AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
A remote mobile phone module that allows you to call the heater and have a chat with it .... plus turn it on. How cool is that, it even gets its own phone number. Picture this; Im sitting out side under the awning enjoying a Moet & Chandon and reading the latest Expandas Downunder instalment, when I start to feel the bite of the night air. I simply ring my friendly diesel heater and politely ask it to turn itself on. Some ideas are just good, some other are brilliant.

I dare you to do this! How cool would that be. My wife affectionately says to me "you're a wanker" when I talk about the mods that I want to do to the van.....If I installed a remote module so I could "ring" the diesel heater in the van....this would take things to a WHOLE new level!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I dare you to do this! How cool would that be. My wife affectionately says to me "you're a wanker" when I talk about the mods that I want to do to the van.....If I installed a remote module so I could "ring" the diesel heater in the van....this would take things to a WHOLE new level!
I hear you. That term of affection echos around my place fairly regularly. If someones wife yelled out Mod Wanker at a group meet .... there'd be 100% of the male heads spinning around.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Disco has a ball weight of 350kg, so would I ask for the ball weight to read 300kg?
In theory you should get it plated at 350kg max to match your car. If it was plated at 300kg and you went one kg over, the van is technicality overloaded, but still within the cars capacity. But that's all theoretical because youd have to take into account how much of the Discos max ball weight as you increase the weight of what yuo put into the car ..... so realistically 300kg would probably be ample

Reactions: bigcol and AzHaych

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What started off as a simple clean up of the dangly tank filler pipes has evolved into what feels like an all consuming rebuild of the entire plumbing system The adhoc way the plumbing is installed is asking for it to be damaged, plus it generally has annoyed the bejesus out of me.
Ripped the dangly pipes and then I was overcome with "mod fever'ittis"
20150805_141111.jpg 20150805_141125.jpg became the ...... 20150806_174927.jpg (some more to do with that yet)

20150805_125919.jpg Became this ..... 20150806_174622.jpg freeing up a large storage area that I wall off from the hoses.

20150806_174641.jpg running all the pipes into the HWS/pump area where their better protected under the floor and importantly inside the chassis rail, not outside and looped under the chassis rail. Im pretty confident, when the mods are finished, that the tank connections cannot be damaged, and regardless of where we drag this van our water will be safe. Interconnecting pipes are exposed, but they are all higher than the tank connection which are enclosed

20150805_135441.jpg stuck this to the back of the water filler box to give it some substance

20150806_174657.jpg Click on sealed tanks filler points .... stop filling when the water comes out the breather

20150805_155525.jpg Ive added to the tank guard's width by sliding in a section on the kerb side 20150805_164302.jpg

When the plumbing is complete and all connections fitted, Ill slide the original tank guard across to the kerb side chassis rail completely covering and protecting the tank connections, and the small section slid in at the other end will extend the width of the guard to fill the gap created at the other, road side end

20150807_143908.jpg Ive ditched most of the PVC waste pipe and I was initially going to replace it all with the 25mm clear, but Ive decided to replace it all with 25mm black garden poly pipe. Under full laboratory conditions I tested the 3 pipe sections by the universally accepted method of firing some 3inch framing nails at them in close quarters .... the first casualty was the PVC. Both the clear and poly took some dedicated and repeated accurate effort to penetrate. The poly is straight, fits through the chassis cross member sections, seems (from my testing) to be upto the task, is way cheaper, easier to work with, easier to replace and repair, and Im struggling to workout why Jayco use the clear .... which encourages mould anyway

Ive started replacing all the loops and bends on all the piping with elbows, particularly the John Guest. This helps a lot to keep the pipes from looping low and keeping them snug against the underfloor. I presume the elbows may be more easy damaged, but having the pipe sit higher should offset that a little.

20150807_143306.jpg The poly runs nice and straight, very easy to hide behind the cross members

20150807_145318.jpg Diesel fuel tank mounted to the tool box, yet to be fitted with a check protective cover

Still very much a work in motion with much more to do, but I think it will be worth the effort as far as protecting the underfloor pipe work

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Crustinator.... as a "pipe" guy... that's a work of art. Really cleaned up well. I've often looked at the pipes under our van and thought "geez, I know they build these on a budget, but how much nicer and safer would it be to tuck things away better, with better connectors". And that's exactly what you've gone an done... A doff my cap to you sir.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@Crusty181

Same van and my piping looked better organised from factory than your's but nothing worth boasting about I can tell ya!

