Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Busy boy @burnsie ... It's coming together nicely.
Got the same chain on the spare and a longer one wrapped around two of the van wheels!
Magazine holders.... Going to look for some at the C&C Show but where did you get yours from?

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We got two magazine holders when we picked up the van.

From the Jayco shop ...and I think they sell them online.

We've never used ours....forgot all about them.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
@burnsie I used lock nuts on the wheel carrier where it attaches to the bar and swivel bolt ??? just to make sure they don't come loose with vibration

Thanks @Bluey have some nyloc nuts and lock tight on it's way from a few purchases on eBay, will redo it with these once they arrive.

Busy boy @burnsie ... It's coming together nicely.
Got the same chain on the spare and a longer one wrapped around two of the van wheels!
Magazine holders.... Going to look for some at the C&C Show but where did you get yours from?

Thanks @dagree getting there, had a question for you actually my replacement number plate light has arrived trying to work out if people tapped into the wiring for the exisiting light from underneath or inside the van in the back storage area?

Also just got the holders off eBay but I am sure you could pick some up at the up coming show
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351255896438?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Reactions: Bluey and bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks @burnsie
Will look at the show but have saved the link just in case.
I tapped into the right hand tail light from underneath (Not the existing plate light)

Reactions: burnsie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
had a question for you actually my replacement number plate light has arrived trying to work out if people tapped into the wiring for the exisiting light from underneath or inside the van in the back storage area?

I tapped into the right hand tail light from underneath (Not the existing plate light)

I used the original wiring, fed it back out from underneath, added more wire to extend to the right hand side
twas easy as

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Was able to spare a couple of hours this morning and relocated the number plate.

I didn't realise but the ADR requirements meant I have to mount a light on either side of the number plate approx 28mm away from it to be compliant.

So mounted the light brackets and extended the wiring to meet the exisiting

IMG_4051.jpg IMG_4053.jpg

Thanks @dagree & @bigcol both suggestions were great, ended up sourcing the number plate wiring from underneath and tapped into that, (connected / soldered and heat shrink), was able to also keep the exisiting wiring in place in case I move it back

IMG_4058.jpg

Tested it out before finishing it all off and thank goodness I had lights (based on my searching of the web it looked like the white was for earth (ground) and brown was power so hooked it up that way)

IMG_4054.jpg IMG_4055.jpg IMG_4056.jpg

Finished off the cable runs and mounts

IMG_4059.jpg IMG_4062.jpg IMG_4063.jpg

And finally the end product

IMG_4065.jpg

Last edited:

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Just ordered one of these, hopefully with the upgraded suspension and bags I can get away without the WDH as currently it sits pretty level using the standard 50mm ball, but will see how it sits, if not will invest in the WDH adaptor. Would prefer not to cart around a full WDH kit which weighs quite a bit.

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 3.54.32 PM.png

Hey @dagree how does your site currently with your hitch and do you find it sways at all on the highway at higher speeds?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey @dagree how does your site currently with your hitch and do you find it sways at all on the highway at higher speeds?

Both van and Prado sit at plus or minus 3mm from original when hooked up and 26psi in the airbags.

"Touching Wood" before I answer.....
Haven't noticed any sways at all at any speed so far (Apart from the odd semi coming the other way).
Used to get a few small sways happening with the old 16' with WDH but nothing major.

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie