MDS69 - 14.44.4 OB At Home (Updated 15/06/15)

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Well what a day. Busted my arse to get out of Sydney on time at 11.00am and had the worst traffic to Newcastle for a long time.
Handover went well. Usual Jayco issues, privacy screen missing (they found another one but half the press studs needed installing), table leg was about 3 inched short so the table sloped towards the door (fitted another leg), issue with my 12 pin plug that was wired correctly but not how Jayco wanted it just had to move one wire. Later on when we hitched up the ESC lights were wrong. Open the plug up again and a loop needed to be installed. Got home at 7.00pm last night then had the kids climb in and all over it, very excited, then unhitch in the driveway get changed and bolt out the door for Oztag at 8.00pm.
Obligatory photos below. All I have for the moment.
IMG_0143_zps45bb708b.jpg

IMG_0144_zps5c36f984.jpg

@bigcol you are right a lot of info to take in. I was under prepared as I left half my paperwork at home and I didn't get a chance to put a checklist together from the excellent recommendations of this forum. I think we covered most of it. A bit of trial and error I reckon.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
With all the discussion on rear bar weights it was interesting to note that the OB Swift and OB Swan parked next to me both had the spare wheels on the rear bar. I looked under and took photos of the mounting and it is the same as the Expanda. The rear bar itself is a little different in that the Expanda pieces are butt welded and the others were mated differently but essentially where and how it attached to the chassis looks the same.

Does anyone know what size the grey water hose is. Can you get this from Bunnings.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
With all the discussion on rear bar weights it was interesting to note that the OB Swift and OB Swan parked next to me both had the spare wheels on the rear bar. I looked under and took photos of the mounting and it is the same as the Expanda. The rear bar itself is a little different in that the Expanda pieces are butt welded and the others were mated differently but essentially where and how it attached to the chassis looks the same.

Does anyone know what size the grey water hose is. Can you get this from Bunnings.
With our previous van, Penguin OB, the spare came mounted on the rear bumper!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
There are a few of us 14.44 owners on the forum already. Have fun!
By the way, RU shifting your spare to the rear?
Fold down carrier as described elsewhere here or underneath?
Mine is on the rear on a fixed bracket, no rear BE on the '5'

Reactions: Nagga's

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Same on the '4' @Marv_mart no drop down bed. There is a fixed bracket that looks OK
http://camec.com/jayco-spare-wheel-carrier-bolt-on.html

I haven't had a chance to crawl under it yet as it was dark when I got home and dark when I left for work this morning. I am mindful of the ball weight changing if I move the spare. I also want to carry pushbikes on the rear so need to look into this as well. I don't know if just a bike rack on the factory rear bar or a new rear bar is necessary due to fatigue issues etc. Will think about it for a while.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I moved my spare to the back and it was counterbalanced by the Honda genny up front.......or extra XXXX cartons...lol.

Today I bought a new sullage hose from The Green Shed, $9 for 10m, just cut a bit of plastic hose as a joiner if it doesn't fit your outlet and the same bit of hose can be used as a joiner if you chop the hose in half for easier use. You could spend $30 or more for the same thing but has a fancy brand name.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Same on the '4' @Marv_mart no drop down bed. There is a fixed bracket that looks OK
http://camec.com/jayco-spare-wheel-carrier-bolt-on.html

I haven't had a chance to crawl under it yet as it was dark when I got home and dark when I left for work this morning. I am mindful of the ball weight changing if I move the spare. I also want to carry pushbikes on the rear so need to look into this as well. I don't know if just a bike rack on the factory rear bar or a new rear bar is necessary due to fatigue issues etc. Will think about it for a while.
May need to look at clearance of wheel when going over rough bits?
My choice for rear wheel bracket:
image.jpg

Reactions: MDS69

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
for preference @Marv_mart I would make the "cross piece" at the top shorter
so the tyre sits against the "upright" and the bumper.............

strength and durability

I know it is probably made to be strong enough, but, I like to "over engineer" everything.............

Reactions: Drover

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
for preference @Marv_mart I would make the "cross piece" at the top shorter
so the tyre sits against the "upright" and the bumper.............

strength and durability

I know it is probably made to be strong enough, but, I like to "over engineer" everything.............
Agree but not home made, I don't have the equip or skills to make my own.
(Former College principal, IT systems and data analyst)
Bought mine from Dario's caravans and repairs here in Adelaide.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Hello @Marv_mart , I luv that jerry can & cage setup on the front of your Expanda. Can you explain if you got this custom made or welded yourself, what you used.?
My son runs a car service garage and he designed and made it when his work shop was a bit quiet over a couple of Saturdays. Only specs were to leave enough clearance for the basket which I made and that once JCs in holders, that the front BE could still be lowered. Have photos that show stage by stage development if you want me to post them.
His bright idea to cut out little bits so that the JC holders would sit flat.

Reactions: Ss--ss and dagree