Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Just done a quick mod, bit hard to see but youll get the idea.
Got sick of kids pushing on fly screen(from inside and outside) plus it wasn't long before our little girl was gunna go head first out the door through the fly screen. I wanted some flyscreen door mesh on the lower section but couldn't figure out how to fasten it to look good.
So I cut up some seat belt webbing, criss crossed it and made up a safety "mesh" and screwed it to the door.
IMG_5339.JPG

Reactions: bigcol and blacky

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Well tickets booked for next year, got a super special Christmas deal for the Spirit of Tasmania crossing, $670 return which is half price. Unfortunately this time the Discovery will stay at home. We sail out end of May and return mid September, spending most of our time zig zagging around W.A's inland then heading east to visit family and friends and hopefully do some bow hunting.
Ohhhh cant wait.
We also head off for 3 weeks boxing day to Coles Bay then up the east coast of Tassie for some free camping. And the Discovery will definitely be coming for that one.

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
IMG_3104.jpg
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3115.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
Fnished all the alloy sheeting today, finally. Used about 700 rivets in total. And just when I thought I was done with it today, I went to wire in my front two clearance lights to find all my other 6 had stopped. Time to do some investigating only to find I had drilled through the main wire that feeds them all. Repaired that, luckily it was easy to get to behind the air cond. vent. Then discovered my front left one still wasnt working so looks like I drilled another wire somewhere. Thats tomorrows job. Along with glueing my solar panels to the pop top.
Hi motomech, just wondering what thickness checkaplate you used and did you get it pre bent. If not what did you cut it with.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well tickets booked for next year, got a super special Christmas deal for the Spirit of Tasmania crossing, $670 return which is half price. Unfortunately this time the Discovery will stay at home. We sail out end of May and return mid September, spending most of our time zig zagging around W.A's inland then heading east to visit family and friends and hopefully do some bow hunting.
Ohhhh cant wait.
We also head off for 3 weeks boxing day to Coles Bay then up the east coast of Tassie for some free camping. And the Discovery will definitely be coming for that one.
You might have swing past here mate :)

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Thanks Motomech I just spent a terrific half hour or so reading this! I'm a Sparky by trade who loves to fiddle and learnt a lot of tips, top work. Curious as to the initial purchase cost and budget so far, if that's not a rude question?

We all love brand new vans but you have made a great van with just a lot of common sense and some skill. I have done a lot of work on an old hard floor camper with water and power etc and enjoy being productive too. Good luck with the big trip, we'll be watching with interest.

Cheers John
John, just did some sums and came up with the following break down

Purchase price $18500
All mods(so far)$6000
Total cost$24500.
Pretty happy, we have a van we can go 90% of places, have never ending solar power and as long as we can get water it is 100% self sufficient.( we can carry 180lts of water)

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
We head off tomorrow for 17 days in the van, down around Coles Bay then back around the east coast of Tassie.
Im going to fit a tripple water tank gauge once home so we can moniter water tanks more closely
Ill post up some pics as I can.
Merry Christmas to all.

Reactions: Stan53