Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
It also depends on how much power you draw.

If you are running an inverter a lot you may need the extra solar and storage capacity.

We went away with another couple at Christmas. They have 1x100AH and 160watts of solar.

It was rainy and overcast most of the time, and he runs a CPAP machine all night from an inverter.

After 4 days he was in need of a generator to charge his batteries.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thought I would add a quick one here and check if I have my thinking right.

The new van will have the bog standard 100aH battery, and 120V panel on the roof. I'm wondering if that will be enough, but will also be running, on advice from New Age an Anderson plug from the tug to van to battery to keep it topped up. Was thinking that if off grid somewhere for a while, that I could simply plug in a portable panel into the anderson plug at the front rather than install another on the roof.

Is my thinking right?

Current Jayco has 2 panels on the roof and I've only seen our battery less than half once and we had to park in the middle of a volcano in the shade 75% of the day to do that. Not massive power users but the Big Lap might see us put more use through the battery (or inverter if we install one)

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

The new van will have the bog standard 100aH battery, and 120V panel on the roof. I'm wondering if that will be enough, but will also be running, on advice from New Age an Anderson plug from the tug to van to battery to keep it topped up. Was thinking that if off grid somewhere for a while, that I could simply plug in a portable panel into the anderson plug at the front rather than install another on the roof.

Is my thinking right?

Current Jayco has 2 panels on the roof and I've only seen our battery less than half once and we had to park in the middle of a volcano in the shade 75% of the day to do that. Not massive power users but the Big Lap might see us put more use through the battery (or inverter if we install one)

Provided your portable panel has its own controller, then yes plugging your panel into the Anderson will supplement the 120 on the roof.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I forgot to add that we had the Anderson plug put on the draw bar for charging from the extra panel. I think that's worth doing as it gives you options if needed. (We now use ours for compressor...rarely)

Direct to battery with its own separate controller and blocking diode.

Jayco 12pin plug for keeping charge to fridge while chugging.

So yes....add a portable if needed via Anderson plug.

I think you might need more power if you add an inverter. We had one in our old Swan and rarely used it but I'd give lots of thought to what you'd use it for. Some use it for coffee machines, some for CPAP machines and just about every other item can be powered by 12v.

Me...I'd be inclined to spend the extra money on good 12v fans, use the gas stove for toast and kettle, and keep it simple and lighter.

Unless your fridge is not gas! That would change things.

Last edited:

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
My 2012 Discovery poptop has the stock standard 100amp battery and 120w panel on the roof. The van is also stock standard as far as electrical usage is concerned, LED lights, Pump, Fridge, Stove, Hot Water. We went from Gippsland Victoria to Cooktown and back over about 2 months and never looked like running out of power. Weather was changing over entire trip so sunny and wet.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
End of experiment!

Duration.....19 days......18 in total unpowered by 240v. (First day was stinking hot and fridge had played up before departure)

Home now and battery on 14.4 after charging while chugging home in intermittent rain.

All toys fully charged via 12v in vehicle and kept fully charged in van during the day.

Spare panel not used at all.

Also, have a list of items not needed in future for this type of camping and will be ditched...

Gas....one bottle still showing 1/4 full after keeping fridge and Weber going for entire time.

Water...more than enough for time...tanks now about half full. Water supply topped up via rain water collected from awning and held in 20 litre containers

Happy camper!

On the downside, van is filthy, sandy and the fishing was lousy!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @Dobbie and @Bellbirdweb. We haven't brought along the coffee machine on any trips just yet, but 6 months on the road might change that. Might depend on storage/weight. Either way, was just thinking more along the lines of charging everything and keeping everything running. At any rate, the battery wouldn't run any aircon so I think it might be a weigh up of portable solar (which I like as it can come along on "truck only" runs) vs generator vs extra battery.

Thanks for the input, at least I know if I run the Anderson Plug to the battery out onto the A-Frame I've got options.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi Smergen.

We do carry the coffee machine as we use it a lot if on power.....so, to us, that's a necessity. We just reduce our coffee intake a bit if free camping but have been experimenting a bit with mixing different blends of instant to get closer to the espresso taste. So far, a mix of about 2/3 Nescafé strong with 1/3 of moccona granules is quite acceptable.

I've checked out some 12v coffee makers and some which just use boiling water filtered via pods. They seem very expensive for the result so we figured it doesn't hurt to reduce our coffee intake at times.

