Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yeah your right @Smergen I forget some take the badge very serious, I should follow your lead..............................owning Jeeps for over 10 years you just ignore the uncalled for jibes from those less fortunate, now it's Holden digs...................we really want to know what toys you have got though.............

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Drover... yep, every brand has their lemons, and every brand has people who swear by them. I love the light hearted jibes and this is the only place that I've seen that can keep it on the friendly level without getting into the badge bashing. I hope it stays that way.

As for toys currently bought, all in good time.

But I will float this to the bigger EDU family....

"If you had $500 to spend on your tow rig, what would you buy/put it towards?"

Obviously everyone is different with needs, requirements and desires. I'm just interested in what would be considered as most major upgrades (suspension, storage, roof storage, tuning/exhaust) for the Rock Truck cost more than this and will occur periodically over the next couple of years. Smart thought would be to build the kitty up, but where's the fun in that?

Plus I'm also keen to spend it before Mrs Smergs knows it's there.... :behindsofa:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
That will definitely happen, just not sure which way I'm heading. What are you getting?
The suspension dude offers most brands, and I have a few days left to decide. He himself runs the new Ironman by choice and has given it the thumbs up and a bit of "what for" over a few 4x4 trips. Either Tough Dog or Ironman. Im leaning toward Ironman double skin 45mm foam shocks, adj front end, with 500kg springs in the rear. If the 500kg rear turns out to be a bit too firm, he'll pull a leaf out.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Upgrade suspension on my list too so I'll be watching with interest as well @Crusty181.
@Smergen has your ute got underbody soundproofing ??? Mine didn't and could get pretty noisy on some roads so I sprayed it with the black goop, a lot quieter now, base model of course.

Reactions: Smergen

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Upgrade suspension on my list too so I'll be watching with interest as well @Crusty181.
@Smergen has your ute got underbody soundproofing ??? Mine didn't and could get pretty noisy on some roads so I sprayed it with the black goop, a lot quieter now, base model of course.
Suspension is a bit of a minefield with extraordinarily passionate views for particular brands, and equally passionate views against particular brands. Which makes it very confusing and worrying to be honest. Even if the whole suspension thing/bits falls off the car, replacing its only a $2000 odd job, so the cost of the upgrade isn't significant (in the big picture), its more about knowing you've got the right advice from the right people. I originally wanted Pedders because thats their core function and they are (i believe) the only manufacturers left in Oz (for all the components) but they couldn't explain why they were so much more expensive ... made worse when they apparently manufacture for a lot of other brands ... who in turn sell it cheaper.

I need to harden up the soft bum of the Navara for work, but then in order of importance add in towing the Behemoth with the car loaded to the gunnels, a bit of mucking about on the farm, and last and very much least maybe some bush bashing (on freshly graded dirty suburban bitumen streets)

The guy Im getting to do mine was happy (so he says) to put on virtually any brand that took my desire, but he was the only one I spoke to who's recommendation for a particular brand came with confident reasoning the made sense combined with hands on personal experience .... maybe he's just a great salesman and Ive been goosed. But he's also the only one that took into account my very heavy needs today and much lighter needs in 18 months for which he offered tangible alternatives and adjustments when I need them.

One other thing I discovered is that TJM have no company stores and each store is an independent franchise, with each franchise stocking some core standardised TJM stock and then other various stuff they themselves source. ARB don't offer anything outside their own brand, and the guy I spoke to there used the feedback his dad gave him to confidently recommend the only product they sold.

Hopefully Ive made the right choice ... time will tell

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In a nutshell @Crusty181 , well said.......I personally after trying Gabriel, Ironman, Rancho and OME, have always ended up with EMU's in the end for the long term but thats me, they last, may be a bit harsh when empty but the damn things haven't broken before the docket fades, though I did find the Ironman coils were quite good but the shocks were rubbish for the vehicle I had but they were good to deal with and swapped and eventually refunded no hassles but I believe they have upgraded their gear since then so they may get another look, cost plays a big part and since I fit my own stuff I'm at one with the gear. ARB scared the life out of me when I found out how much they wanted to fit the stuff....................:o

Sounds like a good choice youvé made.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh

I do know the MY15 had improved soundproofing over the MY14, but I'm not sure what that included. Before I put the snorkel on, it was almost prohibitively quiet (particularly compared the "Noisy Bucket", the old Pajero). Thanks to the 'norkel, is a bit more grumbly under throttle but cruising I still consider it really really quiet. No need for goop at this stage.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
In a nutshell @Crusty181 , well said.......I personally after trying Gabriel, Ironman, Rancho and OME, have always ended up with EMU's in the end for the long term but thats me, they last, may be a bit harsh when empty but the damn things haven't broken before the docket fades, though I did find the Ironman coils were quite good but the shocks were rubbish for the vehicle I had but they were good to deal with and swapped and eventually refunded no hassles but I believe they have upgraded their gear since then so they may get another look, cost plays a big part and since I fit my own stuff I'm at one with the gear. ARB scared the life out of me when I found out how much they wanted to fit the stuff....................:o

Sounds like a good choice youvé made.
I have OME fitted to mine

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
if he cant fit truck into shed with a roof rack on he will need cash for lifting roof of the shed look out @17triton I feel a working bee coming on

If you saw my garage mate, I think you'd realise there'd be no lifting of the roof! Nope, once the bigger mods go on, I feel The Rock Truck will be relegated to the driveway...

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wish when I built my shed I made it higher the van just won't fit but the Colorado with Yak on top does.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you saw my garage mate, I think you'd realise there'd be no lifting of the roof! Nope, once the bigger mods go on, I feel The Rock Truck will be relegated to the driveway...

I thought about getting the Bob Cat and lowering the floor in one of the bays for the van but then with only 25mm either side I'd probably rip the damn doorway out, as it turns out the van spends more time on the road than parked up at home, glorious.