Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep @DRW, like @Crusty181 said, I think manufacturers try and provide something that covers as many bases as possible. Most cars can be improved out of the factory. Holdens can go to HSV, Fords to FPV, Jeeps to MOPAR, Mercs to AMG to Brabus, BMW to M... And then you can get all the aftermarket tuners. All because most parts can be improved. It, like everything, comes down to a $$ thing and a perceived value.

For me I can't afford a 200 series 'cruiser or my dream F truck. So I compromise with a solid base and build what I can improve on with the dollars as the become available. It's not that the stock isn't good, it's just that it could be better.

I would upgrade the standard suspension if I knew it added a tangible improvement. At this stage I'm more than happy with the standard suspension currently, but it could be better. For my current level/frequency of towing and off-roading it easily does the job. But for the big lap, which will involve more off roading, I'll want an improvement.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've been so tempted since I'm near Bundy for a week to get some shocks from the ARB store here, but Mrs D ruins it by asking how am I going to pay for it, I really, really need new ones though.

Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
This black base thing ??? Are we getting excited about an aerial ?? are we.
just a question not that exciting I didn't ask him if his aerial came with a smaller one too for trees and hilly 4x4 tracks mine did just thought black matches the bull bar better no shiny thing sticking up

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Most cars can be improved out of the factory.
I recall reading some heavy machinery and trucks are fitted with Steinbauer chips out of the factory. After looking at the shocks that came out of my ute, and the new ones that went in I'm surprised the tow ball wasnt dragging on the ground. The factory shocks are about a quarter of the size

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I recall reading some heavy machinery and trucks are fitted with Steinbauer chips out of the factory. After looking at the shocks that came out of my ute, and the new ones that went in I'm surprised the tow ball wasnt dragging on the ground. The factory shocks are about a quarter of the size
found out a bit about chips lately some do things different to others some do more some do less you really have to do home work a steinbauer is a good one but no good for a 100 series you have to match your car to the chip that works best on that car without causing problems

Reactions: Drover

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic

I never had a problem with the 550, I wasn't towing around something as big as your monster, but I found without weight in it she was a bit too stiff in the rear and on corrugations it would get a bit loose. I did 105,000k's and I dont believe it dropped at all, maybe the constant weight that you're carrying just kills them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I never had a problem with the 550, I wasn't towing around something as big as your monster, but I found without weight in it she was a bit too stiff in the rear and on corrugations it would get a bit loose. I did 105,000k's and I dont believe it dropped at all, maybe the constant weight that you're carrying just kills them.
It only a little bit higher than it was
Monster Frontier2.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK big update #2

Since day 1 I've had my eyes set on a canopy, and whilst I loved having a ute, the extra storage and security was always going to be a winner. So after much debate, research and deliberation (and my little work bonus allowing the extra $$) I splashed out on a colour coded ARB Ascent Canopy.

First impressions are very positive, and seems very well built. Would have been nice if the guys didn't break the sill guards when removing them from the tub, but meh, I doubt I'd get much for them anyhow. They also took the one off the tailgate to fit it on, but I reckon I'll trim it up and refit to protect the metal.

I love the light, the link to central locking and the "secret" style buttons to open the windows. The slam shut windows seem very solid and robust. All in all, I'm very happy with the investment. And this may be a bit of a placebo effect, but I thought the truck was more solid and balanced on the trip home. Perhaps the extra weight just takes some of the bounce out of the rear end. Will monitor...

And now... some pics!!

DSC_0236.JPG DSC_0237.JPG DSC_0238.JPG DSC_0239.JPG DSC_0240.JPG DSC_0243.JPG DSC_0245.JPG DSC_0252.JPG DSC_0255.JPG

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
nice !!!!!! was going to same for the bt but didn't get that far did they say anything about possible leaks or is it fully sealed

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I'd struggle to see how it could leak around the edges as it overhangs the tub, and then there's some foam sealant in that as well. Perhaps around the vent, but I'd be surprised. It's a quality looking unit.