JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
1800(L)600(W)*500(H) square. Its the biggest off the shelf 2.5mm box I could find

www.g7australia.com.au in QLD, about $650 delivered to Melb. Im pretty impressed with it

Thanks mate, still have to decide on front setup with the new van. Gas bottles in the box or outside the box. Spare wheel in back on the A frame of the 20.64.1ob. Also was thinking of carrying a couple of bikes on the front.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Dry run with the giant tool box.
3 decent sized chairs
2 awning sunscreens
Shower tent
2kW Generator
Coleman HWS
Satellite stand
With enough room left for
Ramps
Ext leads
Hoses
Annex matting
Annex or Picnic table or maybe both
2015-07-03 16.43.53.jpg
Because we ditched the slide out lounge due to the weight, we save 100kg from the Tare. All of that weight reduction was in front of the axles, this in turn reduced the ball weight to (IMHO) a potentially dangerous, and certainly uncomfortable,145kg. We did demand that 100kg reduction be added bak to the ATM, and we had the van rebadged to carry 600kg. So its ended up perfect setup for a giant tool box chockers full of stuff sitting on the drawbar.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The loaded up draw bar alum tool box and relocated gas bottles has added around 75kg to the ball weight. Im still 30kg under the max with around a third of a tank more water in the front tank.

It worth considering the weight increases before adding a tool box. We ditched the slide out lounge in our model which resulted in an uncomfortably light ball weight. We also had the plated ball weight max increased. Without our "adjustments" and unusually light front end, the tool box on the draw bar would have pushed the weight way past the ball max. Looks cool tho
2015-07-30 14.53.24.jpeg

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Without our "adjustments" and unusually light front end, the tool box on the draw bar would have pushed the weight way past the ball max
@Crusty181 that's actually a really good point, I have been worried about trying to keep down the ATM with the 18.58.1 for resale. But in real terms with the extras I've ordered and the extended drawbar it will definitely be above the ATM of 2500kg. It has the large fridge up towards the front and the current specs show it as having a 190kg ball weight, they have said that they are moving the axles slightly forward on the production model to improve it. But I definitely want a toolbox on the drawbar, should I up the ATM weight to allow for the toolbox?

The tool box is something that was definitely missing on the last van and really, I just want to be as cool as you @Crusty181

By the way that's not THE van with the "ducted diesel heater" is it?????

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 that's actually a really good point, I have been worried about trying to keep down the ATM with the 18.58.1 for resale. But in real terms with the extras I've ordered and the extended drawbar it will definitely be above the ATM of 2500kg. It has the large fridge up towards the front and the current specs show it as having a 190kg ball weight, they have said that they are moving the axles slightly forward on the production model to improve it. But I definitely want a toolbox on the drawbar, should I up the ATM weight to allow for the toolbox?

The tool box is something that was definitely missing on the last van and really, I just want to be as cool as you @Crusty181

Yes @AzHaych, there it is in the flesh. You can't readily see the diesel heater because of the quality subtle installation, but your sharp eye leads me to a very important announcement. Just when you thought it was safe to mention "diesel heaters" in mixed company, Ive discovered a diesel heater add-on.

A remote mobile phone module that allows you to call the heater and have a chat with it .... plus turn it on. How cool is that, it even gets its own phone number. Picture this; Im sitting out side under the awning enjoying a Moet & Chandon and reading the latest Expandas Downunder instalment, when I start to feel the bite of the night air. I simply ring my friendly diesel heater and politely ask it to turn itself on. Some ideas are just good, some other are brilliant.
$T2eC16VHJHwFG1Kcgw4(BSeE!Yy5qg~~60_12.JPG

Keep talking like that @AzHaych, and I might send you some original HD forum pics

The higher the ATM the better I think, so long as its within the cars capacity. Anything that increases the limited carrying capacity Jayco allow is a good thing. We had the slide out lounge deleted to save 100kg in TARE weight, but I had that reduction add that back to the ATM, so we have 600kg carrying capacity. Get them to increase the ball max, they didn't offer any resistance when I requested that; they just did it

Last edited:

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Keep talking like that @AzHaych, and I might send you some original HD forum pics

"HD forum pics"????:eek-53: I assume we're still talking about this forums pics @Crusty181? I am a massive fan of your mods bud, but lets keep it contained to caravan mods!

The higher the ATM the better I think, so long as its within the cars capacity. Anything that increases the limited carrying capacity Jayco allow is a good thing.
The Disco has a ball weight of 350kg, so would I ask for the ball weight to read 300kg?