Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Totally agree with all your points. I guess the only point that I had against that was that I am trying to minimise the amount of stuff that I have to set up and move around in the van or in the front box when I finally get there. I am still heavily leaning to the portable as well for the fact that I can use them with the old 4by when I take the boys out for a camp.

To many options are a good and a bad thing :)

To true @andrew nelson, one thing I have learnt since buying a soft floor then upgrading to the Expanda is whilst the set up is quicker, depending on wether we are free camping or powered we still seem to lug around the same amount of gear:o but it does fit better into the Expanda than the old C/T.

Seriously mate if you can fit them in (I carry mine in the tug) portables are the way to go, as you have said they can be used elsewhere as well.

Oh yeah and having to many options

Last edited:
Why do you want to mount them on the roof if you don't need too? a good set of portable panels will out do a set of mounted panels all the time.

• Mounted panels are flat on the roof not optimum for solar panels that need to be near 30deg to work at their best
  • You can move the portables to follow the sun as and they are already near 30 deg
  • You can put the van in the shade the portables can be out in the sun with the use of extensions leads with Anderson plugs. You will get a voltage drop but if you use heavier cable for the extensions all is ok. I have 2 X 5m extensions all plug and play 6mmsq, the voltage drop over this length is around 1v but I rarely need to use 10m length it is there just encase, 5m normally does the job
  • Even with a 1v drop you should still get 13v or more from a good set of portable panels, which will keep you going but after a few days you would need to move so as you can get the full potential out of your system.
Hi Axl

Storage.

I'm currently assembling off-road caravans for an Australian Builder.

We use 3 X 100 Watt flex solar Pannels stickaflexed to the roof, in conjunction with 3x 100amp hour batteries.

We use a 150 liter Dometic Fridge dedicated to 12V. To my knowledge all works well.

This would be my preferred option if I could afford it. Why? Storage and no set up.

Portable Pannels are fantastic, if I had storage and no kids to to adsorb my time

I guess it comes down to preferred option

Reactions: bigcol

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
What are everyones thoughts on drilling a pilot hole straight up through the roof next to these existing cables that already do that, then enlarging it and running some 8b&s wire (might be overkill but i have a heap lying round and we leave enough capacity to add more panels later if need be) through the roof and into a cable gland? Think its done this way normally by jayco anyway?
Then will run it through the top cupboards, beside fridge and down to sollar reg im fitting near battery. 20160112_125527.jpeg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It looks like the way Jayco did ours....cable from roof in about same spot and then via top cupboards to regulator on wardrobe side wall ...ours is 16.49.3 so wardrobe position will be different.

They used a white grommet where the cable comes from the roof.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
What are everyones thoughts on drilling a pilot hole straight up through the roof next to these existing cables that already do that, then enlarging it and running some 8b&s wire (might be overkill but i have a heap lying round and we leave enough capacity to add more panels later if need be) through the roof and into a cable gland? Think its done this way normally by jayco anyway?
Then will run it through the top cupboards, beside fridge and down to sollar reg im fitting near battery.View attachment 38172
That's how I did it in my 2005 expanda it worked fine

Reactions: spiderpig

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Forgot to mention.....

Where are you mounting the controller? You mentioned near the battery but it's better if you can see it easily.

Depends on the controller...if you haven't bought it yet I'd go for a MPPT with ability to show lots of info...amps, volts etc. From memory, Projecta make a good one but I'm sure there are many more good ones on the market since I last checked them out.

If it's in low next/ near battery you won't see it. Close ....up to a metre or so...seems to be ok in our case and let's us monitor solar easily.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Why do you want to mount them on the roof if you don't need too? a good set of portable panels will out do a set of mounted panels all the time.

• Mounted panels are flat on the roof not optimum for solar panels that need to be near 30deg to work at their best
  • No, for panels to work there best they need to be facing directly at the sun. Midday during summer this will be flat on your roof.
  • [*]You can move the portables to follow the sun as and they are already near 30 deg
    [*]
  • If you want to sit around all day just to move your panels and make sure no one walks off with them...not really much of a holiday then.
    [*]You can put the van in the shade the portables can be out in the sun with the use of extensions leads with Anderson plugs.
    [*]
  • Put enough panels on your roof and you will always be in the shade :)
    [*]Even with a 1v drop you should still get 13v or more from a good set of portable panels, which will keep you going but after a few days you would need to move so as you can get the full potential out of your system.
  • You need a voltage difference between the batteries and your reg for the power to flow, the bigger the difference the faster they will charge. Different types of batteries need different charge voltages(eg agm need 14.6v). You need to buy a reg that suits your type of batteries and then place that reg as close to your batteries as possible. To get around the above problem you really need a adjustable solar reg and set the voltage a bit higher, you can also buy theses of ebay.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
As an addendum.

We had always used portable panels for many of the above reasons...parked in shade, wanted max input, wanted to get best angle, liked to control etc etc

That was over 18 months ago with the Swan and previous campers for over 8 years while we learned about portable solar and such.

When we ordered the Expanda we said.......stuff it...get one on roof and take portable if we need it. Portable now keeps power ticking over while van is in shed and roof panel keeps us happy when off grid.

