Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@burnsie ... Is your fridge wired to the house battery/s? Would have thought you would have noticed battery drain if it was running from them!!!
Not sure why caravanland would turn it off during a service? Did have the plug pull out in ours on the shakedown trip and thought the worst when found the fridge not running!!!!!
Need to do the velcro trick for our seats as well.... Thanks for the reminder :eagerness:

Reactions: burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @dagree didn't check that yet, but assume it is as it is a compressor only fridge believe it works same as my portable one, you can plug both the 240v and 12v in at the same time and defaults to 240v but if this is not available then goes to 12v.

Assume as I had the 240v plugged into the van the battery was charging from that and that draw was not as noticeable?

Will check it out over the next few days and also have a read of the install manual :)

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If all else fails read the destruction's ;)

Forgot you had the two way fridge so makes sense now that it may have been off from day one!!!!

Reactions: burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Pulled the van out on the weekend, been meaning to clean the awning and get some of that mould off....once complete and still having the van out I thought I would start some additional mods in preparation for the lap.

Will probably create a new "How To" thread once complete and if it all works but been thinking of throwing a washing machine in the 17.56-2 for our lap, not essential I know but a nice to have especially with three young ones. Initial thread for this was created here

First task was to see if the thing would fit, so I took the cabinet apart, removed the shelf and heaps of screws and connectors and was left with this

IMG_3942.jpg

Next I had to work out if and how the below would fit into the above.

IMG_3943.jpg

Measuring it all up prior to purchase and disassembly told me it "should" fit.

In the end I had to take the cupboard apart a bit more than I initially thought, only because the blind from the window above was getting in the way....but.......success it slotted in perfectly like it was meant to be there.......

IMG_3945.jpg IMG_3947.jpg IMG_3948.jpg

Yes I know it takes up "a lot" of that cupboard but I will cut the shelf down that was in there and make up a smaller space next to it. It was mainly for my clothes anyway and I don't need to take heaps......

So next will the the plumbing which will involve cutting a couple of holes in the floor one for the cold water to get into the machine and the other will be for the waste. I believe it is better to have a 40mm pipe for this so it drains faster and doesn't clog up not sure though whether to use PVC or go with the plastic pipe? Also will tap into the cold water underneath to run the cold water in. Was thinking of putting a valve on the cold water which will sit just under the van so when we want to use the machine or park up for the day/week etc we open the valve to let the water in, just a safely thing in case water leaks etc, not sure if this is a standard thing on not on the machines in vans.....

Also going to get the bench either cut and modified or will get another one made up locally, have got the dimensions (thanks @davemc ) will probably make the opening a little bit smaller but should work well as we will still be able to use the bench as a bench when the machine is not in use. (or even possibly when in use)

So lets see how part two goes, will provide an update when I am working through it.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Washing Machine - Stage 2 & some other small additions

Well the day started with the following mods to complete

1. Install all the plumbing for the washing machine
2. Install new chain and padlock
3. Install some magazine holders

IMG_4025.JPG

So first off was to measure and drill some holes in the floor :o for the water & waste pipes, in the end it was nice and simple, the good old "measure twice cut/drill once" worked a treat

IMG_4028.JPG

Then it was a matter of tapping into the existing pipe work for a source of water and running it back through to the washing machine

IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4037.JPG IMG_4034.JPG

Unfortunately in an endeavour to try to ensure no leaks inside the cupboard I tightened the washing machine hose a little bit too tight and it snapped..........fortunately I called up Northside Caravan Repairs and the guys was there sorting out his own van he was building from scratch, looked awesome and better yet he had a spare hose so $15 later I was all sorted

IMG_4050.JPG

Next was the waste pipes, ended up using 32mm PVC which is bigger than what I thought, measured it all up and stuck it all together and braced it to the chassis. the big green shed had a perfectly fitting converter connector so I was able to feed the waste hose directly into the PVC. Will still have to get into clark rubber and cover the pipes but that is for another weekend as I need to stock up on cable ties as well.

IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4044.JPG IMG_4040.JPG

Plugged it all in and tested it out and it worked :) couldn't believe it

Final stage will be to make up some cupboard space with whats left in the cupboard and get the top sorted out with the opening etc.

Finished off with replacing the chain and lock

IMG_4049.JPG IMG_4048.JPG

And installing the magazine holders

IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4047.JPG

now time for a nice coldie and relax....

Last edited: