Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and I think its bad for just two of us, in fact you can have a whole house at Rainbow Beach for those sort of prices some even less and they aren't shacks either....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
$127 not bad for a family..
If you look down Bellarine etc Christmas it $200 a night bringing your own van.
Wonder how much it go up next year. The Murray free camping will be crazy you think.
The Murray wasn't so bad this Xmas just gone. There are the same hordes of folk that are standing room only every year in certain spots. They flock to the beaches because they have boats etc, and stay relatively close to towns for the constant supply runs for fuel and booze. If you don't require the towns or direct water access via the beaches it wasn't so bad

New years day, no a sole near us .... (Could have walked around naked, only if that's your thing of course ;))

org_a0e1e5f1f4765472_1609662682000.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just had a lookie at the Inland Railway updates, the Gowrie to Helidon section news................ 5 years ago we sold our paddock in the tinder box Lockyer Valley for reasons of the amount of work needed and not wanting to do it in retirement, while we knew the Toowoomba By Pass was coming it wasn't an incentive that much, even though we went from being miles away from a main drag to half a Km, it is in a huge cutting, they had been talking about a new railway line for donkeys, now it seems its not all that far off and the damn thing looks like it would run between the new ByPass and right down our back fence and even with a ridge between it and the house a rumbling coal train would not be nice.........................I'm extra glad we moved.......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I reckon if it does the job, youv'e tuned it to your needs so it works well for you and its not falling to bits why change if just the shine has worn off ??? I look at Big Mal at times, parked beside a river with some really flash vans nearby looking all sparkly then I think Mal has been fine tuned over the last 7 years, has a few been there scars, do I really want to start again and can I trust the newby, thats all before I think, Can I sell the house to get enough money to buy a new rig ????

Folk still wander up to ask about things I did to Mal and I must admit it does look a bit like me, been around the block but still going strong.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
as your kids grow up, they will remember the fun times they had camping, the stories, the adventures, the weather, the disasters. They are unlikely to remember what model van, what length it was, or whether it had a separate toilet and shower.

take care
Mike

Last edited:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G’day @Bluey, yes, your kids are growing so you think you need a bigger van but suddenly those same kids are fully grown and possibly don’t want to go camping with mum and dad. You find you have a large van that you and Mrs Bluey rattle around in with space to spare. Do you then have to buy another van to downsize?
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Yea its not that its lost any shine its still pretty clean just thinking size wize as my kids arent getting any smallar i dont know as they say in classics when in dought do nothing a 20 slid out lounge seperate dunny shower more room inside but our van works as well.... no one can work this out but me i reckon....but if im haveing second thoughts are they pros of a full height van worth the hassel thats what i need to work out
My kids moved out into tents as they wanted their own space. My son has a Swag he wants to sleep in and my daughter a tent. The only thing we want no is an ensuite bu that can wait for now.
I agree with Drover, if it does the job and you know what you have got is it worth the effort?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
if you can get by with what you have stay with it. Prices high at the moment although you get more selling.
I say ours worth what we paid for as bunk vans selling crazy $.

Luke get big now and complaining about his bunk in triple bunk..
Might be time for a swag for him then get the table back and move Connor :)
otherwise might do stretcher in annex.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Bluey , the kids can cause angst but rest assured it won't be long till they would rather stay at home or if the pull of watching Dad fall out of the boat is strong they will prefer the swag outside..............then they discover girls/boys and you won't want to leave them at home and if you buy another debt how will you buy them cars and motorbikes in a few years ????? .............. Decisions, decisions..if you own it, keep it..........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Look what I found @Bluey , I knew I did a How To on this......................... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reactions: Bluey

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Yes @Bluey the old upgrade question. We have a 14.44-4OB so bunks on the back wall. Our daughter turned 18 fairly recently so don’t expect her to come on every trip anymore and the boy is 15 and struggles to fit in the bunk bed comfortably so he got a swag for Christmas. Whilst I did initially want to upgrade there is nothing wrong with our van and the next upgrade will be the retirement van but that is still probably 10-11 years away unfortunately.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm going on hearsay really, my lot progressed from sleeping bags on ground in tents to stretchers in tents, of course they had their own personal 2 man tents as they would fight and argue about snoring an smells, our camp sites out bush or at beach were spread out with a big cammy net over the lot....seperation worked well for a happy camp though Mrs D would have liked me in my own tent as she spread this rumour I snored.... Never used a camp ground.
At one camp a friend of ours was worried about this growling in the bush, my eldest informed her its Stuart, his brother, thats why his tent is furthest out..oh the memories...Big Mal might be big but only room for 2 or we'd be knee deep in grandkids.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I think about it a Silverado 2500 with a 25ft 5th wheeler behind is what you need Blue Dog....you are just starting to get to the fun times and we had 4 to feed......

Reactions: Bluey and mfexpanda