Our Silverline mods

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
image.jpg
Still need to put the end bungs and reflectors on when they come .

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@mfexpanda... I like the tubes on the bumper mate. What are those clamps you use to attach them? Are they all one piece or is it a hose clamp which runs under another clamp on the bumper?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Interested in the inverter installation mate? Did you do it yourself?
Yes it's simple .
I bought a second battery connected it to the first one then connected to inverter to the batteries with the leads that came with it .
I then mounted a 15amp outlet outside which has a lead with plug plugged in to the inverter.
If it want to run the van on the inverter I run a short lead between the inverter outlet and the van inlet .
It's simple the whole van runs like normal and it works for us .
Just 2 things there was a lot of measuring before I cut the hole in the side of the van and you'll need to work out how big of a inverter is needed .

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yes it's simple .
I bought a second battery connected it to the first one then connected to inverter to the batteries with the leads that came with it .
I then mounted a 15amp outlet outside which has a lead with plug plugged in to the inverter.
If it want to run the van on the inverter I run a short lead between the inverter outlet and the van inlet .
It's simple the whole van runs like normal and it works for us .
Just 2 things there was a lot of measuring before I cut the hole in the side of the van and you'll need to work out how big of a inverter is needed .

Thanks mate... I finally get the idea... Bit slow tonight. Essentially that makes every power point in the van an inverter point correct?

As for cutting a hole in the side of the van... wow... I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that... That'd be nerve wracking...

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Thanks mate... I finally get the idea... Bit slow tonight. Essentially that makes every power point in the van an inverter point correct?

As for cutting a hole in the side of the van... wow... I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that... That'd be nerve wracking...
Yes every power point .
Believe me there were lots of nerves till the outlet covered the hole

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Next mod is moving the gas bayonet fitting .
Jayco put it just inside the rails right next to the gal, sharp,sheet that protects the water tank and I sliced the end of my thumb on the last trip trying to disconnect without laying under there .
Easy enough to move to a better spot .

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
so ...... you run a 6 inch lead from your inverter plug to the vans input GPO. Awesome idea.

It looks like your two DC batteries are permanently connected together. With the additional roof panels, did you splice into the existing cabling or run additional cables.

Cheers

not a good idea, you will then also be trying to charge the battery from the van power (which is the same battery), endless loop of power loss from the battery.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
best solution for inverter power - put a change over relay in the van. so when there is no power input to the van, all the power points are running off the inverter (not the battery charger), when power is supplied to the van it also powers the changover relay and connects all the power points back to the mains power. no more changing leads and instant changeover without a flicker

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
best solution for inverter power - put a change over relay in the van. so when there is no power input to the van, all the power points are running off the inverter (not the battery charger), when power is supplied to the van it also powers the changover relay and connects all the power points back to the mains power. no more changing leads and instant changeover without a flicker
Agreed. But how do you isolate the battery charger?

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
www.bifolds.co
you can put another change over relay at the point where the charger is. so that the charger is isolated when the inverter has power. this relay is connected in reverse to the other isolator. when there is mains power the charger is connected and inverter power the charger is disconnected. changover relays are around $10-$20 depending where you purchase them from.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was under the impression the switch next to the Setec stopped the charging thingy when its switched off. It certainly stopped my battery charging or powering anything. @relgate could you draw what your describing for noobs

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I was under the impression the switch next to the Setec stopped the charging thingy when its switched off. It certainly stopped my battery charging or powering anything. @relgate could you draw what your describing for noobs
Agree it does isolate the batteries when off the setec unit supplies the 12v when on 240v