MDS69 - 14.44.4 OB At Home (Updated 15/06/15)

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
So I was playing around with the fridge this afternoon to chill it down as we are going away tomorrow. I have it on 240V and the thermostat on 4. At first it wasn't doing anything as I checked it an hour later and no change could be felt. I then started playing around and I don't know what I did but it is now working. Can someone please reply with their settings for 240V, 12V and when on gas.
This is for the 150L unit and based in Sydney if it makes any difference to thermostat settings. Thanks.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
So I was playing around with the fridge this afternoon to chill it down as we are going away tomorrow. I have it on 240V and the thermostat on 4. At first it wasn't doing anything as I checked it an hour later and no change could be felt. I then started playing around and I don't know what I did but it is now working. Can someone please reply with their settings for 240V, 12V and when on gas.
This is for the 150L unit and based in Sydney if it makes any difference to thermostat settings. Thanks.

We run ours on three and a half, outside temps have been 18 to 25, and that keeps it about four degrees, just fitted new temp gauge to make it easier. Fridge makes no noise, there not like your conventional house fridge, it's best to turn them on the day before.
Ps those above settings etc are either 240 or 12 it's work about the same on both.

Reactions: MDS69

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have hot air coming out of the outside vent after its been on awhile then it's working, if you don't have fans fitted it can take all day to cool.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
So we just had the long weekend and fortunately took delivery of our new van only 4 days prior so off we go for 3 nights of off the grid camping at Upper Colo River. We had actually booked this before we even ordered the van and was going to take our CT.
Anyway some pics.
On its maiden voyage leaving home Friday
DSCN0870_zps87977931.jpg

Set up in a nice spot. Not the one we wanted (we wanted the same as a previous visit) but it is first in first served and being the NSW school holidays some people had been there a while. Still good to try something different and it was closer to the river.
DSCN0873_zps2d9f8419.jpg

Some of the locals
DSCN0893_zpsd94d78bd.jpg
DSCN0898_zps2cbb25de.jpg
A spot of camp oven cooking over a fire.
DSCN0895_zps797be139.jpg

It was a great first up experience in the Expanda with one small issue (Jayco QC - the hot and cold water taps/pipes for the ext shower are the wrong way around) and another more concerning issue where I couldn't for the life of me get the fridge to work on gas. I have searched the forum but can't find an answer.
I chilled the fridge down on 240V prior to leaving home. I had the fridge on 12V whilst travelling. Turned on the gas at the bottle and followed the instructions on the fridge and as also shown and explained to me at handover 4 days prior and got the needle into the green zone but the fridge wouldn't cool. Ended up throwing our the perishables on Saturday. As we were only an hour from home I took off to get the ARB fridge from home and fit the aux battery, buy some more groceries and went back. I also took with me a T level that I hadn't fitted to the CT as I know gas fridges are finicky with levels. Levelled the van up and tried again and several other times over the weekend with no joy. Does anyone have any hints or tips.

When we packed up on Monday and left I walked around the van checking the hitch pin, chains, gas bottle off, legs up etc but had a nagging doubt there was something else. Drove away with a rattle wondering what it was. Got about 500m up the track and was watching my mirrors then realised I hadn't done up the roof latches oops.

The wife and kids loved it and so did I. Busy working out when and where we can go next. Only thing that makes this difficult is the kids play both summer and winter sports so it restricts it a bit.

What I did really like about this Expanda is that it didn't rain. Without a word of a lie whenever we took the CT out in the 3 years we used it (still have it actually) it rained at least once during any of the trips. It could be a 4 weeks trip or a 2 night trip, it would rain at least once.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
have a look underneath your van...... following the gas line......... there is 3 taps that I know of (dont have hot water at all on mine)
1 for the fridge
1 for the stove
1 for the gas bayonet point

make sure they are turned the right way........ sounds simple, but thats why my stove would not light - different tap.....
1 tap when open the handle was inline with the gas line
the other one when open, was at 90* to the gas line......... had to take it out to see which way was what - as I didnt notice the markings on it until putting it back in.

on my Flamingo, I disassembled the gas lines and blew air from a compressor through them backwards - got some lovely bits of swarf out of there.......

I too have forgotten the lid clamps...... thank you - I am not alone anymore

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and it probably wasn't long enough..........ditto on bigcol check the taps underneath and it's advsable to run your fridge and HWS for an hour or so before you head out intially to burn them in as they can stink like buggery for awhile when first used. I try to give mine a bit f a run to get rid of any wildlife.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
If the needle moves to the centre green section then I would think think the gas is flowing & it's lit. Maybe something wrong with the fridge? That upper colo is a nice place but I've been worried towing along the road as the track is real tight & if someone is coming the other way theres not much room...

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
New vans bah, humbug.............................nice and shiny, latest bits and pieces, ......................might be in need of a caravan show visit, the prices always make me happy with my old rig....................but I miss the fun of it all.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeah, its good fun working out what you want, what you can afford, what THEY will do.........
and then waiting for it to arrive

but I do love not having to pay all that money again...........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The waiting would kill me, I would have to buy off the lot......................more pics needed for us to get more envious of the mods you can do.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
well as I had posted earlier our fridge would light on gas but wouldn't cool. Yesterday I took it to an authorised Dometic fridge repairer who spent a bit of time fault finding. After about an hour and a half the fridge got pulled out and the gas line into the fridge disconnected. There is a brass fitting that reduces/adapts the Jayco installed copper line to the Dometic fridge. In Jaycos wisdom they didn't use thread tape but a paste which is a more than acceptable method but it looked like they dipped the adaptor into the tub of paste as it was 100% blocked. As said before the fridge would light as it uses a bypass circuit but it wouldn't allow a full flame to cool. Expanda is currently on the driveway with the fridge chilling down nicely. I wanted to get
this sorted quockly as we are booked for two nights at Lake Lyell on an unpowered site the weekend before xmas and seven nights on an unpowered site at Harrington Big 4 after xmas. Huge thumbs up to Bob and his mate at Ultimate Gas Refridgeration in Arndell Park near Blacktown for sorting me out.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
First service completed today. Had it done by Paul Tall in Londonderry. Dropped off at 8.30am and picked up at 3.00pm. Cheaper than Jayco too.