Bill's Jeep GC Laredo MY14

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Mine is also a 2012 model. It lost its way around 5,00K, did the intermittant start thing once or twice, I the had software updated and now with almost 30,000K it has not missed a beat. Looking for tyres fairly soon, I drew the short straw and got the Kumho tyres, my nephew got the Michelin's on his a year later. I think I might go for a set of Gealanders next but will keep researching.
Would I buy another Jeep? In a heart beat!!
Cheers
Dave

Reactions: Billrw136

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Mine is also a 2012 model. It lost its way around 5,00K, did the intermittant start thing once or twice, I the had software updated and now with almost 30,000K it has not missed a beat. Looking for tyres fairly soon, I drew the short straw and got the Kumho tyres, my nephew got the Michelin's on his a year later. I think I might go for a set of Gealanders next but will keep researching.
Would I buy another Jeep? In a heart beat!!
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have over 35,000k on mine and am still very impressed. Its slung with Kumho's as well, and are wearing well. I run my tyre pressures a little higher than recommended at 37psi and maybe that's why there wearing well? I have only hit the blacktop with them, mostly cause I bought this vehicle as my tug for the expanda, and haven't taken it off road as yet.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Looks great. I've got a granite crystal arriving in November. Mmm... perhaps I should have went the white. Keep us updated with any mods. Btw have you had any problems with the climate control and U connect?

No problems with either - 10th day of ownership today - 642km at an average of 8.8l/100km - very pleased - trip to Sydney yesterday - went very well - wife very comfortable, loved testing her heated seat! Called past dealer today - still no sign of towbar or reverse camera.....

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
Hi bill
Is there a lot of room in the second row and boot? As we have 2 kids in car seats with a third in the oven and I'm tossing up between the jeep or cruiser! As im not overly haapy with my patrol, The only thing I'm really concerned about is the space for all the kids seats and room in the back for the kids crap! Which the patrol has a plenty over but a snail would go up a hill faster than my patrol towing the expanda! I have been hearing some good reports about the grand Cherokee and yours does look awesome in white!

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi bill
Is there a lot of room in the second row and boot? As we have 2 kids in car seats with a third in the oven and I'm tossing up between the jeep or cruiser! As im not overly haapy with my patrol, The only thing I'm really concerned about is the space for all the kids seats and room in the back for the kids crap! Which the patrol has a plenty over but a snail would go up a hill faster than my patrol towing the expanda! I have been hearing some good reports about the grand Cherokee and yours does look awesome in white!

Hi kavs
they are not huge on room, i would say you could get all 3 across the back seat, but the luggage room behind would be smaller than the patrol for sure. If the cruiser has a third row of seats it would be tight also, maybe a decent roof rack for prams, toys, cots and all the other stuff might be the go. They are much better to drve than the others especially if the bride needs it for shopping duties.
cheers
Dave

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi bill

Hi kavs - a few measurements for you - agree with what Dave says above -
- width of seat base rear seat across front 1350mm
- across top of seat upright 1300mm
- I have my seat set fairly far back - distance from back of my seat to back seat upright 680mm
- width between wheel arches 1060 mm
- back of rear seat to tail gate opening 1000mm (floor)
- height of rear compartment 750mm (that's the lowest point)
Don't forget that tail gate slopes forward (check out photo of side profile) unlike my old Discovery 3 or Patrol.
Having said that it is a brilliant vehicle - our days of worrying about kid's seats are long gone!! Though we do have one grandchild!
Bill

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
No problems with either - 10th day of ownership today - 642km at an average of 8.8l/100km - very pleased - trip to Sydney yesterday - went very well - wife very comfortable, loved testing her heated seat! Called past dealer today - still no sign of towbar or reverse camera.....
Will be keen to see how you go with the tow bar install bill. My fathers has had no end of trouble. Plug into the van and it blows the car fuse. He tried my van and it blew also. Took it back to Jeep and they plugged it into their test unit and it works fine. Then he plugs it back into his van and all of a sudden all works fine.o_O
I hope for him it is not a computer bug or something.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Bill,

How's your Jeep Grand Cherokee going? I recently drove to the Gong from Canberra with four adults and some luggage and the car managed an average of 7.7l/100kms for the trip. Mine has the five speed gearbox, so once yours beds in some more and with the 8 speed gearbox, you should see some pretty impressive figures.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Bill,

How's your Jeep Grand Cherokee going? I recently drove to the Gong from Canberra with four adults and some luggage and the car managed an average of 7.7l/100kms for the trip. Mine has the five speed gearbox, so once yours beds in some more and with the 8 speed gearbox, you should see some pretty impressive figures.

Hi Luis - it is going very well! Still on second tank of fuel - mainly around Gosford + about 250km last weekend to visit friends further north - average consumption 7.8l/100kms - after trip it was as low as 7.2. Looking forward to seeing how it goes on trip to Griffith to visit family in 6 weeks or so. So pleased we made the purchase.

