smirke's cruiser

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Couple of questions to try help diagnose the issue @Smirke ...
1) Do the brakes feel like they are still grabbing when cold?
2) Did you get the wheel bearings serviced before leaving?
3) Did you get the brakes serviced/checked before leaving?

First things that came to mind was a possible tight bearing or sticking brake magnets?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also try dragging the van a bit with brakes disconnected electronically and see if it still does it! If not that "MIGHT" rule out an electrical fault!

Without being there makes it hard to give a definitive answer but hope it's nothing major!

Reactions: Bluey and Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
very quick way to check
get your jack, lift up the wheel in question untill its off the ground

grab top and bottom (12 & 6 o'clock) give it a wobble
grab the sides (9 & 3 o'clock) give it a wobble

ANY movement (any at all) and you have a loose wheel bearing -

as @dagree said, any work on the front end (apart from tyres??????????)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Definitely the vans wheel, it's the creaking sound you get when you go slow with breaks on.
Van was just serviced before we left. They did the bearings, not sure about brakes

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Does it do it when cold?
If not more than likely a loose or tight bearing. Once hot there is a good chance brakes will expand giving the feeling they are grabbing.

As @bigcol said jack the relevant wheel up and check for play or tighness!

Reactions: Delano

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Just trying to jack it now. Can't get the front wheel off the ground. Got the back one off and it rotates happily, no movement

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
either that, or

get your wheel ramp, put it under the rear wheel, and see if you can move the van backwards onto the ramp enough to get the front wheel off the ground

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hey @Smirke I know its not the ideal time to be dealing with this, but

if the wheel bearing is loose (and over heating) you have 2 choices

1) take the wheel off completely until you get to a mechanic (wrap the end of the Axle in a plastic bag taped up securely)
if you take the wheel off, jack the Axel as high as it will go, and use a strap to tie it up to the chassis

or

clean up and re-pack the bearing............. as long as the bearing is not shot completely

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Watching and waiting with fingers crossed................hoping just a dragging brake shoe. Might be an idea to get a bottle jack to put under the stub axle to lift wheel, the scissor jack under the chassis is dangerous I think.

Reactions: dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
No noise when cold, both plugged and unplugged. We have the independent suspension. Will try broome as there's more places to get it looked at , just nowhere to stay

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good luck with the problem....I'm useless with that sort of issue so of no help.

Re Broome, I did hear they've opened an overflow area ....Showgrounds? So I'd imagine the local visitor's centre would be able to help. Might be worth giving them a call?

Life's not boring is it?

Stay safe.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have done a fair bit before it started to get hot then it is more than likely brake drag, if they had overtightened the bearings you would have noticed it very quickly after leaving home, unless the bearing has collapsed, but then the wheel would have been smoking big time, grease turns to oil and the wheel falls off eventually...................
Whatever happens if it gets really, really hot DO NOT PUT water on it, the brake drum can go bang but don't do a lot of distance if it gets so you cannot touch the brake drum with your bare hand, it can/will catch fire and you won't be able to stop it.....................dry powder extinguishers are useless on a brake drum fire.....
Don't mean to scare you would have answered better earlier but only had my phone..........