Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'm sure this Rock truck got dirty last weekend.................is there any truth in this or have I been misled by my sources.......or even its owner
reading-a-map-smiley-emoticon.gif

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
OK fuel consumption update for @Pace (and @Drover)...

It should be noted that most of my kilometers are done on the highway with very little in the car, so probably as good consumption as can be...

• Overall (everything ever done): 40139km using 4177L @ 10.41 L//100km
  • All trips including towing van: 11565km using 1423L @ 12.3 L//100km
  • All trips not towing van: 27857km using 2688.4L @ 9.65 L//100km
  • Pure van towing trips: 737km using 122L @ 16.5 L/100km
  • Two trips since cleaning air filter and putting catch can on: 1473km using 132L @ 8.96L/100km
View attachment 41004

So I think helping the car breathe a little easier has made a world of difference. For the Big Lap with a heaving loaded car and bigger van, I'll be budgeting on somewhere between 17-20L/100km. I'm hoping better filters and exhausts will help combat the weight. Having said that, the two tanks that were pure van towing were on pretty poor days (wind/oppressive heat) so maybe it could be better.

All in all, reckon they're reasonable figures all things considered.
@Smergen , would it be at all possible to post up the spreadsheet you use?
Getting a new vehicle soon and would love to be able to track fuel usage like that.

Thanks

BJ.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So The Rock Truck got itself a present on the weekend.

Tossing up many dual battery options, I came across portable dual battery packs, most notably The Thumper and the ArkPak. After some rather "excessive" quotes from the professionals the prices of these came back rather attractive.

I liked the flexibility these two options gave me, as I'm yet to decide the final layout of the truck for the Big Trip. We're awaiting the van to see what we can store and where before we decide if drawers, slides, awnings, bike racks etc. are required. But swagging it up recently really rammed home the need for a fridge and a power supply in the back.

Bought off Ebay through House of 12V, I bought the 80AH Elite. No need for more power I think with the van battery and with potentially a panel we should be able to keep up with our needs.

Comes completely supplied with everything it needs for installation, including fitting. I particularly like its compatibility with the smart alternator setting, wiring direct to battery with an internal isolater to protector the crank battery. Reading the installation, I'm even thinking I might be able to do it. But as I've got some other stuff to do wiring wise for the van, I might just get the pro's to throw it in in one hit.

Bought on a weeknight, delivered to my door 2 days later by a courier for $649 (including a online voucher) I reckon it represents pretty handy value. Expertly and safely packed, I can't fault the service so far. Some people might argue that you can build a similar system cheaper, and they'd be right. But I like the simplicity and robustness of it all and suits our needs. Can't wait to have it installed and get on with buying the toys to plug into it!!

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Exciting!

Since buying and installing our dual battery system, we've found we no longer need to use it.

Strange as it replaced the extra battery we always carried but now we have no extra fridge. I checked it today and it is in perfect running order.

That's why we got it....in case we need to use it so I think you are wise to prepare efficiently.

Reactions: bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep @Dobbie, one of the things that appealed to me was the ability to take it out if I wanted it. I'm sure most of the time, I'll simply leave it in the truck, but having the flexibility if I wanted to appealed.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I found a cheap and easy way to check ours....may be of some use to somebody, but you probably have far more sophisticated systems.

We use a plug in voltmeter...with LED showing current state of battery. Just plug in a 12v socket for peace of mind.

Dual battery is set up for constant 12v power to one rear socket so is easy to monitor. Again, I learned the hard way after I had to replace the second battery when the relay failed and I had no idea the second battery wasn't charging. I learned.

And I also learned that modern vehicles use power even when in garage, doing nothing. All these new systems they add drain the battery unbeknownst to me. I should have asked, checked but didn't.

Now I check with simple equipment that I can understand.....and carry to use when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
We started off with an ArkPak. Good vibrations killed it. By week 3. Mind you the useless Arkpak is still quite serviceable as a battery box. We ended up with Projecta gear and not one issue since.

The extra battery runs the fridge, led lights and for short periods the compressor.

Reactions: Smergen

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We started off with an ArkPak. Good vibrations killed it. By week 3. Mind you the useless Arkpak is still quite serviceable as a battery box. We ended up with Projecta gear and not one issue since.

The extra battery runs the fridge, led lights and for short periods the compressor.

Yep. The extra battery system we used in the previous car and previous camper is a Projecta and we've had it for over six years with the same battery.

It gets fully charged every month as part of a charging program ...first of month , charge all batteries....we use it and other similar batteries for sprayers compressors etc...so it's always ready for use.

We added an Anderson plug as well so it has multiple uses and is now sitting happily on an old trolley so I don't have to lift it!

I'm surprised and impressed with it as I didn't expect it to last this long.

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So Thumper went in today with a help of a mate whose done a bit of 12V stuff in his life.

In hindsight, definitely something I could have done solo, but we had a few beers, fire in the potbelly and two young fellas interested so it was a great afternoon anyhow.

Brilliant bit of kit with every you require in the pack (screws to mount relay and control box notwithstanding). Very simple and straight forward. My mate who is in the market for a battery for his camper was that impressed he's buying one tomorrow he reckons.

At the moment it's just sitting in the back, but we've wired it so I can put it either end and due to connectivity I can simply unplug it if I don't want interested eyes busting into the canopy. One very satisfied customer here...

image.jpg image.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... Rock Truck update... Took it out to the boys at 4x4 Obsession and got a few more bits and bobs on it... New EFS Suspension set-up and Roo Systems 3" exhaust. It's certainly lifted the truck up a fair bit (100mm at tow ball) and has a slightly tougher sound. Seems to breathe a little better and slightly better response (although could be a bit of a placebo effect). Overall, very happy with how it all ended up.

1.JPG 3.JPG 5.JPG
Was also booked in for a matching ECU remap and an additional fuel filter. But alas the software isn't available yet for the MY15 Colorado's and the truck already has a dual filter set-up which is nice to know. The Dyno tune they did for me showed that I wasn't short of grunt anyhow, so I might focus my energies elsewhere...

So that saved me money and allowed me to go shopping at the 4x4 show to get goodies for the back! Managed to get a pretty good deal/pack and very excited to have more toys to play with. Ironically Mrs Smergs was happiest with the trolley that was included as she'll use it to cart her kids school work around! :)
6.JPG 8.JPG