Which tow vehicle

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Colorado has 8 air bags enough to scare the daylights out of you if you get hit.
For all you guys that think the Colorado may be a quality vehicle, I have a little Holden story. Im not suggesting that the Colorado is a Commodore, but certainly same stable ...... anyway pull up a seat and let Crusty impart some wisdom.

Back in 2009 I was heading into the city in the a new (at the time) Commodore one balmy midweek afternoon and on the way met a nice gentleman, a wine merchant no less, at a busy city intersection. All was good with the meeting, except for one aspect ..... he ran a red light, I was travelling at the reported 80+ and accelerating at the time probably to the catch the last of the green. I "T" boned Chardonnay Sam dead centre mid ship, in the middle of the St Kilda Junction, spraying carnage across the intersection and even destroying a tram stop. For those of you that know it, St Kilda Junction is about 6km out of the CBD and is one of Melbourne biggest and busiest intersections.

I have only scant recollection of bits and pieces before and after the crash, I ended up in what was left of the tram stop, with no clue who I was. I was fixated with a smell in the air whilst the MICA Ambos were strapping me to the gurney, trussed up like a Sunday roast with the spinal board and big plastic necklace. I couldn't have cared less at the time about anything, except the sweet smell that I couldn't identify. Although I did find the annoying 10ft high Ambo with so many questions, had amazingly large feet; maybe 2 ft long as I recalled. I squared that away, because I suspected at 10ft high he needed big feet to stay upright (he was still very annoying)

Just before I was wheeled into the MICA it dawned on me what that sweet smell was .... it was that horrible smell of spilled booze, the smell a booze soaked carpet in pubs. Oh my lord, I panicked ...... I must have been pi$$ed, and Ive killed someone. Turned out it was wine from the broken bottles in the wine merchants car, I wasnt pi$$ed and he ran the red light. He only had minor injuries, and I had both shoulder reco'ed over the next few years.

Now to that part of the story directly related to all you guys that think Holden's are good cars. Look away now if you want to live in the uninformed belief they are.

I was contacted sometime after the accident by a Monash University professor, and requested to partake in a interview and release my medical records regarding the accident. Weird'ed out, and extremely skeptical it was explained to me that Holden have run a continuous independent program ran by a University Professor that examines major collisions that involve a Holden. Armed with accident reports, witness accounts, photos and my medical reports and physically examination the car, they then compile a detailed report which is sent to Holden HQ. Apparently Holden is one of the few vehicle manufacturers that have continuously done this research. I asked why that isnt common knowledge, why dont they advertise this program. The Professor replied, that's not why they do it. Holden have always done it and done it for the single minded reason to improve the safety of their cars, not to "gloat" so to speak.

I had little recollection of the accident myself, and got precious little explanation other than the other guy ran the red light. I had the name of a witness on some paperwork so I managed to contact her about a year after the accident. She started crying when I told her who I was. The accident was so bad she'd suffered post traumatic stress, lost her job ... she assumed Id died.

The upshot of the story was summed up in one short conversation with the Professor after he completed his file on my accident. Holden use the data they accumulate from the independent advise they receive from the University professor, obviously with other stuff they do. He added that his and others before him had provided vital data which Holden has used to continually develop the safety of their cars. If not for that research and development, and if that accident had occurred only a few short years before, there would have been little doubt Id be dead. Rams it home a bit

So ........... the moral of the story is Holden's are safe cars, but if you don't plan on crashing buy a Navara :D

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
after reading all this maybe I should trade in my cars and get a couple of Clydesdales and a nice wagon for the family to sit in a dog and a whip oh I need the old hat too the horses can pull the van too just take my time but need 6 months off just to get to the Murray and if horses arnt good enough will get bullock's