Were you getting mould in the pipes as well by the sound of things right near the tank refill?

A lot of effort you have put into re organising the plumbing but I guarantee you won't regret it at all...looks like a professional job there mate :eagerness:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh so envious Mr Crusty, I started but ended up shaking my head and just put some chaff sleeves on and bundled them up out of the way, I will now have to do a full refit now as yours looks so good. My mud flaps over the tank connections worksa treat though.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
What started off as a simple clean up of the dangly tank filler pipes has evolved into what feels like an all consuming rebuild of the entire plumbing system The adhoc way the plumbing is installed is asking for it to be damaged, plus it generally has annoyed the bejesus out of me.
Ripped the dangly pipes and then I was overcome with "mod fever'ittis"

@Crusty181 thats a Pro Hart turned into a Claude Monet! Very very nice......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181

Same van and my piping looked better organised from factory than your's but nothing worth boasting about I can tell ya!

Were you getting mould in the pipes as well by the sound of things right near the tank refill?

A lot of effort you have put into re organising the plumbing but I guarantee you won't regret it at all...looks like a professional job there mate :eagerness:
A bit of mould in the sink waste. Between the sink an the outlet the pipe material change between clear and pvc 3 times with some inexplicable bends ... like theyd run out of the right bits.

Reactions: skippy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Oh so envious Mr Crusty, I started but ended up shaking my head and just put some chaff sleeves on and bundled them up out of the way, I will now have to do a full refit now as yours looks so good. My mud flaps over the tank connections worksa treat though.
Im stealing that rubber flap idea for those bits impossible to tuck away and hide

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
A bit of mould in the sink waste. Between the sink an the outlet the pipe material change between clear and pvc 3 times with some inexplicable bends ... like theyd run out of the right bits.

Mine is clear as well near the sink but I can't recall any mold like you mention. I will have a look when I get home from work just to confirm.
I have been getting allot of mold on the pipes that run from the filling ports to the tanks, it’s got me beat why they use clear piping when these lines will be in direct sunlight which then get mold growing inside due to the UV rays.
I might have to steal your idea as well to try and get back some more storage room to add a Dometic diesel heater at a later date. Don’t know anyone that could recommend one of theses do ya? :rofl:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Mine is clear as well near the sink but I can't recall any mold like you mention. I will have a look when I get home from work just to confirm.
I have been getting allot of mold on the pipes that run from the filling ports to the tanks, it’s got me beat why they use clear piping when these lines will be in direct sunlight which then get mold growing inside due to the UV rays.
I might have to steal your idea as well to try and get back some more storage room to add a Dometic diesel heater at a later date. Don’t know anyone that could recommend one of theses do ya? :rofl:
It may be sink crud in the pipes ... ill double chk too. Ive reclaimed enough space i can fit the annex in under the seat along with the rubber floor. Im pretty sure i read someone thought those diesel heaters were borderline ok :D

What year is your van, do you not have the slide out lounge??

Found this neat T-shirt .... no particular reason, just thought id share
4092250.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Do you have a coffee machine ?????? Give it a clean and pour the stuff down the van sink, oh happy days, goobers all gone...................Drovers Tip # 469.
Are you kidding .... Im addicted to coffee. One machine at home and one at the factory. I drink coffee till it pours out me ears. Am i risking destroying the mystique if i ask why, for, how

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Do you have a coffee machine ?????? Give it a clean and pour the stuff down the van sink, oh happy days, goobers all gone...................Drovers Tip # 469.

Mmmm no gobbers or mould but SWMBO mentioned that she users a water down bleach to clean the sink pipe. Might have to use some bleach on the other hose from the shower waste because when installing the one way valve last weekend I noticed that there was mould in that one too.
Or maybe use tip 469 @Drover next time!

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
It may be sink crud in the pipes ... ill double chk too. Ive reclaimed enough space i can fit the annex in under the seat along with the rubber floor. Im pretty sure i read someone thought those diesel heaters were borderline ok :D

What year is your van, do you not have the slide out lounge??

Found this neat T-shirt .... no particular reason, just thought id share
View attachment 34455
We had one of the first 20.63-1OB slide outs and she is 2013 vintage.
Best van we have owned so far and yes there are a few miner problems but overall quite happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181