Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I hope not to offend, but I reckon you should give upholstery a try and recover that floral headboard! :)
Looking forward to seeking more progress pics soon! I'm thinking many forum members will be following this thread with interest as its a great mod you're doing!

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I hope not to offend, but I reckon you should give upholstery a try and recover that floral headboard! :)
Looking forward to seeking more progress pics soon! I'm thinking many forum members will be following this thread with interest as its a great mod you're doing!
Ha ha, yeah that was always covered with pillows and I never even new it was there for the first few times we used the van. And yes, it will be removed when we sort out the new colour scheme for mattresses etc

Reactions: Xpandafan and Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Ha ha, yeah that was always covered with pillows and I never even new it was there for the first few times we used the van. And yes, it will be removed when we sort out the new colour scheme for mattresses etc

Phew, good to hear! Will look like a whole new van once your finished!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I'd put the extra mattress at the back of the seat, would make a nice back rest with a couple throw cushions for extra comfort and give it a nice lounging look!

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
Very creative !
That table base is a pain in our 16.52.2 so I had thought I might try a smaller support as well re center(or make an offset riser arm) it so the table could be used as a bed base?

Thanks for the ideas!

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
012_zps22a4d35a.jpg
014_zpsd61b44f1.jpg
Put on my carpet layers hat today and layed down some new carpet around the bed. I used marine grade carpet as it may get abit wet when we come out of shower. I also removed the bed frames, sanded and painted. Now waiting on mattresses to be made.
And sorry for dirty(new) carpet as the vacuum cleaner wasn't in my workshop.

Reactions: Stan53 and Tayla

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Looking really good Moto mech! What sort of mattresses are you getting? Foam or innerspring?

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
30 130 High density dunlop foam in 100mm thick is what we are thinking but they want us to go in and try it before getting them done incase its not thick enough. Originally was going to get 150mm thick but it was going to be to expensive.

Brad Haines

May 14, 2013
Hey moto mech, if i was a millionaire id pay you to design a caravan for me and the wife, then i would buy it for you and have a second one built for me minus the kids bunks ( mine have all grown up and dont want to stay in the same caravan as the oldies).Great job on the mods man. you are a rare breed of craftsman with fantastic ideas that looks outside the square. Ive just purchased a Jayco discovery 2008 model which i thought was pretty good until i saw your beast. looks like ive got a few mods to do.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpg
image.jpg
Small item ticked off. Made up some pop top stabilisers tohelp hold the roof up in windy conditions. Half a length of 25mm conduit pipe and 8 23mm chair leg rubbers. $10 for 4.

Reactions: Stan53

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
We are currently staying in the van down at Coles Bay Tassie, been here since Saturday and head home Saturday.We have had magical weather, about -2 morning frosts but up to 17 deg days. Will load up some pics once home.Van is preforming well, even if we did leave the lower draft skirt at home and had to "hundred mile an hour tape" a tarp along the bottom. Heater cranked up full bore all night just keeping us comfortable.
Fish are biting ok, would have had a good feed except we put them all back.
One new mod. we've done while away was a new tv antenna. Wherever we go in Tassie we always seem to have poor or no tv reception and set up down here we couldnt get one channel. So while in Hobart we called into Jayco and purchased a Saturn Omni 3000 antenna. We were hesitant at $400 but we were offered a full refund if it didnt preform.
Back at camp I hooked it up and tuned TV, 21 channels programed. Very happy.
Amother quality Australian made product.
New bed arrangement is ok, nice and comfortable and gives plenty of room with extension folded down. But need to fit something under/ontop of matteresses to stop them moving causing gaps.
Solar panels doing ok with limited sun,and you wouldnt believe how much one little tree can cast so much shade over the van hindering charging.
We actually liked it so much here that we've booked in for a week at christmas.

Reactions: cruza driver

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Not so much a caravan mod but (hurts to say) purchased a ( second hand used twice)cheapie generator, $500 for a 3.5kva american made.
Wanted one to run air cond/heater while free camping(away from others) and for emergencies but didnt want to spend huge dollars on something that may only get used once a year.
It seems ok, runs air cond/heater and all lights together easily but turn microwave on as well and it goes out on overload but microwave is not so important.

Reactions: blacky

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Made up my new antenna mount for the van. Wanted to cover previous holes from differant mounts so grabbed a scrap of 1.6mm stainless steel sheet and welded(stainless rod) on a 25mm tube for pole to slide in.