So far, no need to carry or use portables, no stuffing around with portables and no worries with input.

All fine and dandy. I think we were being too precious for far too many years.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
My recent experience spending a week with rain and overcast conditions.

My van has 2 X 120w panels on the roof and 2 X 100AH house batteries.

Our camping companions have a folding 80w panel, and I loaned them another 96w set of flexible panels to boost with a single 100AH battery.

With the constant rain and overcast conditions, it was not an ideal scenario for solar.

My companions spend a lot of time constantly moving the fold up panel to try and catch any sun that was available.

After 3 days they were on need of a generator to charge the batteries.

By comparison, I managed the whole week without needing any supplementary charge.

So to keep up with the load of lighting, TV, phone charging etc. you need enough watts of solar and enough battery storage to hold the power when you can get it.

Difficult to carry enough portable panels to get lots of charging power.

The rooftop panels are more work to install initially, but once you do, they are set and forget.

No need to constantly move them around, no concerns about some low like knocking them off.

For a caravan with such an ideal mounting surface such as a roof, it seems nonsensical not to throw panels up there.

Different story for soft campers and tents.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com

• You can move the portables to follow the sun as and they are already near 30 deg
  • You can put the van in the shade the portables can be out in the sun with the use of extensions leads with Anderson plugs. You will get a voltage drop but if you use heavier cable for the extensions all is ok. I have 2 X 5m extensions all plug and play 6mmsq, the voltage drop over this length is around 1v but I rarely need to use 10m length it is there just encase, 5m normally does the job
  • Even with a 1v drop you should still get 13v or more from a good set of portable panels, which will keep you going but after a few days you would need to move so as you can get the full potential out of your system.

Portable panels seem to fly off the roof when im driving down the hwy :biggrin-new:

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
G'day all, have had a read thru the thread, and whilst I have found some great info, im still a little unsure if my theory will work to 100%.....so I though I might put it back to the gang to see what the general consensus is for using an additional portable solar panel with a separate reg run to the batts via an Anderson plug from the draw bar of your van...

I should have started by saying that my van has a roof mounted solar panel running thru the solar reg in the van charging the batt.....now what have others done or are still doing regarding adding portable panels with a separate reg....????

Do many of you do this, and have you found any problems....do you see any confusion/fighting between the 2 separate regs when running the portable panel....there is some discussion that this method isn't the best way, and then others do it and report no problems....

Thoughts please....

Thanks for any info...

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ours is the same set up.

Fixed 150 panel on roof....to jayco setup regulator. While not the greatest regulator we've used it does the job and keeps our one 110 a battery ticking over well.

Before we picked up the van we had Anderson plug added to draw bar, wired directly to battery. Our portable panel, which we thought we'd need to supplement the fixed panel on the roof, is able to be connected, via a separate controller, to the Anderson plug but is really superfluous. We've carried it but never had to use it while away so it now sits on the draw bar in all weather and keeps the battery charged while the van is in the shed.

The Anderson plug is also used to power our motorised jockey wheel thingy and can be used for other power needs such as compressor and 12 v drill ( if I ever get it sorted out).

So...we thought we'd need more solar...we don't.

We thought we'd need to supplement roof solar....we don't.

We thought rainy weather and winter would challenge the fixed solar...it doesn't.

We do a lot of unpowered camping .....probably about 80 percent of time away...and that allows us to use all lights, pump, tv and keep all our toys charged....so we're happy with the set up.

Have contemplated changing the basic standard controller with something better but can't see the point. It works fine so if it ain't broken I ain't fixing it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'll just sit on the side here, the new rig has 120 on the roof and I may hook a portable 120 up if needed but have to have a good look at the set properly when I get it but not right away, maybe while I'm lazing at Elliot Heads or somewhere.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Forgot to add....portable panel has a blocking diode so there's no conflict with fixed panel.

When we tested it the fixed panel provides the solar input in preference to the portable panel....but if the fixed panel is in the shade, then the portable panel takes over....but it must have a separate controller and a blocking diode. Most come with diodes now.

Ted&Na

Nov 3, 2015
Cameron Park
Hey guys looking at buying a solar panel for our 2 x 105ah batteries. I was looking at a portable 240W panel on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MaxRay-N...495201?hash=item1c330bcb21:g:96wAAOSwUV9WnJL4

But the picture only has a 10A MPPT controller with it, I'm thinking I would need atleast a 30A controller with this, has anyone had any experience with buying panels off ebay and are the photos only generic and they give you an appropriate controller or is it just a basic 10A one?

Or have people bought the panels from Ebay and put a better controller on after?

Any help is appreciated :)

I specifically targeted this one because they have another 20% through Ebay at the moment till 8th Feb.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've bought panels, mainly from bit deals, dumped the controller and fitted our own 30 amp controller. The ones they come with are usually rubbish. So possibly better to buy panels and controller separately.

Still going 9 years later though a bit the worse for wear.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
A couple of questions please. Why do you need a 30 amp controller? My free standing 50 watt panel puts out about 3.5 amps in full sun. Sometimes a little more. Triple it and 10.5.
The other question is I want to wire a separate portable panel into the Starcraft. Is it safe to wire the extra panel into the existing Jayco regulator or do I need to install a separate regulator?