Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well people, Ian's naturally know the good places to be. And being cheeky comes naturally also. ( I really should look for a having a shower at Teewah pic, Crustycon would be thrilled, @PhilD would have ammo for a month.........)

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Well people, Ian's naturally know the good places to be. And being cheeky comes naturally also. ( I really should look for a having a shower at Teewah pic, Crustycon would be thrilled, @PhilD would have ammo for a month.........)
With my earlier mention of an Insurance dispute it's not a good look to mention me and ammo in the same sentence, but I assume that you are talking about people making an a**e of themselves.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
33212-71d074262c6384d03c0699eb0a021cb7.jpg
Morning workers......

"Bar Stewards".... I'm back to work tomorrow :(

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
As far as I'm concerned there's 2 types of workers. There's those that are employed for a days work and get paid for it, then there's those that are now supposedly retired but wonder how they ever had time to go to regular work AND complete all they have to do at home AND don't collect any pay for it all.

I'm supposedly retired.

Apart from things that need doing to get the car and van in to touring mode I can't wait for the Wet Season to end and get moving West.

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
Maybe I should start a thread "Bad afternoon" to counter this one :frusty:

Where we live we are on one street but our Son lives just around the corner but his place backs on to us and we have a common boundary of about 30 metres. This is convenient as caravan access to our back yard is through his place and makes it quite secure. There's another block in between us on the corner that we also own and is a rental. We recently received our Insurance renewals and are now lumped with separate amounts for flood coverage that wasn't there before. Previously we were under the NT Govt owned Insurance Office and they had a flat coverage for all events but the dear leaders we have sold them off and the new interstate owners have decided on values associated with the level of risk for individual properties. This would be fine if it was based of factual evidence. So, in our renewals for around here both ours and our sons property have the lowest level of risk apparently but the in-between one is high risk according to them and has a $2200 higher charge just for flood coverage. No maps or anything else to justify it were provided. As much as I don't want to abuse the staff member in the middle the stress level is rising rapidly. I've challenged the charge and late today they sent a reply. Somehow it is MY responsibility to employ a Hydrologist to write up a report, with references to 1 in 100 year flood possibilities to refute their assessment. This is in the middle of a suburban area but somehow adjacent properties can have widely differing flood potentials. If one was on a creek or river frontage and the next door one was higher up it might make sense but the nearest water way is in the next suburb and the 3 blocks are all on a very flat area.

Next week will be fun but may need to get a prescription for a large supply of Valium. My nickname of Grumpy will be lived up to and our local MP who was one of those who voted for the sell off will be having a visit.

If you contact your local council they should be able to provide you with a copy of the survey that was done. I am sure they will charge you for it but will be less than the premium the insurance co wants to rip you off with. Not sure of your location but if you have underground drainage they would have needed to have done some sort of survey to see what volume of water the drains need to be capable of taking. :rain::fish2:

Reactions: bigcol

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
If you contact your local council they should be able to provide you with a copy of the survey that was done. I am sure they will charge you for it but will be less than the premium the insurance co wants to rip you off with. Not sure of your location but if you have underground drainage they would have needed to have done some sort of survey to see what volume of water the drains need to be capable of taking. :rain::fish2:
The problem here is that this Council didn't exist before this township was started in 1982 under a Government body and the only flood that this eventual Council investigated anywhere here happened on Australia Day 1988 and didn't affect the property concerned. That matter was dealt with and some improvements were made and that particular spot hasn't flooded anywhere near like that since. I know this because we were the 3rd house occupied in this suburb in late 1982 and the block in question right next to us wasn't built on till a couple of years. I've always regretted not buying it when it was vacant as I could have had the shed I really wanted and now would have had much easier caravan access.

As to local drains etc coping with rain here, apart from leaf litter etc occasionally blocking grates the drains are well capable of coping with tropical wet seasons. The best recent example was Cyclone Carlos in February 2011 that formed as a category 1 right over Darwin Harbour and was basically stationary as a 1 for 3 days. In the week it hung around we had a bit in excess of 800mm in my gauge and not a sign of flooding in the streets. Rainfall of that amount in most Southern cities would have been a major flood event whereas here and many other tropical places it's around normal and usually drains away quite quickly. The areas that did flood were mainly creeks and rivers, especially where high tides also can come in to play. Apart from a couple of regular flood spots just to our North in Darwin flooding isn't much of a problem, but they also have some issues with some areas that one day will have a combination of high tides and storm surge that are yet to have full effect. The Darwin coastal region has tide variations of up to 8 metres so with lower tides most times the flood ways drain away readily.

Reactions: iadizajy and Drover

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey @Crusty181 ... I didn't forget your request to get a pic of the shunt wiring (Did forget about letting you know!) :oops:

Pulled things apart when we got home from Busselton to get the pic and couldn't find the damn thing... Then remembered you have the drifter control and we have the TDS Solar Reg with Coast to Coast Tank and Battery Monitor (Wired direct and forgot no shunt needed) o_O

At least I managed to clean out the dead ants from behind the panels :D