Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Truck Update #1....

A few people would have picked up that I was after a radio (if you were following @17triton 's thread. So managed to pick up a Uniden radio with antenna combo through Prestige Communications. I'll dig out the link...

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/uniden-uh8060-s-80-channel-uhf-cb-radio-at870-6db-antenna

Rather than take on the install myself, which I really probably should have attempted, I spoke to the local auto-elecs that helped me out with the brake controller shamble a few months back. I'm a big believer in supporting those who do a great job, particularly small local businesses. And after seeing the job they've done, it's been money well spent.

I got them to hide the base unit away, and I had to search really hard to find it tonight, tucked up behind the glove box in an area I could never have got to with my big fat hands. The wiring work was immaculate and all joints and connections soldered in and protected with tape. The remote head was then hooks in with an extension cord to a socket installed in a blank switch underneath the steering wheel (thanks to @Crusty181 for the inspiration).

Time for a few pics

Nice colour coding of screen to the blue of the Colorado's centre console
image.jpg

The location of the socket for the hand piece. Really happy with this and after testing, works great. Take out the handset and you don't notice anything different.
image.jpg image.jpg

She's a tight squeeze under the roller door!
image.jpg

All in all, really happy with the unit and the install. Tested with the handhelds with Mrs Smergs in the oval across the road and I went up the hill (and over) behind our house and beautiful clear signals.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Took this shot up the hill whilst testing the radio out...

Capture.JPG

Actually gave the Hill Descent Control a go for the first time. Quite a unique feeling going down a steep decline without using pedals. Wouldn't call it smooth but certainly stopped me riding the brakes (although I suspect the car did that for me!). A feature that might need some more investigation...

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Took this shot up the hill whilst testing the radio out...

View attachment 34876

Actually gave the Hill Descent Control a go for the first time. Quite a unique feeling going down a steep decline without using pedals. Wouldn't call it smooth but certainly stopped me riding the brakes (although I suspect the car did that for me!). A feature that might need some more investigation...
Did you get the black base to match bull bar or chrome is your mounting point on the top bar of bull bar what dose the misses think of it being sort of in front of her

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
It's got the chrome base mate, which is nice and shiny, tying in with the mirrors and sports bar (although that's not going to be there tomorrow....). It's mounted on the pre-made brackets on the ARB bar, so figured that was the best spot for it.

As for what does Mrs Smergs think of.... well, between asleep, reading her book or playing UN Peacekeeper to the rear seat, she's rarely looking over the bonnet on any trip. I doubt it will phase her.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com

Yes, the Hill Start Control is a great thing too with the van back also getting away from the traffic lights. Pace.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
It's got the chrome base mate, which is nice and shiny, tying in with the mirrors and sports bar (although that's not going to be there tomorrow....). It's mounted on the pre-made brackets on the ARB bar, so figured that was the best spot for it.

As for what does Mrs Smergs think of.... well, between asleep, reading her book or playing UN Peacekeeper to the rear seat, she's rarely looking over the bonnet on any trip. I doubt it will phase her.
I got the the black base cant wait to get car back so I can put it all on its getting a few mods done mite have it back tomoz its at turbo engineering in Thomastown

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
just having a quick glance at this thread, question "if you had $500 what would you put it towards" easy it would pay for half a service lol

This suspension thing has me confused though, I put airbags in the rear for around $100 cause I don't have a WDH but I can't think for the love of me why you would need to "upgrade" your suspension on a fairly new vehicle?? (It's probably a Jeep thing)

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@DRW possibly. It's been cold here at Dalwallinu WA. 25 today but 9 overnight. The picture was at Mt Augustus last week where it was 34.

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Damn I knew I should have taken a pic of the bleak day here at Elliot Heads but it wasn't today !!!!!! Sunny, little wind, 26deg tempted to go swimming.................................pic tomorrow.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I can't think for the love of me why you would need to "upgrade" your suspension on a fairly new vehicle??
I picked up my ute from the suspension upgrade joint ... its just on 12 months old, 18k and heres why I needed to upgraded.

I pulled up in the the suspension joint car park to drop it off Tuesday morning, and the first thing that comes out of the dudes mouth is "geeez maaate ... thats sittin bloody low in the ar$e, aint it?". I carry a bit in the car, and on the racks ..... and on every seat .... and on the floor , everywhere :oops:

The Super Awesome Navara was getting a 500kg spring replacement. That ends up with a 45mm lift by default, not by request, which is 5mm less than the legal lift limit. When I call back in the afternoon my car was sitting back in the carpark and I nearly fell over, the lift from where it was in the morning was an easy 100mm plus; the 45mm lift and a 60 or 70mm correction. The twin cabs are notoriously soft in the suspension, to appeal to the domestic market and us tradies pay for that in reduced real world carrying capacity.

Apparently you can't sell pretty cars with all the bells and whistles if they ride like a tractor.

Another reason to upgrade is for a GVM upgrade. Some of the brands have kits for specific vehicles thats adds upto 400kg to the vehicles GVM. Unfortunately my chosen brand doesn't have a Navara GVM upgrade. Pedders do a 200kg GVM upgrade, and West Coast suspension do a 400kg GVM upgrade for the Navara.

I drove the ute home from the suspension joint and parked it in the garage .... when I opened the door to get out the ground wasn't where it had been that morning. I fell out of the car, bounced of Princess Crusty's car and ended up on the ground.