17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I attached the sail track the same as @beecee It might be an optical illusion in the pic but the opening is facing out wards. Yes I did silicon and rivet the flat section to where the rubber seal goes and fitted the seal back in its original position over the top of the track. I did find that when fitting the seal back on it was easier to attach the ends first and then the long section as it needs to be stretched.

Got the Dremmel out yesterday and modified the track and the press studs fit ok now.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
If you look carefully at the pics, the opening faces down when the lid is open. That's how the instruction describe it.
image.jpg

Even if you pop rivet the track on the inside edge where the seal is, the track opening should still be facing down.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks @Marv_mart, mounting the sail track as you have, yes it faces down, however mounting internally, the surface is at 90 degrees and as such ends up facing backwards instead of downwards.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks @Marv_mart, mounting the sail track as you have, yes it faces down, however mounting internally, the surface is at 90 degrees and as such ends up facing backwards instead of downwards.
Don't agree, if you mount it on the opposite side, it still faces down. Spinning it around 180 degrees.
Don't think anybody is pop riveting it up on the underside of the edge

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I pop riveted mine to inside edge. There us a lip that the rubber seal goes over and the track is attached to that.
image.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Don't agree, if you mount it on the opposite side, it still faces down. Spinning it around 180 degrees.
Don't think anybody is pop riveting it up on the underside of the edge
If you fix the track to the inside edge where the rubber seal usually attaches, where does the rubber seal now attach to

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
You get three lengths of track when fitting cut from memory about 50mm of the end of each one

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
The rubber seal goes over the lip of the cover and the sail track. If you pull a bit of the seal off you can get an idea of how I attached mine. The seal is a press fit. It is pushed back over the the lip and track. Not at home to take a photo.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Can one of you handymen tell me what are the kit BEF individual track lengths

@Crusty181 if you measure your door, just the distance of the flat....... that would give you an idea of what lengths you would need to get

you can use the aluminum track - but it is a biatch to bend to follow the side contour
if you get the plastic (same as supplied from Jayco) easy as to fit

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 the kit comes with 2 x 2m and 4 x 1m lengths.

I cut around 100mm off the long and 50mm off the short
@Crusty181 if you measure your door, just the distance of the flat....... that would give you an idea of what lengths you would need to get

you can use the aluminum track - but it is a biatch to bend to follow the side contour
if you get the plastic (same as supplied from Jayco) easy as to fit
I don't get my van till next month, so unfortunately I couldn't measure it. I want to get what I needed before it arrives. I didn't realise the Jayco supplied track is plastic ..... interesting. Whats the verdict on plastic v alum

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
same same mate, just the plastic is easier to use and "bend" to suit the contour of the door
you can do it with the Alli, but is a lot harder to bend where and when you want.....

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Marv_mart , yes understand what you are getting at, however it's not possible to do it that way.

In order to attach and then replace the rubber it either has to go on the outside like yours or on the lip inside, which is how I just did it.

Because the edge of the lid is Aluminium channel, it actually came out extremely well with all of the rivets hidden under the rubber seal.

Takes a little bit longer, but looks much neater.

The edges probably slide in and out a little easier with the sail stack facing down, but I was still able to fit and remove the fly's by myself with this setup.