Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
That makes the ute not look like a ute, love colour coded stuff. ARB fitted my bulbar as well, remember the measure twice and cut once rule? Well I did remind them after thay cut the headlight trim on one side to high :frusty: What anoyed me most is it took weeks for it to be fixed and the "sorry we're to busy this week to fit it, the bar has to come back off you know" and my attitude went a little south with ARB after that.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thats a very nice looking rig @Smergen. The canopy suits the cars lines very well. They are indeed are very impressive canopy. Id be interested to hear if the air deflector on the rear works to stop dust building up on the back.

My brother turned up to the Queens Birthday w/e away with the Accent canopy on his Ranger, and it was certainly the talking point, very nice

(PS straighten that damn garage light will ya)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Very nice and agree with Crustys words....................now fill it up and get it dirty............

Reactions: Crusty181

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Very nice and agree with Crustys words....................now fill it up and get it dirty............

Check....
IMG_2658.JPG

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I suspect youll be on a tight leash for a while

Well, I did leave a little bit in the kitty for spontaneous purchasing but I doubt there will be any "big" addition for a little while yet.

Ha. Youll need another photo. In that one the Colorada actually looks annoyed .... like it doesnt want to get dirty. Same look you see on a dogs face as the owner drags in toward the water

Yeah, from that distance it still looks kinda clean. Smergling #1 and I decided to go play around on the hill on our way home and since it had been raining there was a bit more mud that last time. Some fun slipping and sliding in parts... Thankfully we dropped the shopping off first or else it would have been rather messy.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Actually @Crusty181 raised a reasonable point about purchasing that has me thinking... I read an interesting article about weights (GVM, GCM, ATM, etc...) that got me thinking about our set up for the big lap.

Unsurprisingly, all things I want to add to The Rock Truck will definitely tip it over the scales when you throw 200kg of ball weight on the back... So it's going to be back to the drawing board to try and work out exactly what is required and what isn't.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Actually @Crusty181 raised a reasonable point about purchasing that has me thinking... I read an interesting article about weights (GVM, GCM, ATM, etc...) that got me thinking about our set up for the big lap.

Unsurprisingly, all things I want to add to The Rock Truck will definitely tip it over the scales when you throw 200kg of ball weight on the back... So it's going to be back to the drawing board to try and work out exactly what is required and what isn't.
Yes. Weight calcs and logistics is a nightmare for a long trip, especially with kids in tow. Im in the middle of sorting through that now. Our usual rule is if it hasnt been used in the last 12 months it goes .... but Ive adjusted that and limited the criteria to just the last trip.

I would have definately got the GVM upgrade if Ironman had the Navara on their list, handy for the odd heavy load for work ... but theres no way id be using the extra capacity for any constant and long term work like a large lap. Bouncing around Oz for 6 mths is way different to a ton and 1/2 of bricks to the tip up the road.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Good advice @Crusty181 and when I was looking at GVM upgrades today, I reckon it will definitely be a consideration. Albeit the upgrades through the likes of Pedders only add 150kg or there abouts. If it's a few extra green ones, then it might get a look in. If it's a lot of green ones, I'll reconsider.

On the plus side, I found I read the GVM figures wrong and its 3100kg, which is a 150kg more than I thought... So I've just given myself a pseudo upgrade anyhow! Sure I lose it on the GCM, but I wasn't planning that big a van anyhow!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Good advice @Crusty181 and when I was looking at GVM upgrades today, I reckon it will definitely be a consideration. Albeit the upgrades through the likes of Pedders only add 150kg or there abouts. If it's a few extra green ones, then it might get a look in. If it's a lot of green ones, I'll reconsider.

On the plus side, I found I read the GVM figures wrong and its 3100kg, which is a 150kg more than I thought... So I've just given myself a pseudo upgrade anyhow! Sure I lose it on the GCM, but I wasn't planning that big a van anyhow!
If i got the GVM upgrade on the Navara, the extra carry weight would reduce my ball weight so much below the vans ball weight, i wouldnt be able to tow it anyway

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Forgive my ignorance @Crusty181, but how does upgrading the GVM reduce your ball weight? I understand that it shifts weight from your van to your rig when considering GCM but I thought towball weight was another load on your GVM.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Took The Rock Truck out with a mate and his ute to the Old Slate quarry up in the Lerdederg Forrest off Seerey Track.

Some good fun indeed, got some dirt on the truck, and even had a look at a steep climb to come back and tackle when I have a bit more clearance and grip on the rubber.

Some great tracks out the back of my joint that I never even knew about... Great fun...

photo 5.JPG photo 7.JPG photo 8.JPG photo  1.jpg photo  0.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Took The Rock Truck out with a mate and his ute to the Old Slate quarry up in the Lerdederg Forrest off Seerey Track.

Some good fun indeed, got some dirt on the truck, and even had a look at a steep climb to come back and tackle when I have a bit more clearance and grip on the rubber.

Some great tracks out the back of my joint that I never even knew about... Great fun...

View attachment 35254 View attachment 35255 View attachment 35256 View attachment 35257 View attachment 35258
Thats more like a Rock Truck in angry .... although I want to see in it that puddle

A tip from Crusty's Big Book of BS, park your car at its highest point (yours looks like its snorkel) under the garage door pull the door down to a couple of inches clearance, reverse out till the UHF antenna touches the garage door and mark it with colored elec tape. Measure the tape from the ground. Antenna tape gives you visual touch and go clearance, I use Dymo and stick the height measurement on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror for underground car parks etc

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
or you make sure you have a tape measure with you so when you go to drive into the underground car park and realise you have a boat on your roof ( maybe a Yak ) you can see if it will fit or not. They don't actually.

Reactions: cruza driver