Ranger or BT50

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@Bluey sorry I just remembered you asked about my BT a few days ago mate. Click on the link in my signature for what I have done.

We are rapt with it having done lots of trips big and small. Its already 2 years next month since delivery, mine is a manual too.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Bluey sorry I just remembered you asked about my BT a few days ago mate. Click on the link in my signature for what I have done.

We are rapt with it having done lots of trips big and small. Its already 2 years next month since delivery, mine is a manual too.
thanks pal we are trying to bring pal back at work it seems to have gone anyway im now waiting for better sale best I could now was 2014 XTR silver 3000 ks ex demo 46000 thought I could get better but he wouldn't move so I didn't by it .
now the election at work unions are very worried , we will get attached if same ones get back in so it may mean no overtime pay , no rdos , or at bosses discretion we pay for them each week ! anyway a hole new set of rules they want to apply so watch ur coins
everyone is saying, in this state workers will go off if new changers to the EBA which we have the same one for years
im not on a high horse but in earthmoving bulk digs we work long hrs and bloody hard all jobs finished before time .
I fear many strikes which is no good for anyone if they make these changes im worse off hundreads wife may have too go back to work on leave to look after kids a teacher maternity leave never had so much riding on a vote maybe no bt too
will look at what uve done thanks again

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I was looking at a Ranger or BT50 to lease for when I commuting to work when the family moves out of town. The only one I can lease is a Ranger Wildtrak Auto as it the only Dual Cab I like that can't carry a tonne or more in the tray...

Personally I like the Ranger better due to looks, but I also like the features and dash layout of the BT50.

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
My Wildtrack continues to impress me @Hubble80

Awesome truck to date.... And while the price tag outstrips the BT50 and most others, the "standard" feature list in a Wildtrack is pretty damn impressive. A lot of what you get you would probably end up fitting aftermarket anyway... So you pay for it regardless.

IMHO they are a pretty good buy for a very refined truck.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I was looking at a Ranger or BT50 to lease for when I commuting to work when the family moves out of town. The only one I can lease is a Ranger Wildtrak Auto as it the only Dual Cab I like that can't carry a tonne or more in the tray...

Personally I like the Ranger better due to looks, but I also like the features and dash layout of the BT50.

I have heard stories that you can reduce your payload to under 1T for leasing purposes by fitting accessories like bar work etc.

Reactions: bigcol

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
I've an XLT with suspension mods, wheels/tyres but the best thing I have done is the 3 inch exhaust (no cat) and an ECU tune. I've had a list of modified cars so tuning is nothing new or daunting to me. Standard, it pulled my van nicely. Modified, it's just so much better again. Unladen, its a rocket. I've got 11,000kms on it now. Love it.

I drove the bt50 before the XLT and the difference I noticed most was the tune in both - the mazda was more laggy. That said, nothing a tune and exhaust can't fix. I couldn't stand the look of the mazda either so was happy to pay the extra for the ford. Just my preference.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Well BT50 GT ordered..... Its look is growing on me, my heart said ford but the head and wallet said BT. I just couldnt justify the extra 6k and the BT is coming with more extras fitted as well so the end would have been around 7 to 8 k. Mazda has some cracking deals at the moment which i just couldn't refuse.

Last edited:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Well BT50 GT ordered..... Its look is growing on me, my heart said ford but the head and wallet said BT. I just couldnt justify they extra 6k and the BT is coming with more extras fitted as well so the end would have been around 7 to 8 k. Mazda has some cracking deals at the moment which i just couldn't refuse.
Welcome to the GT club

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Well BT50 GT ordered..... Its look is growing on me, my heart said ford but the head and wallet said BT. I just couldnt justify the extra 6k and the BT is coming with more extras fitted as well so the end would have been around 7 to 8 k. Mazda has some cracking deals at the moment which i just couldn't refuse.

good job

I think the days of brand loyalty are on an end -

as long as your happy with your purchase man....

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
They come off the same production line, so any issues with one will be apparent in the other,
I've got a Ranger, one of my mates just bought one too but was offered a really great deal on a Mazda
and I told him he was a fool for not taking it.
Suspension is the same on both now, IMO Mazda dash is nicer and Ranger front is nicer.
As for reverse cameras carvision in Melb do a kit that looks factory for about $450 with 2 cameras (one for the back of my van).
Which ever one anyone buys they should be happy. Enjoy your GT.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
They come off the same production line, so any issues with one will be apparent in the other,
I've got a Ranger, one of my mates just bought one too but was offered a really great deal on a Mazda
and I told him he was a fool for not taking it.
Suspension is the same on both now, IMO Mazda dash is nicer and Ranger front is nicer.
As for reverse cameras carvision in Melb do a kit that looks factory for about $450 with 2 cameras (one for the back of my van).
Which ever one anyone buys they should be happy. Enjoy your GT.
Most sensible assessment I've heard yet.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
I think you will find on this forum the BT50's have been more reliable than their counterparts (go down the list in tow cars and have a read). I have a BT 50 and love it. Both models are due for an upgrade in 2015 and the Mazda is set to get a more conventional front and I think the Ford may get the Everest front which looks like an old Kluger:disgust:. We are due to upgrade soon and every time I go to a Ford dealer, their pricing kills it for me. By the way, they are not as close as people think, yes there are lots of common components but also a lot of differences. I might look at the Colorado but will probably stick with Mazda.
your right about not being as close as everyone thinks. auto tranny mechanic told me the fords have a deeper oil sump and longer filter pick up to reach the bottom than the mazda witch equals more oil in the box, barney.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
When you look at some spare parts packages, they are branded Mazda and Ford. I have read the electrical system they use is quite a bit different between the 2. Maybe the fords hold more oil because they have to get thru to 15000 k's between services, Mazda is 10000. I know a few people are doing the rear tailgate lock mod on their BT50's and you have to go to Ford to get the parts. On the other hand I have also read that it can be cheaper to get some parts for your Ranger from Mazda.

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
Most sensible assessment I've heard yet.

Agree @relgate and @BaxnRach either would make you pretty damn happy.

And yes @macca you are 100% correct on the spare parts front. Ford and Mazda have "model shared" for years. I have worked in the automotive spares game for years, selling both genuine and aftermarket parts. There were plenty of occasions where the OEM Ford part came in a Mazda box and vice versa. Also times when both brands sold the identical part under their unique brand. And it wasn't uncommon to have significant price variance for what was essentially the same part, just in a different box.

Reactions: bigcol

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Agree @relgate and @BaxnRach either would make you pretty damn happy.

And yes @macca you are 100% correct on the spare parts front. Ford and Mazda have "model shared" for years. I have worked in the automotive spares game for years, selling both genuine and aftermarket parts. There were plenty of occasions where the OEM Ford part came in a Mazda box and vice versa. Also times when both brands sold the identical part under their unique brand. And it wasn't uncommon to have significant price variance for what was essentially the same part, just in a different box.

Same as aftermarket gear, the exhaust, suspension, long range tank, canopy, bash plates etc.... same part number

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Then you'll be in the Ute Club to @Bluey :rockon:
well cruza driver put 500 on a bt auto today to hold it for me its at greame powell mazda under ex demo ones its gold colour
still nutting out final deal , taking prado to them on weekend , 28 over phone will try for better , will be sorry to take it off the wife and give her , her commodore back but weight and room is at stake and the prado looses but its such a good car very sad to see it go but money talks bullshittttttt walks and I carnt afford for it to drop value and trade it later on anyway it is still such a hard decision to loose it I know the bt is good for future big trips kids will be fine once out of there car seats for many years