Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Our trip as tracked with hema map app on a Ipad mini. Missed the first two days as I turned it off.
We had planned to go up through the back of Renmark and into the Flinders Ranges but all roads were shut due to rainso skirted around.
Headed up to Maree then turned off up the Birdsville trk. Spent 4 days crossing the Simpson. Had freezing weather crossing the desert, coats and beanies and blazing fires of a night. Loved the Simpson and cant wait to get back there, the mrs on the other hand.....,. We then went up the Binns trk to Alice Springs for a few days. From Alice we headed out and spent a night along the Boggy Hole trk. Great scenery through here, loved it. Got our first sat phone call at Boggy hole to tell us my mother inlaw had had a heart attack so wasnt sure if this was the end of our trip or not. Luckily all was ok.
Stopped in at Ayres Rock to fuel up then headed out to start the Great central road. Road was in ok cond, saw a few vans about but after Docker River the road was excellent.
Did a small fuel top up at Warburton($2.47lt) before turning off onto the Heather hwy and boy it was a shocker, the corrugations were terrible and didnt improve once on the GunBarrel. These corrugations leave cape yorks bypass roads corrugations for dead . Thankfully as we crossed into the Wiluna shire the road turned into a dirt hwy, sanity saved.
Headed nth west from Wiluna, passing the start of the canning stock route then swung nth for Newman, first time for a couple of weeks we had to share the road with other traffic. Spent a week checking out Newman before heading up to Karajini.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: chartrock

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Was really looking forward to Karajini and our first day here was great, unfortunately the weather turned to crap and the next two days it rained, was freezing cold and just ruined everything. Our 4th day dawned cloudy, dark and threatened to rain again so we packed up and left, looking for sunshine and warm weather. Spent the night at Glen Herring gorge, fantastic camping. Have a confession for camping here. You know the add on TV where the guys are camping by a beach all by them selves and some other people pulled up so they cranked up the music, put their caps on back the front and looked like bogans? Well we had a great spot all to our selves and someone came in and parked right near us(massive camp area) so I done the above and then for some reason they decided to move on..........
Next nights camp was on the De gray river nth of Marble Bar, another fantastic free camp, grassy camp on side of river.
Out onto the hwy next day and pointed nth heading for BarnHill station. Oh man, loved it here, beautiful beach, scenery and coastline. Ended up here for 4 days. Headed into Broome for a couple of days before heading up to Quondong pt and Middle Lagoon. I think Middle Lagoon was the high light of the trip, could easily go back and spend 6mths there easily, just magnificant. After 7 days here we cut through a back road heading back out onto the hwy where we met a guy coming the other way towing his full size van. The thing is this track was so over grown I hardly fitted through in our Cruiser and to make it worse there was sections of sand so soft it'd bog a ant. After a chat he continued on his way and us on ours but strewn all along the track for the next 10kms was bits of his van, lights, antennas, vents, hatch's etc. poor bloke(I read later on the net that some people found him bogged to the axles in soft sand and they eventually got him out and cleared the track for him. His van suffered thousands of dollars damage)
We camped at Laney Crossing on the fitzroy rr, great free camp but real busy.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Due to kids being over walking we decided to give the GRR a miss this time(have done it before) and headed straight for Kununurra. We spent 3weeks here as we used to live up here and love it.
After leaving Kununurra it was all home bound now, cut down through Top Springs, then across the Barkley Tablelands to Camooweal. From here we had a night at Corella Dam, a fantastic free camp before visiting some friends at Charters towers for a week. We turned sth here down to Miles where we again spent a week with family before a quick trip to Melb and home.
In total we did 16500kms in 3 months, saw some fantastic spots that we will definitely revisit with our van.
Ill post some pics up next week from my work computer.