Bushman - towbar is now fitted - tows the box trailer very well!! Probably first trip with van will be to Mittagong again in January for my wife to do her art thing. Wish we could use the van before then but trip to UK and Paris coming up (eldest son lives in London).

Bill

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
By the way I have had one hiccup with U connect - voice recognition went AWOL for a while when driving 10 km to work - everything back to normal 3 hours later when I drove home. No problem since. Plus the air con plays up sometimes - one side hotter than other side despite being set at same temperature - dealer says this is a known problem and there is a software update in the pipeline..............

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
By the way I have had one hiccup with U connect - voice recognition went AWOL for a while when driving 10 km to work - everything back to normal 3 hours later when I drove home. No problem since. Plus the air con plays up sometimes - one side hotter than other side despite being set at same temperature - dealer says this is a known problem and there is a software update in the pipeline..............
That software update is available now.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Bill

@BigSkiddy is quite right there is a software update for the UConnect problem, and I'm pretty sure that there is also a solution to the air con issue as well. Take a look at http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm for the technical service bulletins and recalls on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Luis

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Bill

@BigSkiddy is quite right there is a software update for the UConnect problem, and I'm pretty sure that there is also a solution to the air con issue as well. Take a look at http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm for the technical service bulletins and recalls on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Luis

Hi Luis

Thanks once again - I looked at your link - looks like the air con fix became available just after my tow bar was fitted (if I read the date correctly). Will get them to do that when reversing camera finally becomes available. U connect has been faultless since that one hiccup.
Now for the brake controller - local shop that I have used for years only want to fit a Redarc - I want a P3 fitted (the earlier model Tekonsha I had in the Discovery 3 was excellent - that was difficult to fit - can't see how the Jeep is any harder - unfortunately the man who installed it in the Discovery has retired). I have downloaded the information re trim removal in the Jeep - showed the people at the shop - did not seem at all interested. Seems they fly by the seat of their pants when installing!
Might try tackling it myself.
Still love the Jeep.

Bill

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hi Luis

Thanks once again - I looked at your link - looks like the air con fix became available just after my tow bar was fitted (if I read the date correctly). Will get them to do that when reversing camera finally becomes available. U connect has been faultless since that one hiccup.
Now for the brake controller - local shop that I have used for years only want to fit a Redarc - I want a P3 fitted (the earlier model Tekonsha I had in the Discovery 3 was excellent - that was difficult to fit - can't see how the Jeep is any harder - unfortunately the man who installed it in the Discovery has retired). I have downloaded the information re trim removal in the Jeep - showed the people at the shop - did not seem at all interested. Seems they fly by the seat of their pants when installing!
Still love the Jeep.

Bill

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/the-towing-thread-62189-18.html
Hey Bill
This thread might help you.
The P3 is mounted inside the media cubby.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hi Luis

Still love the Jeep.

Bill
Hi there @Billrw136 If you are not confidant in the wiring aspect, perhaps you could do the trim removal and physical fitting of the unit, and the shop can do the wiring. I'm always nervous having anyone play around with trims. There is an automotive design guideline that says trim clips should be able to be removed an installed 5 times times before potential replacement. (Service requirement). The point being its better to be over careful.

DRW

May 29, 2013
its not that difficult, really, just make sure you pick up the stop light wire at the rear of the vehicle NOT UNDER THE DASH!!!!
IMG_0054.jpg

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
its not that difficult, really, just make sure you pick up the stop light wire at the rear of the vehicle NOT UNDER THE DASH!!!!View attachment 17118

Interesting photo DRW!!
DRW, Soaring, BigSkiddy - do you think I am foolish contemplating doing this myself?? I am not in the motor trade myself, though my job demands precision, manual skills, clear thinking and good communication. If I didn't end up doing what I do then I may well have been a builder, motor mechanic, or chef!! How is that for a mixed bag??!!

Very much appreciate feedback

Bill

DRW

May 29, 2013
IMG_0194.JPG
Hi @Billrw136 its no that difficult if you have patience (which I lost 20 years ago) and basic mechanical mind set, everything clips off pretty much, you will need the data sheet off the web, follow it and its not too daunting, I am an auto electrician by trade so I guess that helps a bit. I ran 2 x 6mm thin sheathed cables from the battery as well as a 4mm twin sheat down the back, there is sooooo much room under the plastics it would have to be the easiest vehicle I have ever run cables through, I went around the spare wheel and poked them out the bottom of the tub (must remember to seal them one day) As I said you must pick up the brake light wire at the rear, I tapped into the trailer plug wiring, if not you will be in a world of hurt, it affects the C Bus system if you pick it up elsewhere. I used the 4mm for this, one back to the controller for the signal and the other for the brakes to the van. I used a voyager which sticks out a bit, but being old school I prefer being able to get to it and adjusting the setting using brail.
cheers
Dave