mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
yeah I know.. I looked around other options people did was get a longer arm. Some put a second one on in the middle of the door.
Yes you think when you design a van on a 3D CAD model it would show things like this. :)
Jayco is not the only one that has doors and window use clash . When we were looking at all sorts of makes and models it was quite a regular thing to see. Even seen windows where the annex wall tracks would run and wall air cons with the outside fan in the annex

Reactions: Flossymk1

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jayco is not the only one that has doors and window use clash . When we were looking at all sorts of makes and models it was quite a regular thing to see. Even seen windows where the annex wall tracks would run and wall air cons with the outside fan in the annex
Ive seen one annex wall track that bent around the window like a banana, and another where the track was cut above and below the window, and the annex wall run up over the window itself. I suppose you could see both who is in the annex and who was approaching, at the same time.

With 20.63.1 as Flossy mentioned, the left hung door (from their already on hand stock) is a much better alternative to not only the window, but usable annex space. Only a minor adjustment to the awning arm and repositioning the awning fabric on the roller .... but maintaining stupidity is a stronger driver than a little common sense.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I know how insulting it is to invent a great idea, only to have some smuck (after the fact) pretend to have made it sooooooo much better.

Oh well; Im going to do it anyway.

Ive stolen @Shane Norwell fantastic drop jack extension idea. I measured the legs internal at about 34mm, but the next size down steel SHS was 30mm ext leaving it a little rattly. The first idea was to tack 30mm angle together which would add 2mm to the overall 30mm dimension, but I discovered that aluminium for some odd reason has slightly different dimensions to steel .... and in the case of the drop jack, a 32mm x 3mm alum SHS is a nice snug fit, and very light.

Im hoping that the pins won't flog out the holes in the alum over time. The length of the extended drop jack is now 900mm.

2015-04-23 12.55.54.jpg 2015-04-23 12.56.14.jpg 2015-04-24 12.29.42.jpg

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Putting this on my to-do list now @Crusty181 ..

Already on my "To do list".... Got the D-wire clips and dragged some 35mm Duragal Tube out of the shed last weekend only to find what @Crusty181 found when measuring. No 30mm in the shed so packed things away (and had another beer!!!!!).

Going to see if I can "knock" a short length of 35mm inside the existing leg and use it as a sleeve...... Or I just might borrow @Crusty181 's idea ;)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Time will tell if the 3mm alum will be thick enough to resist flogging out the pin holes

I think it'll take a long time to show signs of flogging out @Crusty181 specially if it's a decent bit like T6 grade etc. but it can only wear a little before there is no more room for movement of you get my drift?

In saying that I used the 30mm steel and even though it's a "rattley good" fit it doesn't seem to be an issue. I certainly wouldn't be screwing around with angle for 2mm.

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive been doing some chipping away at my tank water problem, and the Nagambie weekend catchup reminded me I still can't get my tank water out whilst connected to the mains. I had 2 full tanks of the best drinking water in the world, beautiful Melb water which I can't get to, and the water quality in Nagambie was crap.

Id previously spoken to Jayco tech support, Setec (manufacturers of the Drifter), the dealers service guys, and finally the one who had the most knowledge as it turned out ... my budgie.

I was trying to break down the Drifter function and the toilet pump override. Setec were very helpful with their end but had no clue what Jayco do to get the water pump to bypass the Drifter battery switch. After trying to get some qualified and quantified advice direct from Jayco tech support, it was ever so painfully apparent that Jayco is not sophisticated enough to have done any complex circuitry etc, so the solution must therefor be simple ... Jayco simple. It dawned on me its likely the toilet is nothing more than a direct and independent short across the battery direct to the pump.

Whilst not connected to mains pressure, and with the pump turned off I flicked the hand basin tap on; when I flushed the toilet the basin tap ran. Too easy, and thanks Jayco you simpletons.

The plan was always to adapt some kind of integrated way of accessing the tank water without having to leave the van, disconnect the mains, install a hand pump, and I wanted to use the existing configuration if possible and not add additional switches or manual valves.

I found and ordered a 20mm 12v "NO" solenoid rated at 1250kPa that drawers only half an amp when active, to install inside the van directly behind the main pressure hose connection point. Being "normally open", it remains idle, unpowered and open in normal mains pressure connections when the pump isn't required. Because of the low half amp draw of the solenoid, I can connect it directly to the water pump for power, so when the water pump is activated by the existing Drifter pump switch the solenoid automatically closes off the mains and the pump then draws the good water straight from the tanks .... and this all happens automatically when I flick the pump switch on. Switch the pump off and we automatically go back to mains pressure.

The only foreseeable issue is when the toilet is flushed, the pump will activate the solenoid and the mains pressure will momentarily be shut off for the duration of the flush ... about 2 seconds I suppose. The toilet draws from the tanks anyway, so I can live with that momentary "flushing" disconnection from the mains.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yes @chartrock, Im all over that. My renewed "mains bypass solution vigor" started at Nagambie, after a long period of 'out of sight, out of mind'

The conversation went something like this

Mrs Crusty "hey you, this water tastes like your socks, get out in the sub zero temp and turn off the mains"

After we turned off the mains tap to pack up at Nagambie we ran the sink tap from the pump for about 5 sec or so, and the sock water was replaced by the liquid cold gold

How will you know when you are getting tank water to the tap?
The short answer to that one? When the whinging stops o_O

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Eberspacher Dometic diesel heater arrived in a big box with lots of small bits and pieces. The mounting spot was decided ... and 136 triple checks in, on, and under the van ... and the 125mm then bored through the floor.

Working out where to put it and the vents was without doubt the biggest time component. Ill finish of the rest tomorrow. Should be pump'in out hot air by lunchtime

2015-05-28 14.35.01.jpeg

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
The Eberspacher Dometic diesel heater arrived in a big box with lots of small bits and pieces. The mounting spot was decided ... and 136 triple checks in, on, and under the van ... and the 125mm then bored through the floor.

Working out where to put it and the vents was without doubt the biggest time component. Ill finish of the rest tomorrow. Should be pump'in out hot air by lunchtime

View attachment 32675
we need pics

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
What? Wasnt a picture of the cardboard delivery box enough ??

Patience !!!!. I'm taking snaps of each stage of the installation ... including setting fire to the van and burn it to the chassis :flame:
1 pic is never enough .
our ac worked great on heating on the weekend