Discovery Our Jayco Discovery

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
079.JPG

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Ok, running 2 120w panels I removed one 100ah deep cycle battery and now only run one. Last weekend we went away and had very limited sunshine but the single battery coped great, charged up quicker and didnt seem to drop anymore(according to our solar controller) so one battery it is. Saves a heap of weight, quicker charging and still plenty of reserve.
Also one 9kg gas bottle does us pretty much a summers camping so I have also removed one 9kg bottle and now carry one 9kg and one 4.5kg bottle(for webber), again a big weight saving.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah interesting. I am thinking of ditching the second battery too. You just don't seem to use that much power with modern vans

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Interesting location for a battery. Exposed to the elements. Not sure I like that idea. Especially after the damage I saw inflicted on various Expanda's on the Cameron's Corner run.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Couldn't understand why everyone wants so much power when with leds, gas fridge and HWS ,one battery and an 80w panel gives us heaps I suppose if you run a TV all day with dvd going thru an inverter you would need heaps but then if your going to use them why leave home anyway.
My old G60 patrol had the battery out in the weather not to mention numerous 4x4 trucks, a decent rack and good as gold.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Batterys like to be cool, its cool under van. Batterys sometimes explode, safer to explode under van than in van. Some batterys give off gas while charging, better to vent gas under van than in it. Its better to carry weight down low than up high.
And its sitting in a 3mm thick steel cradle with 3mm thick front, it'll take a massive impact to damage battery which Im happy to risk. It is also near 400mm from ground so has more ground clearance than vehicle and caravan axles.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I really like that idea and a battery rack would fit nicely opposite where I put my water pump, which hasn't had one stone hit yet as the water tank protects it. Another mod for when I get home again.........

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Moto Mech
I think your strut in photo is up side down & won't lubricate the shaft enough. Hence they will fail too soon.
Otherwise all looks good mate.
jvp
I agree with @jvp, @Moto Mech. I had the roof struts refitted on our van when repairs were carried out to our roof. In less than 12 months the roof would not stay up and it was because the struts had been mounted with the cylinder at the base and the piston up to the roof. I ended up with 4 new heavy duty struts under warranty and now the pistons face down.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Why bother, cool idea but in this day of bottle swaps not really a need just pick a well painted bottle, I swap at Bunnings, cheaper than recharging at $24. Mine live in the boot so I don't really care what they look like.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My holder adjusts to whatever bottle I use thankfully, on my camper I recall I had to mod my racks with an adjustable latch to cover that sort of thing but then the original was a pain anyway.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Bought a couple of these off ebay but am yet to fit them, instead of being a tank level gauge, you enter the tanks capacity to the screen and it counts the litres used. $89 each
image.jpg