Which tow vehicle

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks guys.

After discussions the wife is now interested in a BT50 or the wildtrack

They seem be ok and relegate is towing his starcraft which is the same as mine with a BT 50.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Really, I'm sure most of it comes down to $$ really.

your right @Smergen I would love a new Y62 - stuff the fuel bill
(apparently they are thirsty - so my Landcruiser mates tell me)
(apparently they are quite frugal with their usage - so my mates who own Y62's tell me)

mind you, @Drover was on a winner - a Dodge Durango with a Cummin's V8

yeeeeehaaaaaa

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks guys.

After discussions the wife is now interested in a BT50 or the wildtrack

They seem be ok and relegate is towing his starcraft which is the same as mine with a BT 50.

Plenty here have them Phil and seem to find them well up to the task.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
looked at the 70 series but the wife does not like them. Too agricultural
I cant afford a new wildtrack and then buy all the extras I want so I will be looking at a second hand BT 50 or Wildtrack with some fruit already on it. I can then add if necessary.
The 100 series diesel is off the list as the cost of one is similar to a newish BT or Wildtrack.
Plus from what I have read they use less fuel and tow reasonably well.
Anything must be better than my thirsty petrol crusiser.

Phil

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I always like to get a vehicle with around 50K on the clock, still has that new look, usually has some extras added, bugs all fixed and heaps cheaper.

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Ok checked out the new ranger today.
It is very nice. So much better than the previous model.
It would be my pick if I was to get a dual cab.
More food for thought
My van has an ATM of 2994kg, would you guys consider using a tug which had a 3ton towing capacity. It would be legal but I don't know if I would feel comfortable being so close to the limit. A pajero or prado are what I am thinking of.

Thanks

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Always go for the biggest, if your van is plated at 3 ton (won't quibble about 6 kg ) then you can rest assured when your packed up and going away you'll be close or over that mark especially if the builders tare weight is wrong....:o............I would be looking at 3500kg tow cap minimum. I don't want to get into the weights debate again. Your tare is empty van, thats no gas, no water, no nothing which doesn't leave you a lot after you've added gas, water and tucker, not to mention the big box, 4 pushies etc.................you can be anal and do the weigh bridge thing every trip but that would mean not only checking that your van complied to it's plated info but your tug does also, many would get a shock if they put their loaded tug on the scales, 750kg carrying cap soon gets eaten up with bodies and all the junk you throw in the back.....................

So go for a 3500kg tow cap, if you go a dual cab, get a tray back just so much easier to load and get at your stuff, canopy cheaper than tub jobs.

Have a good look at the compliance plate............it's probably wrong.
Also highway pattern tyres on your van will do a better job, less problems and last longer than some macho off road tyre which will chop out more than likely, no need for fancy 4x4 rubber, it's a lazy axle, it doesn't work just looks cool.

Reactions: bigcol

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
You are right drover.
I think I shall stick with a 3.5 ton tug.
Might have to wait and save up a bit more to get what I want.
After a lot of running around today test driving a lot of 4wds I think I will wait
The old petrol cruiser will have to do for now.
She is just a bit thirsty.

Thanks guys

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My vans ATM is 2999kg and my cars tow capacity is 3000kg .... but when you consider all the twin cabs regardless of the so called tow capacity being 3t v 3.5t, the GCM on all of them is a max 6000kg anyway, the 3t v 3.5t is all semantics and very misleading.
By the time you load car with ball weight, fuel, the family and some gear, you shouldnt be towing more than 3t anyway

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've just spent months kicking tyres, wanted a BT50 or a Ranger and ended up with a Colorado which originally was 4th or 5th on the list, it ended up ticking the boxes.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
My vans ATM is 2999kg and my cars tow capacity is 3000kg .... but when you consider all the twin cabs regardless of the so called tow capacity being 3t v 3.5t, the GCM on all of them is a max 6000kg anyway, the 3t v 3.5t is all semantics and very misleading.
By the time you load car with ball weight, fuel, the family and some gear, you shouldnt be towing more than 3t anyway
Those diesel heaters and coffee machines will tip you over the limit