On reflection, I think our experiment worked well because we kept all battery stuff fully charged all the time. If the charge went down from use the item was put on charge as soon as possible. We've learned the hard way it takes a hell of a lot longer and seems to need more power if the battery is very low to start with.

We also carry our Scotch supply in 5litre plastic containers.....saves breakages and heartache.

We quite enjoyed the experiment but are not relishing the cleanup.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014

Is my thinking right?

Just a thought.

Do you have the option to increase panel capacity? We noticed a real difference in efficiency of higher capacity panel with little effect on weight and money.

It could be the newer panels are more efficient than our old ones....probably 10 years old....but I don't miss the fluffing around with moving them, angling them, lifting them, securing them and finding somewhere safe to stow them.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I forgot to add that we had the Anderson plug put on the draw bar for charging from the extra panel. I think that's worth doing as it gives you options if needed. (We now use ours for compressor...rarely)

Direct to battery with its own separate controller and blocking diode.

Jayco 12pin plug for charging while chugging.

So yes....add a portable if needed via Anderson plug.

I think you might need more power if you add an inverter. We had one in our old Swan and rarely used it but I'd give lots of thought to what you'd use it for. Some use it for coffee machines, some for CPAP machines and just about every other item can be powered by 12v.

Me...I'd be inclined to spend the extra money on good 12v fans, use the gas stove for toast and kettle, and keep it simple and lighter.

Unless your fridge is not gas! That would change things.

Keep in mind that the later OB models charge the battery from the solar panel when driving.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Just a thought.

Do you have the option to increase panel capacity? We noticed a real difference in efficiency of higher capacity panel with little effect on weight and money.

I'll certainly look into it. Sounds like a bit of an easy win. Thanks for the tip.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
240v = Coffee machine, 12v = Plunger coffee , instant coffee = desperation broken down with only hexy tab cooker and tin mug.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
240v = Coffee machine, 12v = Plunger coffee , instant coffee = desperation broken down with only hexy tab cooker and tin mug.

Yep....we have been guilty of sneaking into somewhere with power...amenities block....with coffee machine and cups....and sneaking back to van with a smile.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Keep in mind that the later OB models charge the battery from the solar panel when driving.

I always thought that a fixed panel would charge anytime except when you shut it down ?? Did they have a cut out when hooked up to the tug or something ?????

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
My understanding is that if there's sun on the panel, it will charge so whether van is moving or not, solar will charge.

The plug to the vehicle only keeps the fridge ticking over though I'm sure we had the battery charging from that on a camper trailer years ago. I know ours doesn't do that now because of the solar.

The blocking diode in a portable panel stops the charge equaling with the fixed panel...or it would be a waste of time.

At least, that's what I understood....but I'm no expert.

See....we can stick to a topic!!! But the strain is killing me.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi Smergen.

We do carry the coffee machine as we use it a lot if on power.....so, to us, that's a necessity. We just reduce our coffee intake a bit if free camping but have been experimenting a bit with mixing different blends of instant to get closer to the espresso taste. So far, a mix of about 2/3 Nescafé strong with 1/3 of moccona granules is quite acceptable.

I've checked out some 12v coffee makers and some which just use boiling water filtered via pods. They seem very expensive for the result so we figured it doesn't hurt to reduce our coffee intake at times.

We took our coffee & frother machines on a 3 month round au trip and used an inverter for it all the way. Can't stand the instant stuff!.

Have 200amp of batteries with 320w of solar and a 3500 inverter.
Glen

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I agree that instant coffee is to be avoided but we were looking at whether more battery power, more solar and an inverter is necessary for a new van.

If you were just doing the normal 12v stuff AND wanted to run the coffee machine off grid what do you think you'd need in battery power, solar and inverter size?

I suspect the cost of an extra battery, extra 200 w of solar and an inverter would buy a hell of a lot of coffee.

Sorry, but I'm trying to stick to the topic....and it's difficult.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We have a stainless steel coffee plunger which means we can choose our own coffee and how strong we make it. We have a milk frother which runs from our inverter for only a couple of minutes so really no power used. That is our evening coffee, otherwise it is just the plunge coffee, black for me and a touch of milk for Mrs CR. :tea:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you use milk then it's not coffee people, frothy coffee, isn't.......................................back to topic !!!!!!!!!!!!!..........If you need the power for the machines, then adding an inverter, battery and another panel is more than a genny which is a must backup,

Soon will be able to see if I really need any extra panels, I think not as we travel around over winter most of my gear is 12v or gas..

So don't come back about the coffee dudes, you will be Off Topic.........nah, nah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dobbie