Solar The Solar Panel Thread

NW-Based

Jul 13, 2015
Exmouth WA
Here is an ebay deal I have found as I have been considering getting a solar set up lately. I'm not sure if I will go for a folding panel yet as I might want to mount it on the roof of the Expanda at a later date.
(no affliation just thought I'd share ;))

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-120W.../130669029765?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item1e6c7b2985
I have both, 2x150's on the roof and a 120 folding just to top it up up if needed. That way, 2 get the available sunlight and I only have to move 1 folding panel if it's even set up.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
I have got my panels sitting the to fit like above two 150 panels two batteries and the std reg may swap it over later for mmpt reg but not running much as I have the thetford fridge in mine so just really lights and the tv every now and then for the kinds at night

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Quick Question - If i buy a folding portable Solar panel with a MMPT regulator, does this mean that i can get system that might exceed the 14.8V without overcharging the battery because the MMPT will convert the voltage down + increase amps????
Is that how it works - sorry not very Electric/Solar savy.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Quick Question - If i buy a folding portable Solar panel with a MMPT regulator, does this mean that i can get system that might exceed the 14.8V without overcharging the battery because the MMPT will convert the voltage down + increase amps????
Is that how it works - sorry not very Electric/Solar savy.

No you should only get the normal ~14.4 from a MPPT regulator but it "May" increase the amps (cheap ones may actually reduce the amps)
the ones on a portable panel usually don't do anything different from a PWM contolller

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
adding to @NoWorries ......................so long as you have a regulator/controller which it's running thru it should ensure that it doesn't cook the battery...................though it must be hooked up direct to battery don't feed it thru the Setec they don't like it.
I can plug mine into the van battery via an anderson plug which is wired direct to the battery, don't use the clamps they usually come with, too easy to cause a short.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We were free camping last eeek in the Flinders Ranges (just thought id rub that in), in full sun light. The solar regulator was reading 18v or so, and 14.4v to the battery, and generating 7amp.

There was nothing 12v turned on in the van but the Drifter was reading battery half charged, discharging at around 6amps. Even turning off the battery switch resulted in no change to amy of the Drifter figures.... still discharging at 6 amp

Connected the generator, still no change.

I disconnected the solar panel, the Drifter settled back to minimal discharg at under 1amp. Reconnected the solar panel and the original 6amp discharge problem returned.

Short story is connecting the solar panel had the Drifter registering a 6amp draw, yet the voltage across the regulator had 14.4v and 7 amp going direct to the battery.

Any clues

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We were free camping last eeek in the Flinders Ranges (just thought id rub that in), in full sun light. The solar regulator was reading 18v or so, and 14.4v to the battery, and generating 7amp.

There was nothing 12v turned on in the van but the Drifter was reading battery half charged, discharging at around 6amps. Even turning off the battery switch resulted in no change to amy of the Drifter figures.... still discharging at 6 amp

Connected the generator, still no change.

I disconnected the solar panel, the Drifter settled back to minimal discharg at under 1amp. Reconnected the solar panel and the original 6amp discharge problem returned.

Short story is connecting the solar panel had the Drifter registering a 6amp draw, yet the voltage across the regulator had 14.4v and 7 amp going direct to the battery.

Any clues

@Crusty181 does the connection from your solar controller go directly to the battery ?

I'm wondering if the Drifter shunt is seeing the current from the solar ???

Long bow, but it does sound strange.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 does the connection from your solar controller go directly to the battery ?

I'm wondering if the Drifter shunt is seeing the current from the solar ???

Long bow, but it does sound strange.
Yeah, its connected directly. It is wierd because the solar is stand alone connected directly, and from the outputs the solar appears to be functioning correctly. I can only assume the Drifter doesnt like it

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Yeah, its connected directly. It is wierd because the solar is stand alone connected directly, and from the outputs the solar appears to be functioning correctly. I can only assume the Drifter doesnt like it

Mine is connected exactly the same way, and have never noticed any issues on the drifter.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Crusty just check the drifter shunt has not been wired back to front by Jayco like mine was!! Happened to someone else I know of as well Cheers.
Thanks @jbell6660. Ive looked at the shunt countless times, but cant remember there being anything obvious re direction. What indicates direction (before i dismantle the couch) For whats its worth Drifter seems to be displaying correctly when connected to 240v

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Thanks @jbell6660. Ive looked at the shunt countless times, but cant remember there being anything obvious re direction. What indicates direction (before i dismantle the couch) For whats its worth Drifter seems to be displaying correctly when connected to 240v

See photo. Make sure the yellow wire is on the battery side of shunt. Also refer to diagram in drifter manual. Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 245
Hi all, I'm sure my question will have been answered some where in the forum, but haven't as yet found it. Our van is about 14 months old and I have always had a suspicion that the Solar system wasn't working as it should. I have 2 X 120W ( think that's what was supplied) running through the standard Jayco set up. I'm in full sun, directly above my panels and the are only putting out 11.95 V. Battery is at 12.0V. What outputs should I be getting and where should I start looking? Something here isn't right. Days gone by I would say a diode has failed, but on both panels ? Any help would be great fully received

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi all, I'm sure my question will have been answered some where in the forum, but haven't as yet found it. Our van is about 14 months old and I have always had a suspicion that the Solar system wasn't working as it should. I have 2 X 120W ( think that's what was supplied) running through the standard Jayco set up. I'm in full sun, directly above my panels and the are only putting out 11.95 V. Battery is at 12.0V. What outputs should I be getting and where should I start looking? Something here isn't right. Days gone by I would say a diode has failed, but on both panels ? Any help would be great fully received

I have exactly the same setup as you. When in full sun, the volt meter on the solar controller usually shows around 14.7v max

Depending on the state of the batteries, the current draw can show anything form 0-12A (that I have seen so far).

If you are only outputting 11.95v in full sun, something is wrong somewhere, more than likely the controller, as it should be at that 14 odd volts level

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com

Sounds like a panel or controller failure
Get a multi meter out and disconnect the panels from the controller and measure the Open circuit voltage
It should be around 20v give or take a couple if it is then probably your controller is stuffed.
if it is not up there then you may need to measure each panel as if one of them is totally stuffed it wil draw power from the good one and therefore dropping the total output of the two.

If you are in need of a hand checking this I can pop over as i'm in Duncraig but it will need to be today as we are heading to Esperance tomorrow

Sounds like a panel or controller failure
Get a multi meter out and disconnect the panels from the controller and measure the Open circuit voltage
It should be around 20v give or take a couple if it is then probably your controller is stuffed.
if it is not up there then you may need to measure each panel as if one of them is totally stuffed it wil draw power from the good one and therefore dropping the total output of the two.

If you are in need of a hand checking this I can pop over as i'm in Duncraig but it will need to be today as we are heading to Esperance tomorrow

Thanks so much for the offer to drop over and for the reply. Have been out of range since I posted, as camping down near Greenbushes in the South. Now in cold Albany.

I will try as you suggest in testing the Solar panel voltage when disconnected from the controller.

What I have discovered since last posting, is that at night, when plugged into mains power , is that the battery's charger is back feeding to the panels through the controller.

Silently hoping that Jayco will help out in any repair costs, the van is only 14 months old and the problem has been there from handover. I just never twigged.

Could in also be the battery is stuffed?

Need sunlight to do more tests lol

Thanks once again