Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My beautiful Melbourne tank water has finally been liberated ... the 12v NO solenoid has been fitted to the mains pressure just inside the filler box. Its wired directly to the 12v water pump. When the pump is switched on the 1250kPa 0.5amp solenoid shuts of the mains pressure automatically, opening up again when the pump is turned off.

Works really well, and only needs a few seconds to flush the line. The pump is fused already, and the solenoid only adds 0.5amps

Its a little untidy, but now i know it works ill permenantly plumb it in and fuse it
1511.jpg 1512.jpg

Reactions: GregW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
ALERT !!! I was a little premature with dissing the diesel heater pump. The dosing (ticking) pump has to positioned on a 20odd deg angle, and is housed in a rubber single bolt mount. Some idiot (I suspect my imaginery friend Daryl) attached a small metal bracket thinking it might help keep the rubber mount at 20deg. (completely unnecessary .... we all knew at the time)

The bouncy drive up bounced the pump about as you would expect in the rubber mount, and without the added bracket would have been fine, but with the bracket let the pump rest againt the bracket sending that amplified ticking right through the vans chassis.

Remove the bracket, and remove the problem!!!!!!. Only problem now is im not being kept awake by the pump, im being kept awake trying to listen to see if i can hear the bloody thing (which ironically, i cant)

Moral of the story, never let your imaginery friends help .... especially Daryl (its not the first time he's cocked stuff up)

Last edited:

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
The only smell you should get is when it starts up, when it is running there should be no smell at all. I can hold my hand cupped in front of the exhaust for say 20sec and have no diesel smell on my hands at all. You can get intake mufflers aswell, I think after it has started up there is more noise coming from the intake than the exhaust.

Reactions: Crusty181

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
when we first got our van I didn't know not to have the drifter off to get mains water so silly me connected to mains but using water in my tanks cause drifter on water pump on meant not using mains even if it was connected hope that made sense

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
when we first got our van I didn't know not to have the drifter off to get mains water so silly me connected to mains but using water in my tanks cause drifter on water pump on meant not using mains even if it was connected hope that made sense
@Bluey, you cant 'not' get mains pressure even when the pump is turned on. With the pump switch turned on, youll get a mix of tank water and mains. That was part of my problem of not being able to get the tank water out without disconnecting the mains pressure ...... that was before the solenoid :) .... all good now. Works a treat

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Bluey, you cant 'not' get mains pressure even when the pump is turned on. With the pump switch turned on, youll get a mix of tank water and mains. That was part of my problem of not being able to get the tank water out without disconnecting the mains pressure ...... that was before the solenoid :) .... all good now. Works a treat
yes well now I keep it off as I have no water in my tanks at any time due to weight

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The only smell you should get is when it starts up, when it is running there should be no smell at all. I can hold my hand cupped in front of the exhaust for say 20sec and have no diesel smell on my hands at all. You can get intake mufflers aswell, I think after it has started up there is more noise coming from the intake than the exhaust.
Your right on with the air intake noise louder than the exhaust, but I still get a faint exhaust whiff every so often. I shoved the intake hose into a short length of pvc pipe with a 'T' on the end, and shoved a piece of foam from the bed egg shell underlay in the 'T' ... reduced the noise quite a bit
2015-06-01 13.15.51.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'll be thinking of your heater while we are at St George in a few weeks , it will be freezing. So in preparation I showed Mrs D your heater installation posts, so she should have a brilliant idea while we are St George, if not at Nindigully as it will be free camp..

Reactions: Sammy D

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'll be thinking of your heater while we are at St George in a few weeks , it will be freezing. So in preparation I showed Mrs D your heater installation posts, so she should have a brilliant idea while we are St George, if not at Nindigully as it will be free camp..
yes .... strategic planting the seeds for the transference of the brilliant idea. Unfortunately in my place that system is used on me with monotonous regularity, and I still never see it coming

Reactions: chartrock

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was up on the ladder adjusting the awning and noticed an odd'ment with the Snowflake Winegard. The roof base is the same identical base used with the old blade style Winegard, the one with the double square tubes .... no biggie you would think. But the Snowflake has only square tube, and its the lower one thats now missing ... and thats the one that rests in the base retainer to stop the thing dancing around the roof.

Without the lower square tube, the only thing holding the antenna in place is the plastic turning thing inside the van.
2015-06-12 13.50.43.jpg

I pop riveted a channel of 25mm alum onto the square tube and that now sits neatly into the base.
2015-07-02 16.05.04.jpg 2015-07-02 16.16.28.jpg

I also notice that the roof is a skin of fibreglass thats not actually stuck down. The entire roof skin held in place by the external trim, and the airman and vents. The Winegard rest sit neatly between roof ribs and just bounces on the fibreglass skin, not helped by the missing tube

I added a cheapo plastic door stop to the tube directly over a roof rib
20150702_161709.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The giant drawbar box arrived today. Its only sitting there, but she's a whopper :o. As a bonus I can fit in it ... they'll never find me (yeah they will. Im claustrophobic so Ill be screaming my head off little a little girl at a Bieber concert. Damn, so much potential)

2015-07-02 14.41.44.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I was up on the ladder adjusting the awning and noticed an odd'ment with the Snowflake Winegard. The roof base is the same identical base used with the old blade style Winegard, the one with the double square tubes .... no biggie you would think. But the Snowflake has only square tube, and its the lower one thats now missing ... and thats the one that rests in the base retainer to stop the thing dancing around the roof.

Without the lower square tube, the only thing holding the antenna in place is the plastic turning thing inside the van.
View attachment 33495

I pop riveted a channel of 25mm alum onto the square tube and that now sits neatly into the base.
View attachment 33496 View attachment 33497

I also notice that the roof is a skin of fibreglass thats not actually stuck down. The entire roof skin held in place by the external trim, and the airman and vents. The Winegard rest sit neatly between roof ribs and just bounces on the fibreglass skin, not helped by the missing tube

I added a cheapo plastic door stop to the tube directly over a roof rib
View attachment 33498
I have salasticed a piece of white rubber from clark r to help and stop it banging on roof

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Interesting to see how your winegaurd is mounted @Crusty181
Had ours fitted at the dealer before pickup and they mounted a aluminium plate (Approx 500mm X 300mm X 6mm thick) to the roof then screwed the antenna base to that!

That box is HUGE!!!!!!!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Interesting to see how your winegaurd is mounted @Crusty181
Had ours fitted at the dealer before pickup and they mounted a aluminium plate (Approx 500mm X 300mm X 6mm thick) to the roof then screwed the antenna base to that!

That box is HUGE!!!!!!!!
Yeah ... may have over done the tool box .....:oops:

Reactions: dagree