that matters. From some reports all was well until some people hit pot holes, jump ups etc then also what they were towing all combined to be the proverbial last straw for the failure.

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

Im hearing you on that speeding up BS on the split sections ..... I use cruise control, and those knuckleheads just can't help themselves, drives me nuts.

I resemble these remarks

my theory is -
if your behind me - tough
if you dont like me being in front of you - pull over and have a cuppa and a chill pill
if you want to pass me - go for it - legally

just dont pass me just because I'm doing 80-90 up a hill, then slow down to the same speed once your in front

mind you, I dont usually have a problem, as soon as I get to the top of most hills, I'm back up at the 100 pretty quickly

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I resemble these remarks

my theory is -
if your behind me - tough
if you dont like me being in front of you - pull over and have a cuppa and a chill pill
if you want to pass me - go for it - legally

just dont pass me just because I'm doing 80-90 up a hill, then slow down to the same speed once your in front

mind you, I dont usually have a problem, as soon as I get to the top of most hills, I'm back up at the 100 pretty quickly
Hey @bigcol, can you take me out of the "quote" above ...... it was @peterg that mentioned the most sacred of vehicles ... the Patrol, not me.
I was taking about the others :)

Reactions: dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@bigcol @Crusty181 a cow is also sacred to some religions but it doesn't make it any better looking or faster!

I had a short wheel base mq in 1990. The best thing about it was the heater.

Overtaking road trains back then required the ability the see into the future by about 2 days to pass safely. Watching a current deisel beast with van on 2 months ago try it, had me reaching for the sat phone to call 000. So I don't think much has changed (unless you have the V8).

Reactions: dagree and AzHaych